• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

RJ Reynolds told to pay wife of cancer victim $23.6bn

Started by Mojo, July 20, 2014, 05:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Mister Kyle

Vio

QuoteSeveral similar cases have resulted in smaller payouts after the state's highest court ruled that smokers and their families only had to prove addiction and that smoking caused their illness.

So on top of Google Fiber, I can get paid for becoming addicted to smoking.
Moving back to the US seems like a pretty good move right now.

Toby

My reaction when I look in the refrigerator but can't find anything I want to eat

Owen

Quote from: Vio on July 20, 2014, 08:50:23 PM
QuoteSeveral similar cases have resulted in smaller payouts after the state's highest court ruled that smokers and their families only had to prove addiction and that smoking caused their illness.

a) google fiber is coming UK
b) it's not that he got addicted, it's that the cigarettes weren't labelled/informative enough about the risks of smoking

Good luck finding cigarette packets nowadays that don't have "smoking kills" on them.  (This guy died in 1998, long before health risk notices were mandatory).

And even if you did find a packet that wasn't labelled, you would probably only be able to sue the retailer not the manufacturer for selling old, unlabelled cigarettes.

Check mate atheists.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Vio

Quote from: Owen on July 22, 2014, 04:48:26 PM

Stop reading the Telegraph.

Owen

Quote from: Vio on July 22, 2014, 10:20:19 PM

Oh well.

You still won't be able to sue a cigarette company for millions, no matter how fast your internet is.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Vio

Quote from: Owen on July 23, 2014, 03:28:28 AM
Quote from: Vio on July 22, 2014, 10:20:19 PM

Oh well.

You still won't be able to sue a cigarette company for millions, no matter how fast your internet is.

Gonna be getting 100MB/s with current provide in September anyway, that'll do for now ##

Karlfischer

On one hand, I'm glad to see the the tobacco industry take a hit.  On the other, this is a ridiculous amount of compensation for one individual.  For example, if this amount went to the American Cancer Society of similar organisations it could do a whole lot of good.

Asaads Wife

TF I wish i got paid for smoking when I did. What a rip off :<