• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

health question

Started by jaredspurr, September 19, 2016, 05:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredspurr

so ive been battling my addiction to caffeine for a while now and overall my weight, i don't need to lose any crazy amount but a solid 20 pounds would be nice, how have you found a way to quit drinking soda/energy drinks? what some decent exercises i could do at home zero time for a gym, i dont have any weights other then my wifes 5 pounders lol

m249

For the weight, a solid diet would do the trick. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than your body takes in. Crash diets work but they're only temporary weight loss. It's been a while since I've gone on a diet so I can't give you any solid plans but look into stuff like what I said. As for the caffeine, try finding something else to drink such as gatorade, sports drinks, even water. You can get the low calorie sports drinks as well which would go hand in hand with your diet plan. It all just comes down to you and how much effort you put in though. Good luck bud.
I slay swamp donkeys for fun

Rsn_Orange

Being a fitness freak through the Air Force and before hand. You can use battling your Caffeine addiction to help your weight loss! That's some good news :D You need to slowly weed yourself off the caffeine. Here are some steps you may take (message me on discord or in-game with questions)

1) Find out how much caffeine you take in on a daily bases (average is fine). Good thing about caffeine you can trick your body by replacing it with other energy providers.
2) Now the fun part...not really. You must take in 20% less Caffeine a week. Weekly will work fine.
3) Since you are coming off Caffeine you will need to do Cardio workouts with high carb diets, so you'll have long lasting energy from carbs so you can walk, run, ride a bike, etc longer to burn even more calories. You wont gain much muscle, if any but you will lose weight really fast.

Your diet will need to consist NO soda, fried foods, or candy. Sorry, diets suck but they work. Your workouts will consist of bike riding, running, and you can even do weights if you so choose. Weight lifting will be LOW weights but HIGH reps. so like curling 15-20 pound dumbbells but you'll do like 20 reps with each arm about 3-5 times. You can find many many cardio workouts and follow them or make your own like i love to do.  :>

Mojo

Not really a health or fitness freak but recently I've switched to zero calorie drinks that still have caffeine. Might help a bit with losing weight combined with the better advice posted above.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

jaredspurr

i take in atleast 600 mg of caffenine, if not higher, espically on weekends where im not doing much but drinking soda

Rsn_Orange

600 is a lot. Eat carbs and that'll give you healthier energy but you'll need to do something active like I posted above. You need to get below 80mg a day. You'll succeed. We believe in you and have your back!

Keith

It's harder to cut out stuff completely than it is to drastically reduce your caffeine consumption. If you just try to drop it completely, you're more likely to relapse. I've found that when I want to cut something out of my diet I either reduce it to once a week/once every few days, or try to go cold turkey and then reward myself with a soda or something after i've accomplished a few weeks of success. But if you have an extremely high intake, cold turkey with a reward is probably not an option. Try reducing it to one soda or energy drink a day, replacing all of your other drinks with water. From there, come up with a replacement for the energy drinks/soda that still satisfies your urges however to a lesser degree (switching to gatorade or something). From there you can choose to eliminate it completely or just keep it at a moderated level. I've had many friends drop 20+ lbs purely from dropping soda completely from their diet. Use that as motivation. Carry a waterbottle with you.

As for exercise, you really have the whole world to choose from. Pick something that you don't completely hate and go with that. Pick-up football or basketball, go for a walk/run/swim, lifting weights can actually burn a lot of calories too if you're more interested in that (however since you'd be putting on muscle, your fat value will go down while your bodyweight might decline more slowly). If you want I can get more scientific or offer more specific suggestions, I've been doing this stuff/ researching this stuff for many years now.

Wayshow

Jogging. I lost 20 pounds the first year of college by watching my eating a bit and running 5 times a week. As for soda, I never drank it much, but soda water helps quench the bubbly urge for me even more than soda.

jaredspurr

i attempted quitting cold turkey i think last week and i was such a miserable person to work with someone bought me an energy drink and just restarted my wanting of it, it sucks cuz i literally hate everything and work with deep fried food, i feel like i would lose a ton if i just cut the soda/energy drinks out its all i literally drink every day unless i have a beer which isn't often, as for lifting weights id be for it if i had time for the gym. in about a week or two my hrs should be going up to around 70-80 between the two jobs both monday thru friday so no real time to get in a work out sadly. as i told orange in a pm my knees are junk from playing football back in the day. i tore my mincus and went back to football after surgery a week later (stupid move) so it literally makes walking/jogging extremely hard i do own a treadmill i am going to attempt to use that even if its while im playing xbox

Raging Mage2

IF and Pepsi max works a treat.

Click image for achievement thread!

#1 In Heaven's Slayer Challenge (2mil exp in 1 month)

Originally WG 16/05/06

Ranger

Quote from: jaredspurr on September 19, 2016, 05:10:36 AM
so ive been battling my addiction to caffeine for a while now and overall my weight, i don't need to lose any crazy amount but a solid 20 pounds would be nice, how have you found a way to quit drinking soda/energy drinks? what some decent exercises i could do at home zero time for a gym, i dont have any weights other then my wifes 5 pounders lol
I quite smoking 5 years ago :D I was smoking 15 years. Yes the only way to quite is taking a decision "No more!" and have some discipline.
I eat almost 0 fats ALMOST, no butters, no suggars, not any kind of sweets.
I could eat and drink anything, i love sodas. The way i stay off is that each time im to the Super Market and thinking of buying a coke, i simply think that THIS SHIT IS BAD FOR MY HEALTH!
Do not buy this shit anymore. Is addiction, all you need is to be able to make it with out it for 7 days. Then is over, your done!

Also take a look to youtube for a series called something like "My 500lb life"

Seriously is as bad as it gets, you rather drink a glass of beer or wine.

Keith

Hey man walking burns a similar amount of calories, it's really the distance that does it (100ish calories per mile walked, 110ish per mile ran, at least for my bodyweight) - it just takes a lot longer. I think diet adjustments will do you the best but if you really want to do something i'd suggest something low impact like walking or swimming. Working out also doesn't imply every day, you can just go 4-5 times a week. I worked 68 hours this past week and I still went to the gym on the days I intended to. I can't personally relate because I've never wanted to lose weight, and currently want to gain weight. But I also bike to work every day, that could probably make a significant difference if your work is close enough to bike, turns your commuting time into a workout that you don't have to do later in the day. Obviously it's more dangerous, but I bike about 12 miles at least every day, in 40 minutes (or less). I've also biked over 10000 miles in my life so my average speed is going to be a lot higher than what you could expect. For you I would assume somewhere from 10-15mph. Keep in mind that biking doesn't burn nearly as many calories as running or swimming per mile, you do them much faster and really only use your legs and a little bit of your core.

Lordsamm

Try to quit the soda. And limit your energy drinks. Always bring a bottle of water with you so when you feel the urge to drink something bad you can drink the water. You can also use some natural sweeteners in your water for a little taste.