• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

New PvP Fansite

Started by Al, April 19, 2014, 04:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Out of nowhere Buzz talked about needing to do sites for his portfolio, and I told him my idea for a PvP-only fansite. I talked about some of the ideas I had for it in the convo below in the spoiler, but I/we want to hear some of your guys'! Any input is welcome too.

Ideas I had so far:

-have a news feed everything pvp related fights, video, streams
-clan directory page
-page of history of the wildy?
-a guide to the wildy (map of it, name for each location)
-page for IRC like our Live Chat
-radio?
-new integrated memberlist system (always updated), partner with Paul from ClanBase?
-evolution/change of the wilderness

[spoiler][3:08pm] Buzz: What's this pvp idea
[3:09pm] Al: oh yeah
[3:10pm] Al: so
[3:10pm] Al: pvp only fansite
[3:10pm] Al: im thinking u could do grpahics for the layout?
[3:10pm] Al: nice for portfolio maybe
[3:10pm] Al: u can run a clan world type forum. new clan fansite besides zybez
[3:11pm] Al: pvp-focused only tho
[3:11pm] Al:
[3:11pm] Al: have a news feed everything pvp related
[3:11pm] Al: fights, video, on a stream you knw
[3:11pm] Al: clan directory page
[3:11pm] Al: page of history of the wildy?
[3:11pm] Al: a guide to the wildy (map of it, name for each location)
[3:11pm] Buzz: Sounds like it would work
[3:11pm] Al: another page for irc channel? like our Live Chat
[3:12pm] Al: i thought i had more ideas. but i've been up all night & it's 8:11 P:
[3:12pm] Buzz: My girlfriend is going home this week so I can see if I can get a layout/design down
[3:12pm] Buzz: got a colour scheme in mind?
[3:13pm] Al: dark yeah? for the wild
[3:13pm] Al: dark green? trees
[3:13pm] Al: black and dark green
[3:13pm] Al: maybe a dark gold for the text...? lava
[3:13pm] Al: light is too bright
[3:14pm] Buzz: light is clean
[3:14pm] Buzz: but I like darker colours
[3:14pm] Buzz: makes things blend more
[3:15pm] Al: ah hmm
[3:16pm] Buzz: only thing is we need something to draw players away from rsc forums and stuff
[3:17pm] Al: like a marketing/promotional thing?
[3:17pm] Al: i was thinking it'd be free of the trolls and shit
[3:17pm] Al: u know? rsc is a toxic environment
[3:17pm] Al: we would need a good moderating team for that. could ask gene for help?
[3:17pm] Al: bassism is a good choice
[3:17pm] Al: those guys have dealt with kids and they're both teachers
[3:18pm] Buzz: Hmm yeah, but lets work on getting it functional first
[3:18pm] Al: yeah just brainstorming lols
[3:19pm] Buzz: Wonder if we could have like a radio type thing like RuneZone?
[3:19pm] Buzz: might be too much
[3:19pm] Al: kinda gey imo
[3:19pm] Buzz: yeah but draws people in
[3:19pm] Al: also don't think there's much of a point to compete
[3:19pm] Buzz: Can't compete with rune zone anyway
[3:19pm] Al: people can just listen to pandora man
[3:20pm] Buzz: it's run by a jmod I'm pretty sure lol
[3:20pm] Al: it's run by a guy named nathan
[3:20pm] Al: his company's name or w/e is FactoryBox
[3:20pm] Al: he's not that big. it's really community focused
[3:20pm] Al: and a lot of people from the staff run it
[3:20pm] Buzz: It's affiliated with the jmod guy in charge of pmod stuff
[3:20pm] Al: ex i met a woman from my area actually went to stanford for computer and she's like head of community
[3:20pm] Buzz: cause his non-jmod account name is RuneZone lol
[3:20pm] Al: oh really?!
[3:21pm] Al:  fk lol nvm
[3:21pm] Buzz: yep
[3:21pm] Buzz: <-- Pmod
[3:21pm] Buzz:
[3:21pm] Al: speaking of j-mod related
[3:21pm] Al: mod paul m, also the guy that wore our tshirt in the stream
[3:21pm] Al: produced a video for the clan blue steel
[3:21pm] Buzz: god my dog is laying right on my leg and I can't fucking type properly
[3:21pm] Al: was over twitter.
[3:21pm] Al: LOL
[3:22pm] Buzz: Wonder if we need Jagex's permission to run a site with their copyrighted stuff?
[3:22pm] Al: definitely?
[3:22pm] Al: lol
[3:22pm] Buzz: Yeah but I mean like I wonder how we'd get that permission
[3:22pm] Al: emailz
[3:22pm] Al: lol? or i can tweet and ask one of the jmods
[3:22pm] Buzz: Jagex is really shit when it comes to responding to emails lol
[3:22pm] Al: or DM
[3:22pm] Al: i have a lot of them following me
[3:22pm] Al: the clan twitter account
[3:22pm] Buzz: dm 1 of them and ask
[3:23pm] Al: later
[3:23pm] Buzz: After we get a somewhat working model up
[3:23pm] Al: yeahh
[3:23pm] Buzz: I'll start working on it tomorrow
[3:23pm] Al: & also, we should try to get it platinum status fansite
[3:24pm] Al: just think cos zybez doesnt have that. and there's sort of a cold war between them right
[3:24pm] Buzz: Gotta drive 3 hours home today to drop the gf off then 3 hours back tomorrow to be here for work on monday
[3:24pm] Buzz: Yeah
[3:24pm] Al: if we got ours platinum ours would be a top destination for pvp fansite
[3:24pm] Buzz: and well just getting on that list is a good start
[3:24pm] Al: yh
[3:24pm] Al: we should be able to.
[3:24pm] Buzz: I wonder how much staff rsc has
[3:24pm] Al: quite a few
[3:25pm] Al: like mods?
[3:25pm] Buzz: Like actual people who manage the sites
[3:25pm] Al: i hate how it was bought out tho. i've heard of a mod they don't like it
[3:25pm] Buzz: and pages and stuff
[3:25pm] Al: the company is based in SF
[3:25pm] Al: cursed or something
[3:25pm] Al: capital c
[3:25pm] Buzz: lol
[3:25pm] Al: LOL
[3:26pm] Al: yeah but we dont need to be bought out i think...
[3:26pm] Al: just a page for fanz
[3:26pm] Al: would u put ads on it?
[3:26pm] Buzz: Yeah, we'd need something to pay for hosting
[3:26pm] Al: u mean the money?
[3:26pm] Buzz: yeah
[3:27pm] Al: we could ask the clan to pitch in. i'll pitch in...how much would the hosting cost
[3:27pm] Buzz: Not sure, I'll have to look into what hosting a website + forum costs (shouldn't be too much different than a regular website if it is at all)
[3:28pm] Buzz: and it depends on how much content we'll have
[3:28pm] Al: i'm not too worried
[3:28pm] Buzz: nah shouldn't be too bad
[3:28pm] Al: if it turns out good...i may pay the whole thing
[3:29pm] Al: yeah
[3:29pm] Buzz: Also, another idea
[3:29pm] Buzz: could host sub-domains off ours for clans to build their own website/forum
[3:29pm] Al: yeah. Paul from #clanbase wanted to do that
[3:29pm] Al: the guy who made the new 07 clan memberlist system
[3:29pm] Buzz: Would bring in tons of money
[3:30pm] Buzz: Just put an ad banner across the top of each page or on the sides
[3:30pm] Al: oh and yea i thought of this before with this idea. what if we did that and like acquired clanbase or something
[3:30pm] Al: no more unupdated systems like that and runehead
[3:30pm] Al:
[3:30pm] Buzz: acquired clanbase? as in bought them? haha
[3:30pm] Al: i guess or make our own dont need to acquire rofl
[3:31pm] Al: i don't think it's hard.? dude when i asked him to make clanbase for eoc he did it in like 40 minutes
[3:31pm] Buzz: Wouldn't be too hard to make a system like that I don't think
[3:31pm] Al: or we can just ask him to join us
[3:31pm] Al: and make him a partner/mod
[3:31pm] Al: he's a good guy
[3:32pm] Buzz: Could, let me get the basic stuff laid out and we'll see what happens from there
[3:32pm] Buzz: Got a layout in mind? A certain way things should be laid out.. Just like a typical website or would you want it to be like "really" unique
[3:34pm] Buzz: brb, gotta finish cleaning up
[3:34pm] Al: well really unique..in the sense i dont want it to be just a regular layout with borders
[3:34pm] Al: solid colors u know
[3:34pm] Buzz: ok
[3:34pm] Buzz: sooo
[3:34pm] Buzz: 1 sec I'll pull up some pictures
[3:34pm] Al: there's a lot of sites with example. web design examples
[3:34pm] Al: what if u made it in java? or something and it was more like interactive
[3:34pm] Al: like scrolling over tabs is like poking water
[3:34pm] Al: rofl
[3:35pm] Buzz: I think poking water might be a bit annoying but I can see what we can do lol
[3:37pm] Al: not that responsive
[3:37pm] Al: or maybe like a scroll wheel
[3:37pm] Al: imagine like looking at a wage at eye level
[3:38pm] Buzz: Just remember though the more interactive stuff you add the slower the page loads
[3:38pm] Al: higher or lower u move ur mouse, it scrolls the wheel
[3:38pm] Al: watch* not wage
[3:38pm] Al: oh..yeah
[3:40pm] Buzz: I'll keep thinking but I gotta finish cleaning
[3:41pm] Buzz: I'll be like 20 mins or so
[3:45pm] Al: np
[3:52pm] Buzz: Excited to start this
[3:53pm] Al: yea!
[3:53pm] Al: ill post this convo in general discussion?
[3:53pm] Al: ill summarize this and spoiler it
[3:54pm] Buzz: ok, sounds good. see if anyone has any suggestions[/spoiler]
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Mojo

The clan section of RSC isn't exactly buzzing atm. I don't think there's room for two pvp fan sites.

Also Paul from rsclanbase has completely disappeared so good luck partnering with him!

Also this forum is meant for WG/SG discussion but I can leave it here if you really want.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Al

That's true, but there's things I said Zybez doesn't have. For ex., there's a "cold war" between them and Jagex like I said, just to start. I'm sure we could make an impact and offer a better community than the toxic forums.

Like I said again in that convo, that would involve good moderating that won't allow those guys to be around and stuff. HL and Basim came to mind (that is, if they're willing to give the time).

If we do do the partner thing I'll try emailing him. And er...move it to Clan World Discussion or whichever's most appropriate.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Patty

Not to be a pessimistic cunt but why do we need one?

Al

For the reasons I've already mentioned, there lacks a fansite dedicated to PvP only, Buzz needs a new project...something I've had in the works for a while.

I know what you guys mean though, there's already one so why do we need another. I've heard this exact thing from others too, even Elder Jr (mod) from Zybez said the same. But I guess it's something new to try, nothing to lose.

I need ideas, things to put on it.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Vio

A thorough history of the clan world would be nice.
The wilderness bio jumps from the Sabres straight to the golden era (2006ish), so we missed out a lot.

If you want to rival Zybez, then I suggest you go full Nazi on rules.
Enforce the honour code religiously - I can see a RS clan fansite that's not 90% troll-infested being appealing.

His Lordship

What Vio said.
If you want to compete, offer the one thin Zybez doesn't have and can't get... a good community.

Al

Yes yes, what I was thinking as well. Ty guys.

By the way, this is all brainstorming, nothing has come into fruition, so feel free to blab out anything! Need to check with Buzz since he's the coder.

edit: I want to comment on the rivalry w/ Zybez thing. We do our thing, they do theirs, I have nothing against them. There's obviously a problem with the disrespectful community, and imo if we make this look good enough it's no competition. Why would anyone want to be in that kind of place anyway? If anything, this would make their community better.

Zybez lacks the stuff I listed and they are not a purely a community and fansite dedicated to PvP/PKing. There's so many dedicated to non-PvP stuff!

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Al

Just wanted to update you all on where I am with this. Since I started the topic until now, Kyle (Buzzard) has drafted several sites. Hours ago, he sent me the latest and it's good so far.

Yesterday, I also finally got in contact with Paul from ClanBase--a guy me and Mojo have been trying to contact forever because CB is the one and only offsite clan memberlist system and its sort of broken cause he stopped updating it. I spent hours into the wee hours of the morning trying to convince him of my idea and for him to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Today, he signed it so I'm opening up my ideas to him.

I also have one with Buzz and he signed it. So basically, it's moving from the idea phase to attempting to put out a beta site; or at least with some of the features Paul and I want the Clan World to use and see.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

P E A C E

Al

Thanks PC. I think you guys will like this. A lot of the ideas I have are going to take time, and not just my time--others as well. There's also some creativity involved.

I'm hoping to bring everyone of pking and the clan world a fansite to call their own, and not just traditional (honestly getting old) forums. The RS playerbase at large could also very well visit it and learn all about the art and so on...that it's not just a barren wasteland and clicking to attack other players and steal all their item. That was just the idea to start from. :)

So far, besides a feature that Paul put on ClanBase already, all ideas have been my own...so I could use some input! After all, it's for the community. Your questions are probably the best way to find out more, because I don't want to spoil or leak anything detailed yet.

edit: I plan for THIS http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/index.php?topic=9542 to be part of the fansite too.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)