Job Interview

Bob De Libra

Don't forget that you're also interviewing them. Have a good back and forth with the interviewers and this will give a great impression.

I've been a part of the interview process as part of an older job and one tip that you might not have heard is to not sound very generic. Its very difficult to recommend someone that sounds like they're just giving baked answers rather than engaging properly in the process. Give thoughtful answers, ask for clarification when needed and prepare a couple of questions you'd like to ask them at the end. Some good questions to consider are:

"What opportunities are there for progression?"

"Have you enjoyed your time with the company and what would be your standout moment here?"

"What is the work ethic of the team I'll be working with and the company as a whole?"

Last piece of advice I can give, and I know this is MUCH easier said than done, is try to be as confident as you can. Don't rush your answers and give yourself plenty of time to think about what you're saying in the moment. A lot of people speak very quickly and start stumbling over themselves and get more nervous because of it. And please please please try to not say "erm" before giving an answer, that happens a lot and doesn't look great! Don't worry too much about giving yourself a couple of seconds to think before you reply. Just stay cool bruh.

But good luck, all the best. Stay calm and you'll smash it.

Don't forget that you're also interviewing them.

"What opportunities are there for progression?"

"Have you enjoyed your time with the company and what would be your standout moment here?"

"What is the work ethic of the team I'll be working with and the company as a whole?"

I really appreciate your tips! I've never used that kind of approaching during an interview and it sounds very different and unique to ask questions like that, I'm gonna make sure to remember it.

Thank you!

I was interviewing for new positions not long ago, and one of the standout pieces of advice that I took with me was to treat the interview as a learning process. Go into it with the mentality that no matter what happens, you're gaining interview experience so that your next one - whether that be for a promotion, a new position, whatever - goes that much better. This personally really helped me calm down about whether or not I'd get the job, and as such I was able to give a much stronger interview than I would have had I been so worked up about making sure I "passed" the interview at all.

Previous answers about being genuine and asking good questions are also great advice, I personally always ask what the interviewers' favorite part about the company is, "what qualities would make somebody successful in this position?", etc.

Overall, just be yourself and don't be afraid to be honest - answering "I don't know" doesn't immediately write you out of the position so long as you're willing to learn as you go.

Good luck! The fact that you have an interview at all shows that they're interested, remember that and be confident in yourself.

bronzerange.jpg.fb56985f05a7f0d5765761a10bf293b4.jpg 3rd Place, WG Ranging Skill Comp Aug 2021

What helps me the most and what gman was saying is that you should go into them not expecting anything, treat them as a learning experience with a bonus chance you get the position you wanted. It helps me stay calm, as someone who would fret about an interview from the time I scheduled it till sometime even after it, it really helped me chill out during the interview and just saved myself from a lot of stress.

A big tip if you're doing a Zoom or phone interview is to make a text document full of well-formed answers or notes about all the typical interview questions you might here. I compiled a ton tailored to me from watching a bunch of different interview question YouTube videos and had it on hand to read from when I would get a similar question. Caution with that tho you don't want to rehearse those lines you write. I would only write short sentences I could blend together to sound natural.

Depending on the job, they probably had 100's of applicants or more and they chose you (and maybe a few others) from that big ass pile. You already won.

Member_of_the_Month_Kiwi.png

K1W1.gif

The previous tips are really good!

My contribution will be that you be yourself, confident and happy! No employer wants a robot, show them as well that you are a person with hobby's, a life, humor. Be yourself is what I'm trying to say. Do not also be afraid to admit both your strenghts AND weaknesses. Admitting your weakness isn't failure, it's actually strong and it shows that you think and have a good reflection about yourself. It gives you and them the impression that you want to grow as a person, and possibly within the business.

Also, question them. That shows you are interested in the position and think about what it would be like working there already. 

Goodluck!