2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™

Lait Choco

First a friendly reminder for our friends at the other side of the ocean :D:

handegg.jpg.47281978766a2134072fc3557fa16c5a.jpg

Now that's settled, the WC is getting closer and closer!

Group stages:

groupstages.thumb.jpg.8cd5d3ee26bd0020b3cc63c10ebd2fb2.jpg

Notable countries that failed to qualify include four-time champions Italy (for the first time since 1958!) and three-time runner-up Netherlands (2nd major tournament in a row they failed to qualify)

Notable country that qualified: Iceland (mostly part-time dentists who shocked the world in 2016 after defeating and eliminating England in a thriller of a match, also the smallest country in terms of population to reach the World Cup and it is their first world cup.)

First match will be played on 14 June 2018.

What are you expectations/predictions? 

For me, it's England-Belgium. A team that loses to part-time dentists VS a pretty much a non-country, exciting times ahead!

Edited by Lait Choco

theweakshouldfearthestrongk.jpg.3b9e29698395a861c20faaee06bb440b.jpg

Spoiler

bestfriend.jpg.a6477b72390f9e2e26fb0e7202d961a0.jpg

wguserbar.png

Q: Kimi, do you have any hobbies?
KR: I collect walnuts.

I'd like to say I'm stoked but Iran's gonna get its ass kicked by Portugal and Spain, one of whom is going to take the cup home I reckon. I always supported Netherlands but they didn't qualify sooooo I've got nothing else going for me :(

Every Euro/World Cup, we gather some family and friends, toss some money in a pool, and try to pick the right results. 20 of us toss in about 100 GBP each so it gets pretty fierce. We used to do it on Excel but there's an app we found and used that worked rather well for the Euro Cup.

I suggest we make one for WG and friends. We normally use the app but this is the site: https://www.superbru.com/home/index.php?

Says UAE at the bottom so not sure if the app's available for download in other countries' app stores. Thoughts?

Gfishing.gif

bcarpentry.gif

New_MotM.png

Genesis-Zero.gif.123aabd9acac43c8cb4dbdb97b8fb046.gif

• Retired Leader

England's current team is very underwhelming. You would expect them to beat Tunisia and Panama and the Belgium game is last so hopefully they've already qualified by that point.

If we reach the knockout stages then there is always an element of uncertainty but our teams tend to buckle under the pressure so I don't have high hopes.

Mojo WG Forum Sig.png

not very disappointed that we (netherlands) didnt qualify. we'd play like shit anyways and now I can just watch and enjoy the games without being too biased lol.

Imo Germany has the best chance to win but  I wouldnt be surprised if Brasil stood up and samba'd their way to the cup.

aaightwinter18.gif

WppQAR7.png

YT Channel

• 1 month later...

I've had a soft spot for Iceland due to Coventry having Aaron Gunnarson when he was a youngster. Quality little battler. 

Can see england/belgiums winner being 1st/other second. Hopefully we make last 8 but its England... media hypes us to fuck and I can see harry kane being injured maliciously. 

Don't get me started on our defence too. Hopefully southgate gets James Milner out of retirement to give a grafter to our midfield spine, the Ox's injury vs roma is gonna hurt us.

No mention of Eygpt in the first post too Lait. Big Mo will be upset. Its gonna be Him/Messi/Ronaldo who the spotlights are on this year.

Winner of this Cup will be france. Their strength in depth is ridiculous. 23man squad and they have like 40+ people who would fit in easily. 

36 minutes ago, suffud said:

No mention of Eygpt in the first post too Lait. Big Mo will be upset. Its gonna be Him/Messi/Ronaldo who the spotlights are on this year.

Winner of this Cup will be france. Their strength in depth is ridiculous. 23man squad and they have like 40+ people who would fit in easily. 

True, I'm legit happy for Egypt they qualified and it's all because of Salah. Even though its been since the 90's they've been on a WC it isn't something special to mention. Also why the hype for Salah? He played one good season at Liverpool, while the real test still has to come (CL final against a Spanish team), he's also playing with the Egyptian NT, who clearly have less quality then Liverpool so Salah will have a really hard time. Luckily they're in a good group with a decent chance at being second.

Thanks for rating Belgium that high! Even we deserve it so much, it isn't gonna be our year unless we get lucky again after group stages but I doubt that.

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, suffud said:

Tunisa and panama shouldnt be too tough for either team. Belgium think is a bit like england tbh, both get over hyped wasnt you 3rd favorite for the euros?

We were favorites but it was stolen from us. Now we don't let it fucking slip and bring it home where it belongs.

Also: tomorrow it is the first game: Russia-Saudi's. Boring.

Current power rankings according to the latest calculations from a local newspaper

10. Uruguay
9. Croatia
8. Argentina
7. -1 Brazil (can't make this up, srsly)
6. England
5. Portugal
4. Belgium
3. Spain
2. France
1. Germany

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

17 hours ago, Semb said:

I'm actually really hyped about this World Cup! There's a lot of good underdog teams that can stand out this year IMO.
I really hope to see some surprises..

Guaranteed to leave you seething, that's for sure! I know i will

11 hours ago, Albeeezzy said:

USA USA USA!!!

oh....wait...awkward

Yanks and Panama doesn't go well together eh :P Shame you guys aren't here though. USA vs Belgium was one of the best games of 2014 WC IMO.

Nice welcome message of based Putin.

Edited by Lait Choco

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

• Retired Leader

Don’t know if this is a bad translation or if Spain’s new manager is just dumb as fuck. 

Talking about Ronaldo after the 3-3

"It is extremely fortunate for whichever team has him, but I certainly would not change him for any of the players in my squad."

😂😂😂

Mojo WG Forum Sig.png

I honestly think Senegal have a damn good chance of last 8 or even 4. Teams got a nasty midfield and Mane up front. Solid defence too and the groups not difficult either. 

Called the Argy/Iceland score. Honestly can't see Messi.team winning it. MAJOR defence problems. Iceland for the last 16/8 please. 

Who would win? One of the best rated players or a fucking cameraman :1_grinning:

Vikings blocking your path to success in a major tournament since 2016, nothing personal kid.

absolutelysavage.thumb.png.bc857736e73ed7d480120a9261327fd2.png

Welt am sonntag bringing proper banter:

5b2651d71c04c_basedweltamsontag.thumb.jpg.9a950a5e0476ef2bed0dc03afe911c25.jpg

Edited by Lait Choco

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

Well that backfired for Germany and even Brazil is playing shit. Who would've thought that Neymar played this bad? Seems like playing a season against FC baguette and croissant ain't gonna improve your skills.

Oh we also play our first game today!

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

On 6/18/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mojo said:

2-1 England. Nervous win. Same old England 

Missed a lot of great chances tbh. First match on a WC is always nervous for players I guess? Could say the same about Belgium. :P

Anyways, Ronaldo carrying his team to another (cheeky) victory and Pepe being Pepe:1_grinning:

TSUUUUNALDO.png.891efce6ee3c65b7510b964e9aab90c4.png

TSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Spoiler

wguserbar.png

Southgate did well that game but should of done changes at half time. RLC for Alli should of been on 45minutes. Was clear he was struggling and you don't want to risk players at a world cup. 

Team vs Panama

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Henderson RLC Rose

Rashford Kane Lingard

Hopefully Belgium have an easier time than us vs Tunisia. Was a frustrating game to watch them play for a draw then cry when we finally got the second.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:43 PM, suffud said:

Hopefully Belgium have an easier time than us vs Tunisia. Was a frustrating game to watch them play for a draw then cry when we finally got the second.

I hope so, a win and we're sure of the next round.

Also, this fan is spitting at a) messi and the lads, b) Sampaoli  or c) a chance at the next round? 

:1_grinning:

argentinefanspitting.thumb.jpg.a96961547c6fc909f4f212e00847c58b.jpg

Twitter is blowing up in Argentina holy fuck.

5b2c1d6aba96f_HOWCAN1.PNG.a3caafaef61cbc377bc1102cc1dc76a4.PNG

"....That plays like david guetta and his four neighborhood friends..."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

5b2c1d715f620_IDONTC1.PNG.6f9b9a74ae9d1171898c9cb29b6798b6.PNG

"...who buys his clothes at the playmobil section at amazon..."

:""""""""""""""""""""DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yes, it's a great WC so far.

Spoiler

wguserbar.png