Flipping?

Anyone here any decent at flipping?  I recently got into it, and with my studying coming up I'd like to be able to try to seriously get into it while I study to make some money and be able to get some stats when I get back (Doesnt seem like you need to pay super close attention).  I know the basics, my only issue is finding items.  I'm horrible at knowing what items are good and what aren't.  Anyone got any words of wisdom?  

I was thinking of making a thread of my noteworthy weekly flips, but I was waiting on getting a decent cash stack coz I keep buying gear and not selling it afterwards. =X I used to basically only flip/merch pre-eoc days before I quit and I'd make a few mils a day with only an hour or two of work. My only words of wisdom is to be patient and pay attention to the game and understand why an item is bought or sold. Who is going to dump these items, who is going to keep buying these items, etc.

july17.png

• Retired Leader

never done it much myself. I always found that people will only help so much because it's one of those things where being selfish and keeping flips to yourself can really pay off.

Mojo WG Forum Sig.png

36 minutes ago, MrwnB said:

I was thinking of making a thread of my noteworthy weekly flips, but I was waiting on getting a decent cash stack coz I keep buying gear and not selling it afterwards. =X I used to basically only flip/merch pre-eoc days before I quit and I'd make a few mils a day with only an hour or two of work. My only words of wisdom is to be patient and pay attention to the game and understand why an item is bought or sold. Who is going to dump these items, who is going to keep buying these items, etc.

the way that sounds makes it seem like all of your flips would have to be overnight then or long term.  or at least that's how i interpret that

It depends, if you are playing RS3 I might be able to help you. Back in the day before I quit, papaya fruit and summoning items were good flipping items. You could try decanting potions, turning them into flask (6). Just checked RS3 Grand Exchange. Potion flask is 8,207gp. Saradomin brew (3) is 7,344gp. Saradamin brew flask (6) is 23,800gp. So 23,800 - 8,207 - (2)(7,344) = 905

So you made 905gp profit decanting.

Try not to buy 1k directly, just get a few and check how fast they sell.

Feel free to try with any other potions aswell.

Edited by Arphidon
Information missing.

I did some flipping to get started on my cash stack, but as Mojo said, most people won't tell other people what they are flipping, mostly because it creates more competition.

I am no expert on flipping, but here are some tips:

- Don't think too much on the margin at the start, you don't want to get too greedy at the start

- Fast traded items are very safe, but margin is not the greatest. Basic elemental runes, for instance, is a good option. You can see the volume of the trade of an item in the grand exchange side, e.g for fire rune: http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_oldschool/Fire_rune/viewitem?obj=554

- Margin changes relatively quick for items that trades at medium/slow speed. You may find items with very good margin at one time, but may be completely different couple hours later, so be careful!

In the end, all I can say is that you need to try many items out and see which one is good for you. Try items that are frequently used on skills, or pvp or even PvM.

Good luck!

Edited by Imitus

10 hours ago, DavyJones said:

the way that sounds makes it seem like all of your flips would have to be overnight then or long term.  or at least that's how i interpret that

I do fast flips at the start of the day (when i first log on) and then as I'm planning out what to do next on my account I'll leave a few slower flips as im doing slayer and whatnot (check GE after a task etc). In the night i leave some more safe flips for an overnight profit, but most of the profit i make is throughout the day with the fast/medium flips.

Also I dont really care too much about sharing flips, as most items are pretty known and items to flip change daily sometimes hourly. :P And if it's just sharing with clanmembers, i highly doubt anything would get affected too much.

Edited by MrwnB

july17.png

2 hours ago, MrwnB said:

I do fast flips at the start of the day (when i first log on) and then as I'm planning out what to do next on my account I'll leave a few slower flips as im doing slayer and whatnot (check GE after a task etc). In the night i leave some more safe flips for an overnight profit, but most of the profit i make is throughout the day with the fast/medium flips.

Also I dont really care too much about sharing flips, as most items are pretty known and items to flip change daily sometimes hourly. :P And if it's just sharing with clanmembers, i highly doubt anything would get affected too much.

Just share money. ##

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, MrwnB said:

I definitely get that.  The thing is, I'm not looking for someone to be like "yo flip this".  I want to learn how to do it on my own.  My only problem is everything I flip short term only nets me maybe a 10-15k profit (per flip and these generally take me an hour or longer), and I feel like I'm not doing enough because I don't really know what to look for in an item

Edited by DavyJones
add info

5 hours ago, DavyJones said:

I definitely get that.  The thing is, I'm not looking for someone to be like "yo flip this".  I want to learn how to do it on my own.  My only problem is everything I flip short term only nets me maybe a 10-15k profit (per flip and these generally take me an hour or longer), and I feel like I'm not doing enough because I don't really know what to look for in an item

Think about what people do in the game a lot, where they'll be impatient and just buy out an item without wanting to think too much of it. Slayers will probably want cannonballs or prayer potions, so you check the margin of the c-balls, maybe the steel bars because that's what they're made out of and a lot of people use alts to make c-balls, so they instabuy steel bars. Back to the prayer potions, a lot of people use these, what are they made out of? Ranarr weed, which is basically acquired through slayer or farming. People who do slayer will probably instasell them as they're selling their slayer tab loot, check that margin might be decent. ETC ETC ETC :P

The biggest tip I'd give you before you seriously start flipping, is get a decent cash stack. The more money you flip with, the more money you will be making. Even 1gp margins will be decent when you flip enough of them :P Definitely don't focus too much on one item (revisit it if it's profitable, but don't leave in an offer for an hour+ if it's still at 0 bought.

Oh and don't be afraid to take a hit. It's better to make a loss on an item that's been dropping and re-use that money somewhere else, rather than waiting for hours on end hoping that the item will be sold at the price you want for a small profit. Probably the biggest mistake I made when I was just starting out, it made me inefficient and even if I made a profit it was a very slow and tedious one. Definitely not worth. =X

Edited by MrwnB

july17.png