New PC Ideas

Mojo

• Retired Leader

Looking for advice on buying a new PC.

I'll begin by bluntly saying that I am not building it myself, pre-built only. Don't try to convince me otherwise because too many have tried and failed ##

Currently I have: 

• AMD 6350 Six Core 3.9GHz
  • GeForce 1050ti
  • 8GB RAM
  • Annoyingly loud fan

What I'm looking for:

• More RAM
  • Better graphics card
  • Quieter fan
  • Good for editing videos
  • Good for streaming
  • Good for GPU intensive games (Fortnite etc)

Budget: could go limitless but more likely I'll go for the £800 to £1300 range, which means up to $1700. Feels overkill over that price.

Feel free to send suggestions my way and keep in mind I am in the UK :) 

Mojo WG Forum Sig.png

After initially suggesting overclockers UK, then comparing pre built prices on currys uk and amazon uk, i thought amazon would beat overclockers custom build price by 100 pounds.

However, i realized you can unequip windows 10 from the build and reduce the price by 109 pounds. You can easily download and install windows 10 on a usb stick with the existing PC, install it without a key. Once everything is working you can buy a legit win 10 pro key on ebay for $5.

I highly recommend the below configuration. I was originally showing you a price of 1383. I think the extra 15 pounds is worth it for the better power supply. If you need to cut down the price let me know.

Screenshot_20201028-160159_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-160208_Edge.jpg

Leader and Head Warlord of the Wilderness Guardians

pksquad2.png

WildGuard let's gooooo!!!!           gold-ranged.gif  

XD2D1Xr.gif

Ex-Leader of The Sabre Clan

Ghost_Strategist.gifsabrewraith.png

• 4 weeks later...

go with overclockers they are legit

they have pre overclocked bundles you should check out definitely,  i spent like 1.5k and got one like 10 years ago its still going strong, 

pick up a copy of custom pc magazine 

https://custompc.raspberrypi.org/

https://custompc.raspberrypi.org/articles/best-gaming-pc-hardware-the-elite-list

Gslayer.gif

bagility.gif

WGTeacopie.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's a very good price range. You can get something quite decent even with a pre-built tax. Unfortunately I don't know where to look for pre-builts as I usually recommend self-building, so I'm not sure where to start but I'll do my best. I'm also sorry in advance if I sound overly picky but being someone that tends to work & recommend self-builts, I am naturally very picky about the details on each PC build as I'm used to picking the best/optimal components for each system. So naturally I will try to do the same for a pre-built. 1,000 pounds is still a lot of money. Best that you get the most out of that and not unnecessarily spend on something that sounds nice but doesn't actually do much.

First of all, with the new influx of the latest CPU and GPU hardware from NVidia and AMD. I would suggest waiting a couple of months until the 3060Ti starts to get recommended in pre-builts. For the same price of a RTX 2060/2070, the 3060Ti is far far better, and also a better bang for your buck.

The absolute perfect recommendation is from the rasberry pi website. That 1,200 option would be the most ideal scenario:

https://custompc.raspberrypi.org/articles/best-gaming-pc-hardware-the-elite-list

However, due to current shortages in stock: good luck finding that CPU and GPU. And even if you find it, good luck buying it at MSRP. This is why I suggested waiting. But if waiting is not an option for you, here's what I think:

Since you've listed streaming/editing as one of your main uses for this PC built. I really like @Flocked_Up config suggestion. My only issue is that Power Supply is pretty bad for it. I would advise asking them if they can upgrade that.

It would also be nice if the RAM could be at 3600MHz instead.

I advise against what is on this link:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-midi-tower-gaming-pc-configurator-fs-01y-tl.html

This does not meet the requirements for your use/expectations.

The build recommended by @Ghost Sabre with the 32GB of RAM, though it uses the Intel CPU, it's still very good. A decent build overall but a bit pricey IMO. Although if you're gonna spend 15-20 extra on a power supply, I would suggest Seasonic's Focus Plus models instead of the Focus Core models as they still use an older Topology.

Assuming that you will be streaming in 720p or 1080p, as well as recording and editing 1080p videos (I advise staying away from 1440p and 4K at this price range as even though the PC can handle it, the editing process will be rather frustrating), the ideal minimum specs that you need at your budget is the following:

- A 6-core 12-thread CPU with good multi-threading performance (Intel 10th gen or newer but preferably AMD 3rd gen or newer).

- 2x8Gb of 3000MHz ram for the intel CPU or 2x8GB 3600MHz for the AMD CPU. Please ensure that the RAM configuration comes in a 2x8GB format and not a single 16GB stick. You will need to bandwidth from dual channel memory that comes on a 2x8GB and a motherboard that supports the feature.

- Either a DRAM 2.5" SATA SSD or an NVMe SSD for your OS drive. 

- Any GDDR6 Graphics Card (preferably Nvidia) with at least 6GB of Video Memory to take advantage of the new Nvidia NVENC Encoder in Streaming/Recording platforms. This will allow you the flexibility of using your GPU power to stream/record when you are playing a CPU intensive game since your GPU won't be working as hard. Or to use your CPU power to stream/record when you are playing a GPU intensive game as your CPU won't be working as hard.

All in all, if you were building it yourself, this is the best thing you could get right now:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hkGP7X

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£269.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£170.40 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (£145.21 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£54.98 @ Box Limited) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£50.74 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Twin Edge Video Card  (£462.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  (£66.57 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1310.83

So try and get as close to that as you can. And see whether the difference in price for what you're getting is acceptable for you or not. 

I had a look at the two websites you guys suggested OC-UK and Scan, I noticed that anything below 1200 pounds is still using previous gen stuff. Which in a lot of cases was a big step down in performance and value IMO.

The best thing I could find is this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gamer-rtx-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ddr4-8gb-nvidia-rtx-3060-ti-1tb-m2-ssd-win-10

Although ONLY buy it if you are allowed to ask them to upgrade that Power Supply. I would highly advise against using that Power Supply on a system like that.

It would also be nice to get a ram speed of 3600MHz instead.

Sorry for the long post, I like to be thorough. 

Edited by Salvaresi