Fishing Skill Boss: Tempoross Poll Blog

I am quite upset about this update. They seem to want to turn every skill into pvm. If I wanted to do pvm, I would just do pvm, not fishing.

Furthermore, they want to reward players who prefer the pvm play-style when those same players decide to skill. This means that the people who prefer to skill are at an inherent disadvantage as they obtain less fish than their pvm counterparts, doing the same activity.

This has been proposed in the form of spirit flakes which increase the number of fish you get at once, in addition to this, they want to give pvmers the chance to be more afk than skillers, by giving them a fishing barrel which stores 28 fish.  However these items are only obtainable to people who play against the new boss. 

1 hour ago, Ivory Blade said:

I am quite upset about this update. They seem to want to turn every skill into pvm. If I wanted to do pvm, I would just do pvm, not fishing.

Furthermore, they want to reward players who prefer the pvm play-style when those same players decide to skill. This means that the people who prefer to skill are at an inherent disadvantage as they obtain less fish than their pvm counterparts, doing the same activity.

This has been proposed in the form of spirit flakes which increase the number of fish you get at once, in addition to this, they want to give pvmers the chance to be more afk than skillers, by giving them a fishing barrel which stores 28 fish.  However these items are only obtainable to people who play against the new boss. 

They aren't forcing you to do anything, however. It's your game, you choose how to play it how you want. The game for those who don't want to participate in this boss hasn't changed at all, and it is invalid to say they are at a disadvantage - a disadvantage to whom, and about what exactly? What is this "disadvantage"?

There is no fun way to play the game, what makes the game fun is defined by you as a player. "Efficiencyscape" is also a dumb idea and should be thrown in the bin. No one needs to play to maximum efficiently, and "every skiller" does not need to do the boss for the rewards at all.  Skillers can skill their accounts exactly how they want to, and nothing changes. Those who want to participate can put in their time and effort to get well deserved rewards which in turn slightly boosts their fishing quality of life experience. No skiller needs to be playing max efficiency, idk where this idea has come from.

You don't need any of the rewards to continue fishing exactly how you were fishing 5 years ago or 5 minutes ago, to 5 months in the future. If no one was complaining about fishing before then why would we complain if they haven't changed anything with how the fishing skill works.

they want to give pvmers the chance to be more afk than skillers, by giving them a fishing barrel which stores 28 fish

The fish barrel reward states that the fish can only be removed at a bank, therefore changing absolutely nothing in "efficiencyscape" since you can't empty the barrel at a fishing spot, thus not helping skillers in anyway at all.

Spirit Flakes are also an untradable item that is consumed upon use, whereby the user has a 50% chance to get another fish resulting in additional xp. Again, this doesn't sound overpowered in the slightest and still doesn't change anything about how the fishing skill works.

These rewards sound rather balanced. No one is put to a disadvantage as a result of these rewards, rather it sounds like you haven't read the rewards correctly.

edit: spelling

Edited by TheKlodster

windmill.png

B aggy quote.png

B aggy quote 2.png

ooga.png.14cf64d353881d11385aa4fb5c7c7a3c.png

unknown.png

https://www.wildernessguardians.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_01/biggest-bromance.gif.061f1ac08ef7d7851e92cca88e4b949e.gif

https://www.wildernessguardians.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_01/biggest-plank.gif.d437cb403b22ee9437b57855820357a5.gif

56 minutes ago, TheKlodster said:

They aren't forcing you to do anything, however. It's your game, you choose how to play it how you want. The game for those who don't want to participate in this boss hasn't changed at all, and it is invalid to say they are at a disadvantage - a disadvantage to whom, and about what exactly? What is this "disadvantage"?

I think you are misunderstanding:

Consider someone who finds the most enjoyment by being AFK and still progressing in the game. For this reason, the most enjoyement they can get is by AFK fishing. However, with the advent of the new boss:

- In order to be the most AFK, they need to play this boss.

- In order to have the best profit, they need to play boss.

- In order to get the best experience, they need to play this boss.

However, playing the boss is not an AFK activity. As such, someone who wants to get the most enjoyment from the game will have to spend several hours on the boss beforehand.

a disadvantage to whom, and about what exactly? What is this "disadvantage"?

From a technical standpoint: You will have to bank twice as much, resulting is less AFK time. 

From a social standpoint: If you always prefer being more AFK, then you will prefer obtaining the rewards because it results in you being more AFK. 

There is no fun way to play the game, what makes the game fun is defined by you as a player. "Efficiencyscape" is also a dumb idea and should be thrown in the bin. No one needs to play to maximum efficiently, and "every skiller" does not need to do the boss for the rewards at all.  Skillers can skill their accounts exactly how they want to, and nothing changes. No skiller needs to be playing max efficiency, idk where this idea has come from.

See above points on enjoyment. 

Those who want to participate can put in their time and effort to get well deserved rewards which in turn slightly boosts their fishing quality of life experience. 

They either bank half as much or obtain double the fish. This is a change by a factor of 2, not a slight one. 

You don't need any of the rewards to continue fishing exactly how you were fishing 5 years ago or 5 minutes ago, to 5 months in the future. If no one was complaining about fishing before, then why would we complain if they haven't changed anything with how the fishing skill works.

By definition, this is a change to how the fishing skill works.

The fish barrel reward states that the fish can only be removed at a bank, therefore changing absolutely nothing in "efficiencyscape" since you can't empty the barrel at a fishing spot, thus not helping skillers in anyway at all.

This is non sequitur. It does not follow from the inability to empty the barrel at a fishing spot, that skillers are not helped at all. Skillers who bank their fish will have to bank half as often if they are not using spirit pieces, or will receive twice as much fish if they are. 

Spirit Flakes are also an untradable item that is consumed upon use, whereby the user has a 50% chance to get another fix resulting in additional xp.... it sounds like you haven't read the rewards correctly.

This is incorrect. Spirit flakes are an untradeable resource that when automatically consumed while fishing, provide a 50% chance of catching an extra fish for no additional XP. 

Edited by Ivory Blade
Fixed grammar.

I think you are misunderstanding:

Consider someone who finds the most enjoyment by being AFK and still progressing in the game. For this reason, the most enjoyement they can get is by AFK fishing. However, with the advent of the new boss:

- In order to be the most AFK, they need to play this boss.

- In order to have the best profit, they need to play boss.

- In order to get the best experience, they need to play this boss.

However, playing the boss is not an AFK activity. As such, someone who wants to get the most enjoyment from the game will have to spend several hours on the boss beforehand.

I honestly don't understand this thought process. It seems like your argument is that to increase your QOL doing a particular activity in OSRS, the reward/item/boost to increase that QOL should come from the same activity and nothing else. So, you would want these rewards to only come from the fishing skill itself, correct? Except, that's just... not how the game works? Look at questing, if you want to unlock new zones, items (sometimes BIS), and even entire skills, there are quests you need to do. Sometimes, those quests have requirements on top of actually doing the quest itself. Now, it sounds like you consider yourself a skiller and someone who does not like doing PVM. What if I was someone who just didn't like quests, but really wanted to unlock the herblore skill? Well, too bad for me, I gotta do Druidic Ritual. Same argument to be made for countless things in this game. I want to PVM, I need Void armor, but to get it I have to do Pest Control, a minigame which is not PVM. I want an imbued god cape to make my spells hit more, but to do it I need to venture into the wilderness, a PVP zone. And do I even need to mention achievement diaries? 

Your nightmare scenario of spending "hours" on the boss beforehand to get these cool rewards really doesn't sound that bad. I can understand that if you are completely against doing the content, then it's not about the time, since you are just opposed to doing it at all. But, in that scenario, it's the age old argument that you are limiting your account by your own choice. Jagex puts the content into the game, and in classic MMO fashion, the content has to have good rewards to make it worth it. If you still don't want to do the content, then the rewards must not be as great as you claim. 

They are adding fishing content into the game (if the poll passes), but nothing is stopping you from continuing to enjoy the fishing skill as if they did not add it at all. So other players will be more "efficient" while afk fishing, so what? You are free to be just as efficient if you did the boss. If you choose not to, then it will take you a few more hours to get 99 fishing. I'll write it again, so what?

Edited by Cursed Rake