Suicide Awareness

Lunar_Intel

This is a beautiful topic, I'm glad someone talks about it, I had a similar one regarding mental health last year. I've had lots of struggles myself, have had a childhood friend commit suicide and a few years ago I lost a cousin, I also saved a family member, who is really important in my life, from doing it. Stuff like that (and also thinking about my family) is what keeps me from doing something, I can understand that it's even harder now (specially during the pandemic) to maintain your mental health, it has fucked up all of the progress that I made towards getting better. Needless to say, I'll always have my pms on in case anyone needs someone to share their thoughts, but please always keep in mind, suicide is not the answer. 

Corpi.gif

My condolences for everyone's loss. I am fortunate enough and realise that it truly is a fortunate position that I haven't been directly affected by a friend or family member who has committed suicide.

However, I do know that mental health is no joke and this year in particular has highlighted this with the various lockdowns going on worldwide; I think it's fair to say many people who may have never struggled before have faced a tough time. If there is one particularly good point to come from this year I think it will be that this is likely to be a turning point where talking about mental health becomes more accepted in society, rather than (wrongly) being considered a "taboo" topic. It will make a world of difference to many people. 

image.png.f4973e0a8d2e2ea735bd37b719f38639.png

Simmons_most_improved_pvp.gif

Simmons3.gif

I appreciate this post so much man. I'm sorry to hear your experiences as well as everyone else here. Personally I've had some friends who have attempted suicide or contemplated it due to severe depression and many other reasons. My bachelor's degree is in psychology I always thought it was wild that people didn't think this was a serious issue. Mental illness is nothing to take lightly and I believe you're taking the right approach in just being a proactive individual. It's important to be there for those who can use a friend, loved one, or even just a single soul to show them that things can get better and that there is always a solution to whatever problem that they have encountered. Everyone has a reason to live, sometimes it just takes some help from others and little extra will power. I'm always available to talk, even if it's the least I can do.

EDIT: It's also important to note that although this is an online community - for many it's an escape from real life. So any sort of hurtful words can possibly be the trigger pushing somebody over the edge. They may have a tough time IRL and don't need any extra stresses, hate or hurt towards them here. I know WG is a great and welcoming community but we are all human and make mistakes. We have to remember empathy at all times because you truly don't know what somebody is going through.

Edited by Indivi2you

image.png.736dfd40146518945cda6fa5fdf0749d.png

I think what you're doing and offering here is not only a very good idea but also very honorable. Sometimes speaking to someone you know personally can be overwhelming for some people when they are feeling depressed. I think talking to a stranger from the other side of the world who has experienced this (whether first or second hand) can be really helpful as there are no "bias"-ism during conversations. It can help relieve some of pressure on the person that is opening up.

I also enjoy having long deep and meaningful conversations as I believe that self-reflection is very important. Depression offers us the opportunity to do exactly this by encouraging us to learn and understand what is happening to us, and why.

So if I can also play a role in that reflection I'm am also more than happy and willing to be a part of that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...