• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

[RS3] Magic BROKEN - Read if you use magic

Started by Josheh, September 11, 2013, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josheh

Was on Reddit, saw this, have a read, it could help you out.

So with the recent changes to magic I decided to run some trials to see which spell I ought to be using. I tested these spells on the combat academy training dummies, and looked at damage numbers of Combust as well as critical damage ranges with Concentrated Blast. What I found is rather baffling.

First up were the Surges. Since these are all above level 80, I expected the damage of each to be reduced to level 80 (due to my Virtus Wand/Book) They were all reduced to the same number, but oddly they do less than the Wave spells. (266 bleed damage with combust, middle-1300's criticals on average with concentrated blast)

Even stranger, the damage scaling with Waves was the opposite of what one might expect. Air Wave (283 Combust, mid-1400's crit average) did both more bleed damage and had higher criticals than Water Wave, Water hit harder than Earth, and so on.
Lower tier spells seemed to scale normally.
I repeated the trials with a Grifolic Wand/Orb, and experienced the same results, just with the tier shifted down one. (Waves were overreduced, Blast spell damage was reversed, etc)
So it seems that:

1) Spells above your weapon's level are overnerfed, so don't use them.
2) Spells of the tier just below your weapon are backwards, so use the closest air spell below your weapon to maximize damage output.

Keep in mind that this is only with the standard spellbook using wands/book combos. If anyone has a chaotic staff and would be willing to test this, or would like to test ancients, that'd be great.

Part 2:

Virtus adds 15 damage to a staff, and 23 damage to wand/book of equal tier. Sheet #2 shows that damage across spellbooks is not consistent and that there is a spike near level 60.
It's pretty clear whoever was in charge of rebalancing magic damage didn't even look at their formula.

Edit2:For Comparison:

Melee level 80 gear hits 270-273 with dismember, minimum. [Claws/Maul]
Range hits 260 with frag shot using Royal/CCBs with royal or asc bolts
Using full Virtus wand/book, combust minimums:

- All surges/barrages: 289
- Air wave: 306
- Earth Wave: 298
- Fire Wave: 294
- Blood/Ice Blitz: 289
- Rock Blitz: 293
- Gale Blitz: 295
- With CS/Virtus:

- All Surges/Waves/Barrages/Blitzes hit 281
- 268 Air burst (level 62)
- 272 Rock burst (level 64)
- 279 Blood burst (level 68)

- 281 Ice burst (level 70)

Why is damage capped at 70 for level 80 weapons, Jagex?

Member since 8-8-8