• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Need a new computer

Started by Vephy, July 21, 2011, 08:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vephy

I need a new computer as my laptop seems to be dying out.  I was thinking a desktop but am open to the possibility of a laptop.  Something not too expensive but reliable and long lasting with good performance.  Please post any suggestions here.  Please post links as its easier too, it is hard to stay online currently lol.

sulaiman400

Well, it depends. For what purpose do you want to use the computer?

Current Descendant Guardian

Think you're this great? You aren't. Be jealous. LEAVE COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

Vephy

Quote from: sulaiman400 on July 21, 2011, 09:03:07 PM
Well, it depends. For what purpose do you want to use the computer?

Nothing fancy lol, gaming probably and running some applications.

sulaiman400

Just get a PC with 2.0+ GHZ, i5 or i7 laptop, with around 4 GB RAM... should cost you under 500, I'll look for actual examples after lunch.

Current Descendant Guardian

Think you're this great? You aren't. Be jealous. LEAVE COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

Nick

Quote from: sulaiman400 on July 21, 2011, 09:19:02 PM
Just get a PC with 2.0+ GHZ, i5 or i7 laptop, with around 4 GB RAM... should cost you under 500, I'll look for actual examples after lunch.
Basically what he said. If you get it in a desktop or laptop, they are both going to be great for what you need.

I have had extreme satisfaction with my Samsung laptop. They are actually built a lot like MacBooks, just a lot cheaper.

Original Join Date: July 3rd, 2008
Posts from /forums: 3340
Vixose on Jubei'Thos

Vephy

I wouldn't mind something expensive if it will last a long time too.

JC

Do you have a budget? do you play any other games other than RS etc?
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

James

sell yur geepees and haz best pc in whole wolrd

Vephy

Quote from: JC on July 21, 2011, 10:28:55 PM
Do you have a budget? do you play any other games other than RS etc?

I don't have any set amount, if it is expensive but a really good deal I'll get it.

Dog b2

my mates just bought a decent computer can play like all games really good its a 'Packard bell Ixtreme' quite good

Vephy

Orthux helped me find a nice build for $805.  Offer opinions here on it

http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/index.php?topic=354.0

Orthux

JC

Quote from: Orthux on July 24, 2011, 08:35:19 AM
Vephy meant to post this:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7500/screenshot055gk.png

He'd like opinions on that.

Seems like a good combination of parts, I personally wouldn't go for a Phenom II CPU at this point with Bulldozer coming very soon but I gather Vephy needs a new PC now, not in two months time.

I'd recommend saving a bit of money on the PSU and downgrade to a "Corsair Builder Series CX 600" (Saving 50USD before Rebates).

It's not quite the same quality of the 'HX' series power supplies (I happen to have one of the Corsair HX power supplies in my PC, lol) but for almost half the cost it seems like a worthwhile saving?

The CPU cooler seems a bit ridiculous for a budget build as well, there is a wide variety of much cheaper CPU coolers out there that provide a decent level of cooling without a 58USD price tag, eg. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for 30USD

I also have a strong dislike for Thermaltake, their fans are total and utter shit (I used to have a case of theirs and found that the 120 & 140mm fans in it consistently failed bearings) and I can only imagine that their CPU cooler ones are just as bad.  I personally would never buy another Thermaltake product, an expensive case shouldn't have problems like that when only 6 months old.

I'd also go with the Phenom II 955 BE instead of the 965, 200Mhz extra clock speed doesn't sound like it would be worth the $15-25 extra over a Phenom II 955 (which is $10 cheaper than normal until the 31st of July).  Note that it's still a Black edition processor so even if you found that it's performance was inadequate you can easily overclock it, I can't imagine that'll be a problem any time soon though.

Everything else seems okay to me (or of little performance benefit to change) but if you made the changes suggested above you'd easily save 93-103 USD (which seems like a decent chunk to cut off on an 800 USD computer).
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Orthux

I agree with not buying the Phenom II yet, they've announced that bulldozer will be shipped next month so yeah.

The power supply is something I would spend more on, it's arguably the most important component of a build and it's something that is going to last through many builds.

The Thermaltake frio is a great cooler, it is a little expensive but it's the only thing I have had a good experience with, even coming from a £250 custom WC loop. I mean checks the reviews out for the thing, it's one hell of a budget cooler.

Finally, I sort of agree with you about the 955 but I'm sure Vephy won't be looking to overclock for some time which is why I suggested the 965.

Toby

Looks like a nice computer.

David you got something good for me? I got 752 - 852 pounds to work on.
Prefer cheap good ones. That'll work with games like BF2, Starcraft 2, COD.
Good computer that gives good preformance and last long.

Desktop or Laptop doesn't matter.
My reaction when I look in the refrigerator but can't find anything I want to eat

JC

Quote from: Orthux on July 24, 2011, 08:15:21 PM
The power supply is something I would spend more on, it's arguably the most important component of a build and it's something that is going to last through many builds.

The Thermaltake frio is a great cooler, it is a little expensive but it's the only thing I have had a good experience with, even coming from a £250 custom WC loop. I mean checks the reviews out for the thing, it's one hell of a budget cooler.

Finally, I sort of agree with you about the 955 but I'm sure Vephy won't be looking to overclock for some time which is why I suggested the 965.

Yup, I agree, good coolers are great (I have a Corsair A50 personally) but if you're not overclocking then a 'great' Air cooler is pretty much un-needed and thats a good place for savings, the CM Hyper 212+ is pretty much the highest reviewed budget cooler out there (and will be totally sufficient even if Vephy decided to overclock).

PSU I again agree on, good to spend a bit more on a decent one (and there is tangible benefits of going for a decent one over a no-brander) but it is still a Corsair which is at least a good brand so it should do everything Vephy needs.  The differences between the CX and HX line seems to be a better selection of components in the HX ones (eg better capacitors etc) so it will most likely last longer.

I guess it really depends on how important saving money is, if Vephy doesn't mind spending a bit more I'd go for pretty much everything you have suggested, but if you want to save a little I'd take a look at those suggestions :P
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Orthux

Yeah I'd say get the cooler JC recommended and try and find some money for that PSU, I think that would be a good compromise.

Zurvivorman I'm sure me or JC could help you out with parts if you're looking to build it yourself (the best and for me the only option), I guess it comes down to if you want Intel or AMD. I've never done an Intel build so I wouldn't be able to help you out there.

Bgpgraebner

Thinking of my cheap-ass laptop, I think I should get a new desktop as well.

Can you guys help me too?

A few things that I need are here:

A) A quiet overall build, in my house there's no room for noise

B) Good overall performance, something that can run GTA 4 and NFS Shift on Windows 7 and also RS on HD if possible :3

C) Has to cost, at an utter most, 1000 BRL

Plshalp :3

Orthux

I'm working on a silent pc right now, it's one hell of a costly thing to do. I guess it depends on how much noise you can tolerate.

Also remember if you want suggestions from me you'd have to build it yourself, it's super easy but people are often hesitant to try it.

Edit: For example here is the core of a quiet pc:

410.37 GBP    =   1,039.03 BRL

And then you have the graphics card to worry about, this is something I'm still stuck at in my journey to a silent pc.

Bgpgraebner

Got no problem with building it myself, all my desktops were always self-built (if not, my dad would have built them ##)

JC

Quote from: Orthux on July 25, 2011, 12:50:24 AM
I'm working on a silent pc right now, it's one hell of a costly thing to do. I guess it depends on how much noise you can tolerate.

Also remember if you want suggestions from me you'd have to build it yourself, it's super easy but people are often hesitant to try it.

Edit: For example here is the core of a quiet pc:

410.37 GBP    =   1,039.03 BRL

And then you have the graphics card to worry about, this is something I'm still stuck at in my journey to a silent pc.

Haha that case you've selected is awesome, really user friendly to build in.  Not 100% sure that it would have enough space for the DH-14 Though? I know my 120mm based CPU cooler only just fits into my case (but it does have more space between the board and the fins than most coolers).

Anyway, I'm the opposite of Orthux, I've never built an AMD powered PC and I must admit I am a bit of an Intel fanboy.... I'll happily admit though that AMD has a variety of benefits and are in general better for those who have budget constraints and/or aren't worried about 'high-end' CPU performance (so games that are generally CPU intensive, such as GTA IV are more likely to benefit from an Intel CPU).

Zurvivor, probably the best bit of advice for you would be if you want to game (within a decent budget) you definitely don't want a laptop.  Are you willing to try to build your PC yourself or would you need a shop to build it for you?

For that Budget I'd build something like:

A Couple of notes:

The OS can easily be swapped for a 64-Bit version if you'd prefer, if you're not sure whether you want a 32 or 64 bit OS then you could opt for the retail version which has both (but costs about 45 pounds more).

It's actually a similar spec level to my current computer (I have an older Intel core i5) and of the games on your list that I have played (BF2 and COD) it will easily play them on max graphics, the only games it might struggle with a Maximum DX11 graphics on Crysis 2 and Maximum Graphics on Metro 2033
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Orthux

Yeah I've seen it fit in a DH-14, little bit off topic but when you put the side of the case on does the sound go noticeably quieter? I was going to go for a Corsair 700d but the R3 seems perfect for me with the soundproofing.

JC

Quote from: Orthux on July 25, 2011, 02:09:55 AM
Yeah I've seen it fit in a DH-14, little bit off topic but when you put the side of the case on does the sound go noticeably quieter? I was going to go for a Corsair 700d but the R3 seems perfect for me with the soundproofing.

Yeah it definitely reduces the noise heard from the PC, it was slightly unnerving when I first got it because I could normally hear my Graphics Card fan (I used to have a Thermaltake Element S Case, with a big ass dust magnet/fan on the side which let out more sound than it should) and it was slightly strange to all of a sudden have sound so well damped that I can only really hear the case fans now (and they're not terribly loud).

I also added a few fans to my case (extra front 120mm and a top 140mm) so it has pretty fantastic air flow (With the A50 my CPU is at up to 30 above ambient at 80% load/gaming, and 5-10 Deg.C above ambient on the desktop) and it still has a fair bit of room for more fans if you really wanted it to.  I really couldn't be happier with my case, such a pleasant change after that POS Thermaltake.
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Orthux

That's really nice to know, I love this Lian Li case but it would sound the exact same if it wasn't in a case at all.

The R3 seems like the perfect case, I just spent loads on these 120mm noctua fans and it saddens me to see 140mm is becoming the standard size on high end cases. I know the R3 can fit both so that's brilliant + I'll be saving £80 on having it over the 700D and an extra £30 for the soundproofing.

Thanks for making my decision :P.

Toby

Is it hard to build it for myself?

Does it got a keyboard and a screen in the pc you build? i need that too :P

I'm a noob with computers but whats the difference between 32 and 64 bit? I'd like the best one.

My reaction when I look in the refrigerator but can't find anything I want to eat