• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Bubble Tea

Started by Wayshow, January 05, 2014, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayshow

I've been curious, how prevalent is bubble tea around the world? I come from the country it originated from, and theres a tea shop every block, and I LOVE BUBBLE TEA. It is my favourite thing to drink. I suffer from bubble tea withdrawal if I go a week without drinking it.

SO. How is my country's national drink faring around the world? Have you tried it before, and did you like it?

If you don't know what it is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Al

Hey, former addict here, and there's bubble tea everywhere in California. There's multiple near every Asian community or supermarket. Some even in. I personally know two different owners of two different chains here in the Bay Area.

I heard it's less common in eastern US.

Thank you Taiwan? :D
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Wizard

I've never had it but now after reading about it I want some :|

Buns

one time i drank bubble tea and i got a stomachache... :(

Keith

they have one in amherst tim, shoulda went out here! i had it a few years back

dat boba

Mojo

Considering the UK is often stereotyped with Tea I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

yingyang06

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on January 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
Considering the UK is often stereotyped with Tea I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.

+1 to Mojo!
Lady Yingyang06
93/99 Prayer

Randy

Most chinese food restaraunts in my town have it and there's a bubble tea stand called tea time.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Al

Quote from: Randy on January 06, 2014, 03:18:38 AM
Most chinese food restaraunts in my town have it and there's a bubble tea stand called tea time.

I think you guys are missing out, but not everyone likes it. I've heard everything from "Are these fish eggs?! Jelly?!" No, they're called 'bubble' cause of the small chewy balls of tapioca.

I bet you could make some interesting drinks since I know you guys have more of an alcohol culture there. Could open like a Asian style bubble tea/diner place but with an alcoholic twist option. A cup here should be no more than 3-4$, over there I think it could be 3-4 pounds which is a lot more converted.

Think it would be expensive to import the tapioca balls too, cause of the freight costs from like Taiwan or Thailand.

edit: Meant to quote Simon not you Randy. :P
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

yingyang06

Quote from: Al on January 06, 2014, 03:28:34 AM
Quote from: Randy on January 06, 2014, 03:18:38 AM

I think you guys are missing out, but not everyone likes it. I've heard everything from "Are these fish eggs?! Jelly?!" No, they're called 'bubble' cause of the small chewy balls of tapioca.

I bet you could make some interesting drinks since I know you guys have more of an alcohol culture there. Could open like a Asian style bubble tea/diner place but with an alcoholic twist option. A cup here should be no more than 3-4$, over there I think it could be 3-4 pounds which is a lot more converted.

Think it would be expensive to import the tapioca balls too, cause of the freight costs from like Taiwan or Thailand.

edit: Meant to quote Simon not you Randy. :P

To be honest there is a stall that sells it somewhere around my old University so I 'may' have to hunt for it at some point when I get the opportunity,  The flavors look nice (Minus the Fish Eggs lol).
Lady Yingyang06
93/99 Prayer

Al

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Mister Kyle

So basically all I got off the wikipedia article is that these technically are called tits tea

Al

I don't think that's accurate. Native mandarin speaker pls.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Mami Tomoei

naw its just translation error... can sound like tit tea tho...

=) but it gets u the tits... so it kinda works.

Love BBT, infact had some today.

Al

Just had a cup.

edit: I even know one of Mami's local shops and we live in different countries. :P

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Tappaga

Looks rather interesting tea to drink, i would like to test this tea out with a little bit of jack daniel's on top.  ##

Wayshow

Quote from: Mister Kyle on January 06, 2014, 04:50:53 AM
So basically all I got off the wikipedia article is that these technically are called tits tea
Boba means "big boobies". A drink with a sexual nature! :D

Ms Teatime

Never heard of this "bubble tea" before  :|

Al

@MTT

Just saying, personally I don't like the term bubble tea, I've never used it. I've always called it boba (the chinese term for tapioca pearls/balls) for short or pearl milk tea. Cause it's like a black pearl, not even a bubble.

Basically it's tea (which can be red/oolong/green/black/and so on) mixed with some milk (can be half and half or soy milk) with chewy tapioca pearls. How and what the tapioca is made of was always kind of fuzzy to me, but this is a start: http://snapguide.com/guides/make-your-own-tapioca-pearls-from-scratch/

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

yingyang06

Quote from: Al on January 06, 2014, 04:07:49 AM
so u lied

I didn't lie, I spoke to a friend shortly after I read the post I went to Uni with and they told me :3
Lady Yingyang06
93/99 Prayer

Lighten

Bubble tea is everywhere where I am lol.

There is:

Bubble Cup
Gong Cha
Chatime

and a few cheapo ones

Kung_Man149

Quote from: Wayshow on January 06, 2014, 10:09:13 AM
Quote from: Mister Kyle on January 06, 2014, 04:50:53 AM
Boba means "big boobies". A drink with a sexual nature! :D
That must be why my LoL friends call eachother Boba...
Anyways, there are a few places out here that serve some bubble tea.
Used to get my daily fix until the store I lived near closed down.
There are also some Chinese stores that sell some mix and tapioca balls so you can make some at home.
Still doesn't give you the satisfaction of staring at a girl on the bus while you're sucking a tapioca ball through a straw.
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

Taken❒ Single❒ Mad✔
-----------------------------------------
[spoiler]
Former leader of - Rivalry Damage

Former member of - Menacing Warriors

Former member of - Silent Strike

Former member of - Valiant

Former Elite Guardian of - Wilderness Guardians

Former Advisor of - Descendant Guardians

Former member of - The Gladiatorz

Former member of - Wilderness Guardians

Retired at - Poison.[/spoiler]
Here he kneels, the one who doesn't need to, for those who do need to.
---------------------------------
Bold, handsome and straight up awesome.