• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Tales from Port Sarim

Started by His Lordship, July 15, 2011, 03:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite segment in the song?

The Pirate
The Raging Trawler Guy
The Drunken Sailor's Chorus
The Dragonslayer
Korasi
The Monks of Entrana
The Fiddle Solo

His Lordship

[smg id=124 type=av]

My music for the Golden Gnomes Entry.
This is the final version and includes the acoustic fiddle solo at the end.
All comments welcome, good and bad.

Kung_Man149

Have this on my phone.
I absolutely raped the play button playing this song.
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

Taken❒ Single❒ Mad✔
-----------------------------------------
[spoiler]
Former leader of - Rivalry Damage

Former member of - Menacing Warriors

Former member of - Silent Strike

Former member of - Valiant

Former Elite Guardian of - Wilderness Guardians

Former Advisor of - Descendant Guardians

Former member of - The Gladiatorz

Former member of - Wilderness Guardians

Retired at - Poison.[/spoiler]
Here he kneels, the one who doesn't need to, for those who do need to.
---------------------------------
Bold, handsome and straight up awesome.

Shinhwa

Dragon Slayerrrrrrrrr...Duh! Great job Gene! I would pay money to DL the song. =]

Nick

I like the conclusion personally.

Mind telling us the process that you went through to make this? I am interested. Like how you came up with the idea, who the vocals are, and such.

Original Join Date: July 3rd, 2008
Posts from /forums: 3340
Vixose on Jubei'Thos

Vephy

Corporeal beast plz.

The dragon slayer part I think.

Randy

Captain Randy approves yarrrrrr

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Zemus

xGod Fath3Rx

Awesome song, great job! :)

His Lordship

Quote from: Nick on July 15, 2011, 04:14:51 AM
I like the conclusion personally.

Mind telling us the process that you went through to make this? I am interested. Like how you came up with the idea, who the vocals are, and such.

Actually, it was easy.
A year or so ago, I was mulling over how I can do better than Jagex at pretty much anything musical they do.
Sea Shanties are the easiest pieces of music for me to write, don't know why. 6/8, modal, verse/chorus structure perhaps.
So I jotted down a melody (which you hear in this song) that I thought would go well for Port Sarim, where the original RS sea shanties can be found.

Lyrics have always been easy for me so I came up with the pirate verses and the chorus, a simple 1-minute song, and I had a decent pirate voice so that was simple.
When the time for the Golden Gnomes came and i was afforded four minutes of time I drew on the old Port Sarim song, because it had wider appeal than my WG Flash vids.
I'm very keen to win this one... when I saw there was a category for best use of sound, I figured I should play to my strength as a composer.
I expanded on the Port Sarim song, thinking of all the ways I could enhance the sound: instrumental section, different voice types and instruments, male chorus, key change.
The accordion is a good instrument for sea shanties - it is portable and therefore can travel on ships. Similar to the guitar, which is why I used the guitar for the adventurer's verse. It's the ultimate traveller's instrument. The recorder which flutters in and out sometimes is one of the oldest wind instruments in Europe, which gives the music a medieval feel. The pipe organ gives a sinister sound to the music when Korasi comes looking for the pest, and transitions beautifully into the Entrana section, since the organ is associated with churches. The A Capella voices backing the Entrana monk give that extra holy feel. My percussion is sparing because it keeps the music lighthearted and makes it feel like a folk-song. Tambourines and bass drums - very folk-music.

I notated on the computer instrument parts on Sibelius, converted into a MIDI file and then imported it to a program calls Mixcraft, which makes MIDI sound closish to live instruments. In Mixcraft, I sang over the backing track I made, and those parts I didn't do (the female and the cello solo) I recorded off-site and dubbed over. For those parts where there are multiple singers, I just recorded over myself many times. It was that easy.

Basically, Jagex needs to regret turning me down twice, because this really does shit over their Sea Shanties. Have you heard theirs?

DestroyerDmc

Iv never heard theirs before but i have to say i do like this one and theres alot of different aspects in this one piece of music and i think its really good how you linked it all together, good job :D

Samurai-JM

Do I detect a hit of Australian amongst that Pirate?

Nick

Are you making a video to coincide with the music?

Original Join Date: July 3rd, 2008
Posts from /forums: 3340
Vixose on Jubei'Thos

Robertwb69

The dragon slayer was my favorite segment followed by Korasi.

Kat

I like it lordy great job! I love the chorus it sounds realllly epic :] fantastic job
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sir Wolfoo

Really nice. Good Singing, nice use of instruments that go really well with the theme of the song and with each segment. I last logged out at port sarim lol. Overall great
WG since July 2004.

Formerly known as 'Iron this' (Account banned from RS on The 7th day of February 2006)

DestroyerDmc

His Lordship

What do you guys think of this? I won't say what I think just yet.
Compare it to mine and be brutal with your opinion.

Armybuilder

Not a fan but thats more cos i dont like how is voice is over the music

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013

Vio

His orb shots SUCKED.
However, I can't say the music itself was bad.
It does look like it can make it to the finals.
And in all honesty, the song would probably win more votes than a shanty.

We're in the same situation as last year.
WG's was obviously the better video, but 3D beat it.
Nothing's going to compare with your animation this year, but he has the better song.

James

demos right you have competition gene!:(