• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Aurora Colorado Shooting

Started by Becca, July 29, 2012, 01:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becca

i got into a pretty big discussion about this with my mom today and wanted to see how y'all felt.

it's pretty clear from the video that holmes is dazed. some say it's from drugs he was given while incarcerated in order to manifest compliance with police, some say it' from his extensive work in the neuroscience field that led to actual insanity.

i can't pinpoint his motives, but i think that holmes is very intelligent and may be acting in order to receive an insanity charge and maybe escape the death penalty.

here's a video of his actions in court... what do y'all think?

Aurora shootings: James Holmes appears in court with orange hair

Randy

Who knows the cause, but it's pretty clear he's insane.
There's probably some tests they'll have to do otherwise everyone would just act nutty after a murder

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Dieyou2000

Make assault rifles illegal.  kbai

Becca

Quote from: Randy on July 29, 2012, 03:18:45 AM
Who knows the cause, but it's pretty clear he's insane.
There's probably some tests they'll have to do otherwise everyone would just act nutty after a murder

unless he really is drugged out of his mind?

Quote from: Dieyou2000 on July 29, 2012, 03:41:53 AM

making something illegal doesn't get rid of it. just puts it in the hands of people who are already willing to do illegal things.

i don't know, i have no view as of yet on that yet.

Wind_Arcus

Quote from: Becca on July 29, 2012, 03:47:36 AM

making something illegal doesn't get rid of it. just puts it in the hands of people who are already willing to do illegal things.

Worked in Canada so far... Plus this guy was clearly prepared to kill people, he might be insane but I do not think this gives him any right to escape the death penalty for what he has done.

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

~Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

Buns

and he calls him self the 'joker' WTF is wrong with this guy

Al

i have a suspicion that he set it up to already HAVE proof that he was insane. also, it is evident that the psychiatrist didn't help, because he went to see her before. i read in an article that he planned it out...literally. he drew pictures of what he was going to do. now i'm not the type to rule out on opinions and assumptions, but this is just a guess. i think he was conscious of what he did. he might have set it up so he would use the psychiatrist visits as proof that he was insane. you know...the thing is i feel like he was takibg a lot of pressure from school (failing the exam). esp. it being one of the top neuroscience programs and phd candidacy. so i think he fell into a depression, after realizing he wasn't going to do well in the program, all his hopes and dreams and everything he worked for and lived on would flush.

i don't buy into the because he was insane deal. so because he was insane he gets a lighter sentence? part of the problem is i think isolation...humans are the social animal and isolation from society was part of the formula for his psychiatric problems
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Keith

The only thing I find odd about this case is that the guy booby trapped the shit out of his apartment with clear intention to kill anyone that entered, but plainly informed the police if he had done so. If he felt like killing so many people and acting out a specific comic, why didn't he just let them go in and blow themselves up? Unless that's what happened in the comic?

Becca

i've always been a big batman fan-girl. in the comics and even in the movies, the joker does things not because people deserve them, but to incite chaos. i think that's the whole point behind this.
in the comics, the joker always told officials (batman and police, etc) of his plans, knowing full well they couldn't stop them once they were already set in motion.

Keith

Quote from: Becca on July 29, 2012, 05:48:58 PM
i've always been a big batman fan-girl. in the comics and even in the movies, the joker does things not because people deserve them, but to incite chaos. i think that's the whole point behind this.
in the comics, the joker always told officials (batman and police, etc) of his plans, knowing full well they couldn't stop them once they were already set in motion.

shit!!

BeeBee

Edit: Idk why I typed that, bad joke was bad.

Pretty appalling to hear any sort of shooting.
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

Pacman Syu

Quote from: Wind_Arcus on July 29, 2012, 05:53:46 AM
Quote from: Becca on July 29, 2012, 03:47:36 AM

Worked in Canada so far... Plus this guy was clearly prepared to kill people, he might be insane but I do not think this gives him any right to escape the death penalty for what he has done.

Canadians are a different breed of men. But this guy obviously deserves the death penalty. Shouldn't even be debated.
NYEK NYEK NYEK.

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ :<

Reece

Get Dr Crane onto the case, amirite?
Flame Reece - Most Likely to be WG in 2020 - Winter Fun Awards 2013
2ez

Colinwarrior

Quote from: Rodney75 on July 29, 2012, 09:07:05 AM
This is a good read:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht
"Despite these massacres recurring and despite the 100,000 Americans that die every year due to domestic gun violence"

Stopped reading there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

"The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides, with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths."

And most of those were related to gang violence...

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Becca