• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Fight SOPA and PIPA

Started by Green, January 18, 2012, 08:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green

For those of you who are aware of the United States congress considering a legislative bill to "Stop Online Piracy", you must be well aware of the repercussions if this act were to, in fact, be passed. Mozilla, Google, Facebook, Wikipedia, Yahoo and other major tech companies are taking action to prevent this bill from being passed. Wikipedia has even blacked out all it's pages for 24 hours, to protest this bill.

Here's a page I suggest those of you who don't know what SOPA is read-  https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/sopa-pipa/

SOPA would highly effect Youtube, and would allow the government to censor everything on the Internet. That means no more music videos, no more game trailers, no more movie trailers, no more a lot of things. The US has the right idea, but this bill will NOT stop piracy. For those who are pirates, they can easily change their website name and continue on.

Please, support this page to keep our Internet independent and uncensored - https://donate.mozilla.org/page/s/SOPA?source=snippet

OT: This will effect EVERYBODY, even non-Americans. You will most likely loose access to more than one website you visit frequently. So I ask EVERYBODY to help fight it.

Mark

I set the standard.

General199

Students around the U.S. would probably also lose a lot of vital information that generally helps us learn more and further our education.

Colinwarrior

This bill has been around for months, but everyone all of a sudden cares today. Why? because Wikipedia and other sites are blacked out. That's right. In our society, people only care about stuff when it directly affects them.

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Green

Quote from: Colinwarrior on January 18, 2012, 11:40:07 PM
This bill has been around for months, but everyone all of a sudden cares today. Why? because Wikipedia and other sites are blacked out. That's right. In our society, people only care about stuff when it directly affects them.

On the contrary, most online users have been defending and petitioning for months now. The reason for the sudden increase of activity is because the bill is going to be voted on the 24th of January. This is a final attempt to raise awareness that if it is passed, it won't actually bring any good to the Internet.

Dieyou2000

If this passes no more watching 24/7 streams of Scrubs of The Office on JustinTV.   :'(

I think people are being a bit hyperbolic in saying that this will lead to some kind of complete government control of the internet as in China, but these bills are just a plain attempt by major corporations to protect their monetary interests and as somebody who loves to use the internet for pirated/illegal shit and thinks corporations make plenty of obscene profits anyway, I'm against these bills.

Thankfully, I'm fairly certain Obama has already said that if the bill comes to him that he will veto it....correct me if I'm wrong.

These bills started from the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) by the way if you want the blatant corporate ties.  It's about greedy movie execs being mad that they're losing a bit of their millions of dollars to internet pirates.

Toby

The US goverment just closed MegaVideo and suing those who were employees.
The anonymous is fighting against them.

MEGAUPLOAD IS DOWN!! Due to S.O.P.A | Help Anonymous with Operation Blackout to stop this!!
My reaction when I look in the refrigerator but can't find anything I want to eat

Colinwarrior

Quote from: Green on January 19, 2012, 08:39:59 PM

On the contrary, most online users have been defending and petitioning for months now. The reason for the sudden increase of activity is because the bill is going to be voted on the 24th of January. This is a final attempt to raise awareness that if it is passed, it won't actually bring any good to the Internet.

I posted information about it on Facebook months ago and nobody seemed that concerned. I was the only person to post anything about it to date. Yesterday, my news feed blew up with tons of people (especially casual internet users) that were all of a sudden hardline, head-over-heels against this bill. Which most of them probably only found out about yesterday. It's true man. You know it. People don't give a shit unless they are being affected on a personal level. Wikipedia blacking themselves out was probably the best thing that anyone could to fight this bill. Kudos to them.

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Flame Outlaw

Quote from: Toby on January 19, 2012, 11:47:24 PM
The US goverment just closed MegaVideo and suing those who were employees.
The anonymous is fighting against them.

MEGAUPLOAD IS DOWN!! Due to S.O.P.A | Help Anonymous with Operation Blackout to stop this!!

Thanks for the link man. That was semi-inspirational.. This sets a horrible premise for censorship of the net. Any website can be taken down just because it claims it has copyrighted material.. I'm trying to make everyone I know of this unconstituitonal like behavior. Tell everyone in the IRC, family, friends, and co-workers. Ask them to sign the petition on google https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction Call your congressmen, do something!!

Join date : June 2006 Left : March 2007 Rejoined : October 2009

Cyan Elf

Quote from: Colinwarrior on January 20, 2012, 02:28:35 AM
Quote from: Green on January 19, 2012, 08:39:59 PM

I posted information about it on Facebook months ago and nobody seemed that concerned. I was the only person to post anything about it to date. Yesterday, my news feed blew up with tons of people (especially casual internet users) that were all of a sudden hardline, head-over-heels against this bill. Which most of them probably only found out about yesterday. It's true man. You know it. People don't give a shit unless they are being affected on a personal level. Wikipedia blacking themselves out was probably the best thing that anyone could to fight this bill. Kudos to them.

I agree with ya, and same thing happened to me. Months ago I told all my friends/family about this bill and no one cared, well two of my buddies care but still, and now Wiki did there stunt everyone suddenly cares. It just the way people are these days.

qtoa21

Talks continue tomorrow right? This won't happen though and it will just blow over.

This signature is much more acceptable, and the seal is cute. :)

Mojo

New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Keith

Yeah many have known about it for months but I didn't see a single mention of it on facebook until a few weeks ago, so colin is right for the most part. People are only posting it now because everyone else is, like it blew up my news feed for 2 days and now is hardly mentioned again.