• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Meaning of life / the universe?

Started by X Warrior170, March 26, 2013, 02:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X Warrior170

What is the meaning of life to you, and the meaning of the universe?

Watch this video below for a 9 year old's real outlook on it, and it's really logical.

9 year old discusses the meaning of life and the universe

[center

granitecrab

Our lives may be carved in granite, But even the strongest stones will erode in the sands of time and will leave a fresh face to be carved upon with a new destiny.

You make your self, Never let the world hold you down.

i'm going on a adventure!

SquelchyFish

Philosophy is a sort of unintentional hobby of mine. This kid seems to be talking about this when he's chatting about the ant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
Tl;dr: people in a cave all their life shown images. They know nothing else but the cave. Everything is based upon their experience, e.g. intelligence is judged on who can guess what the next image will be.

I have thought about it a lot, over a long period of time in the past and currently I believe the meaning of life is this:

To stay in the game long enough to make a difference. There need not be a heaven, or a god, but everyone should try and make the idea of heaven become a reality on earth. If you die before you manage to make a change, however small towards this aim, you have failed.

Colinwarrior

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Colinwarrior

Currently busy with:

Randy

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Mojo

Pretty deep coming from a 9 year old :O
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

IlIScottIlI

meaning of life is to find your place in the universe.. the universe is a giant connection with everything influencing everything else creating like a web but also at the same time  like a domino effect were 1 event triggers off the rest and so on and so forth as long as time exists. some peoples place is to influence someone else in way that benefits or hinders society. others its just to have a child who may one day benefit or hinder society.

Ts Stormrage

Meaning of life...

I've always wondered what they meant here by "life". Just my life? Or life in general? And if it's the latter, does that mean ALL life, or just intelligent life, or just human life? And where is the line drawn between life and mere complex chemistry? I'm made entirely from non-living materials that can be found everywhere in the universe, and are its most common elements, so what makes me alive?

The word "meaning" in this case indicates a purpose. Something that suggests life is here with a goal in mind. If this is true then something or someone must have wanted life to happen (and basing on what we define "life" by in this question in the previous paragraph, the rest of what you're going to read can vary in significance).
But if this is true then it took them a bloody long time to make it considering the age of the universe, which would make this "wanter of life" extremely procrastinative/lazy/inefficient. So for lack of a better reason for life to exist, all we can deduce is that it is a logical step to happen from simple chemistry to complex chemistry to simple life to relatively complex life such as us humans.

Does this mean it has a purpose? It doesn't, no more than the universe itself or a single electron has a purpose... So the question is moot.
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

Owen

To drink, and sleep, and fight, and fuck.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Colinwarrior

Currently busy with: