• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Herro I'm a noob

Started by Dieyou2000, July 26, 2012, 03:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieyou2000

Okay so yeah.

Over the past like half year or so I've dropped like 15 lbs just from changing my eating habits a bit.  I felt so much better lately that I decided I wanted to take the next step of actually doing some fitness training.

Went in for an assessment at my local club and here is roughly where I'm at.  Height: 6 ft 0 in; Weight: 140 lbs; BMI: ~20 (almost underweight); Body Fat %: 10-13

I want to focus on tone, I neither have the body type for nor do I find bulk something I want to look like.  With that said, here is what the guy suggested.

There is a line of equipment that goes through all of your major muscles.  He suggested I start with 2 sets of 15 reps each until I get used to doing it (I've never used equipment in my life) where the weight is enough that it is difficult for me to get through the 15, but 10 isn't that hard.  Once I'm used to it, he said I can move up to 3 sets, and keep doing that and to check back in with him in about a month.  I'll also do probably 30 mins of cardio each time I go in.  I play tennis 3-4 times a week so I get plenty from that.

I'm planning on going probably 3 or 4 times a week every other day.

Couple of questions:

1)  Calorie intake - should I be taking in more than the ~2500 calories/day or is that only if you're going for more bulk?  Same with after-workout stuff.  I know you should eat some kind of protein after you work out, but since I'm going for tone, am I fine with just like a little chicken/turkey/nuts/etc or do I need that powder shit?

2)  I texted my brother because he's a linebacker in (American) football.  He's been working out for awhile, but his stuff is focused on putting on lots of muscle (he's around 300 lbs).  He said tone is usually a high reps/low weights strategy.  Is this correct because that seems like a contradiction from what the trainer at the gym?  Is 15 high or low?  I'm a total noob at this.

3)  Will this cut down some of my remaining fat?  I'm fine mostly everywhere except my stomach and sides (will post pic later).

I will post a pic of myself at the moment, a pic of the sheet I'm filling out that shows all the machines I do, and I'm fairly sure the line of strength equipment is called Nautilus Nitro.

If you have any other suggestions or input at all, feel free to say whatever.  I'm going to really try and take this as seriously as I can and put a lot of effort into it.

Like I said I'm a total noob at this so if I missed anything just say so.

Keith

High reps low weight is definite for tone, that's all I really do if I go to the gym (I do 3 sets of 12-15 depending on the exercise) because i don't have a huge interest in gaining weight because it'll just make me run slower - running will make you beast also! When I first started my calves jumped from just regular to super muscular in almost no time at all!

I'm not really the one to ask about weightlifting exactly but running i'm definitely well acquainted with.

Colinwarrior

Both your brother and the trainer are right. Low weight and high reps will get you toned. 15 reps is good for a starter, considering the weight isn't too much to handle.

Also to help with tone and to maintain overall fitness, go running or swimming. Do crossfit. Dance. Anything that makes you move your body a lot and exert a lot of effort. Just look at Olympic swimmers or Broadway dancers. They're toned as shit. EDIT: just noticed you play tennis. That's also great.

You shouldn't concern yourself with calories really. Just focus on eating the right foods. Even if you don't eat that much, make sure you eat something from every food group. If you want to know more about this subject, just let me know cuz I have a ton of information. DO NOT TAKE PROTEIN POWDER. That shit is not good for you. It dehydrates you, it's got all kinds of crazy chemicals in it, and it's only really for guys trying to get big. If you want protein, eat fish, poultry, nuts, yogurt, cheese, beans, tofu or hummus. You can also take all natural whey protein supplements if you really want to. Whey is best at stimulating muscle protein synthesis. There are different kinds of protein that all do different things. Let me know if you want more information!

And don't forget to drink lots of water!! Fruit juice and milk are also good fluids.

Btw, I am about 5'11" - 6'0" and 140-145 pounds. Don't let people tell you that you're underweight. Because I destroy those people in fitness tests.

Also does your brother play in high school or college or what? 300 pounds is a lot for a linebacker. You would maybe see that weight on an offensive or defensive lineman...

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Dieyou2000

He probably is a lineman Colin, I just don't know shit about football because I'm not really a big fan of it.  He plays for a college and he'll be a sophomore there this year.

Thanks for the help gaise.

Colinwarrior

Quote from: Dieyou2000 on July 26, 2012, 03:32:34 AM
He probably is a lineman Colin, I just don't know shit about football because I'm not really a big fan of it.  He plays for a college and he'll be a sophomore there this year.

Haha, no problem. Just edited and added some more.

What college?

Currently busy with:

Dieyou2000

Knox College in Illinois.

Oh and will this stuff help with like losing a little more fat around my stomach or should I do other things for that?  The trainer said basically to do as much of the ab machine as I felt like, but I'm not sure if that only builds muscle, or burns fat and builds muscle, and that's the only area of my body I really feel like I still have a little much excess weight.

Dieyou2000

Quote from: Colinwarrior on July 26, 2012, 03:33:53 AM
Quote from: Dieyou2000 on July 26, 2012, 03:32:34 AM

Haha, no problem. Just edited and added some more.

What college?

Knox College in Illinois.

Oh and will this stuff help with like losing a little more fat around my stomach or should I do other things for that?  The trainer said basically to do as much of the ab machine as I felt like, but I'm not sure if that only builds muscle, or burns fat and builds muscle, and that's the only area of my body I really feel like I still have a little much excess weight.

Colinwarrior

Doing cardio and crossfit will get rid of excess fat around your stomach. Ab machines are really only designed to build muscle, because you remain stationary while you work out.

Currently busy with:

Indivi2you

Im waiting on that pic :3
The First, the Last, and the Only ~FLO
Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion. ~Michael Jordan

Owen

SO. MUCH. BROSCIENCE.

Literally don't even know where to start in correcting all the advice you've been given.

First of all, avoid resistance machines.  It's a fixed, unnatural movement pattern 'designed' for the 'average' person.  Free weights are your friend.

Go heavy or go home, if you're lifting weights, lift heavy.  High rep sets (12-15) are not for 'tone', it's for muscular endurance.  Moderate rep sets (6-12) promote the most muscle growth.  And low rep sets (1-5) with high weights, build strength.  There is some crossover between these, so doing ~5 rep sets will build strength and some muscle.  If you want to improve your endurance do cardio (running/swimming/cycling or circuit training).

Start squatting now, Squats are a God-Tier exercise for a number of reasons: 1. The sheer volume of muscles it engages. 2. The hormonal and metabolic effect that activating all these muscles will have on muscle growth and fat loss.  3.  Psychologically speaking, there's no better feeling than having a loaded barbell across your back, squatting down, then putting everything you have into lifting that fucker up.

You need to be doing compound (uses multiple muscle group) exercises:

1. Squats
2. Bench Press
3. Deadlift
4. Rows
5. Pullups
6. Overhead Press

Get a trainer to teach you proper form, then report back with how he taught you, so I can correct it.

Diet: Go Paleo, if it moves or grows in nature, eat it: fruits, nuts, seeds, meats.  Avoid processed/manmade foods, including grains if possible.

I could talk about this for ages...

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Colinwarrior

Pfft...what have you got against my advice Owen??

Currently busy with:

Raging Mage2

Quote from: Colinwarrior on July 26, 2012, 06:31:09 PM

The fact his is better haha?

love you

Click image for achievement thread!

#1 In Heaven's Slayer Challenge (2mil exp in 1 month)

Originally WG 16/05/06

Colinwarrior

Quote from: Raging Mage2 on July 26, 2012, 08:59:58 PM
Quote from: Colinwarrior on July 26, 2012, 06:31:09 PM

The fact his is better haha?

love you

JERK  :'(

Currently busy with:

Randy

What owen said really.
I'm pretty much the same as you and that's what I was told. Almost that exact routine really.
Good luck frand

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Dieyou2000

Quote from: Randy on July 27, 2012, 12:43:05 AM
What owen said really.
I'm pretty much the same as you and that's what I was told. Almost that exact routine really.
Good luck frand

Tanks boadee!