• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Jagex gave me a free membership.

Started by Asaad, February 08, 2013, 12:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asaad

I got this email on Monday. I thought it was just spam. I filled it out a survey that pertained to membership and gaming inside runescape, and they said that they will give me membership in a couple of days. This was the message.

I thought it was nothing. Today, I had to check my spam folder for some college emails, when i saw that i got an email for my loyalty points being updated. I logged in RS and surely enough I have a free membership. Yey.
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Mojo

That does not sound right dude...

I'd be very surprised if that was real
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Asaad

Mojo, I am surprised too. I thought it was a scam. Also, usually when you go get a mem they send you a message that says, "Thank you for your custom." There was no message.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MeXi

Wow, Congratz on the free membership!

Owen

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Asaad

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Wind_Arcus

First things first, run a virus scan on your computer. Then you want to change your email accounts password and Runescape account password.

No matter how legit this seems, its still looks fishy to me. Jagex has a perfectly good website to run polls and surveys if they need, they shouldn't need third party websites to run it. Second, it usually takes more then just a simple survey to give out 30 days of free membership, something definitely doesn't seem right.

Good luck, its still a free membership, just making sure you don't lose something for it.  ^.^

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

~Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

Asaad

I did the survey off of my apple phone so it won't get viruses. I am not sure of the phishing, so i'll change the pass for sure.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Al

"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Randy

Is one month of membership worth risking your account over?
[spoiler]no[/spoiler]

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Jesse

Jagex account guardian for the win! With it and my pin, no worries. I could post my user and password on every thread and not worry. Jagex has really stamped out phishing. If you get phished, its cause you aren't using the features. However, for PC users there are still the threat of actual viruses, worst for a gamer probably being a RAT. That would suck. Always gotta be careful, those emails seem shady as fuck. Just saying.

JC

Quote from: Wind_Arcus on February 08, 2013, 04:16:05 AM
No matter how legit this seems, its still looks fishy to me. Jagex has a perfectly good website to run polls and surveys if they need, they shouldn't need third party websites to run it. Second, it usually takes more then just a simple survey to give out 30 days of free membership, something definitely doesn't seem right.

In regard to using Surveymonkey to conduct 'non-general' polls - they have a history of doing this (why bother going to all the effort of setting up a survey system when people do a perfectly good job elsewhere) so I wouldn't consider that a sign of being fishy.
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Dratz

LOL. You have one month of membership but you probably won't have your account for long.

Hog - Biggest Keyboard Warrior - Winter Fun Awards 2013

Buns

whats funny is i got a free 14 day mems for jagex

Mojo

Quote from: Healer MD on February 08, 2013, 11:37:50 PM
whats funny is i got a free 14 day mems for jagex
that's different though, that's the trial membership which they offer to all F2P people and you don't need to go off the RS website and fill in some dodgy survey to get it. Just validate email I think.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Rick

Reminds me a bit of when I demanded cheaper Membership when I began playing again last summer:

It was only as a bit of a joke, felt a bit guilty with how I 'expressed' my demand so I went on RSB to compliment Mod Frost.  ^.^

Jesse

Wow, nice. Maybe I need to start being more ballzy about things, it seems to be getting a lot of stuff done, surprisingly. Most other games I've played, being demanding towards staff got you more trouble than good.