• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Quit Smoking?

Started by Zyruth, July 03, 2013, 08:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zyruth

Ello guys, i've been a smoker for 5 years now, I tried to quit smoking couple of times in the past, and the last time i tried to quit is like 2 days ago and i failed again today, i lighted a cig again while posting this. it seems like not possible at all for me even i eat sweets and any kind of tibits i can munch on. i need a ex-smoker to give me some advice to quit this shit once and for all.  :fp:
Patience is the key to Success.

Lighten

You gotta slowly decrease the amount of cigarettes you have a day. Have a schedule planned everyday or something and lower it by one stick each time. Gradually you will get less addicted to it, then quit.

Vio

Don't eat sweets, eat oranges or tangerines, they help satisfy nicotine cravings

Al

i wouldn't know how it feels or qualified to know, but it's good that you acknowledge the problem and you're motivated to quit. sending some encouragement your way.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Zyruth

Okay thanks for the advice, i'll try everything you guys recommended.
hope i can overcome this time round. >.<

Wayshow

I don't smoke, never have, probably won't until I start having to smoke for work reasons....
Good luck with your quitting! My grandpa could do it, so can you!

Randy

Have you considered the patches? I've heard they can do wonders.
Good luck though man

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Asaad

Nicotine patches + decreasing your intake over time.

You're body needs it, as if it was dependent on it. A sudden change could give serious withdrawal and I would just like to wish you good luck from there.
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

BeeBee

Watch out on the patches, my dad got bad hallucinations from them l0l.

But yeah, I don't smoke.
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

Vio

Quote from: Panda|Vulcan on July 03, 2013, 04:51:37 PM
Watch out on the patches, my dad got bad hallucinations from them l0l.

I'd probably consider quitting just for that reason lol

Rachellove9

I haven't smoked but I have have helped a friend quit.
They smoked about 2 packs a day and so skinny.
No worry about weight gain just so you know in about 4 to 6 months you will return to whatever weight you are currently.

I held the cigs and only gave so many a day til went to only 1 every other day.
However the rules was no smoking in the same places as before.
So they couldn't smoke anywhere they had in the past.
Making it more of actually smoking and not a social thing or habit of what the situation was.

Smoking can be for so many reasons not having anything to do with the cigs.
Figure out where and why and what triggers you lighting up.

It takes 6 months for your lungs to be like 90 percent cleared.
You can have the same chances of cancer and other negative things in 2 years as someone who has never smoked.
You will enjoy the heath benefits for the rest of your life.

Good luck and keep trying.

Zyruth

My 5th day of quitting, im expriencing quite a number of withdrawal symtoms.. The urge for me to light a cig up is getting more and more instense and i've a long way to endure, 25 more days to "most likey" quit this once and for all!! Will update this every 5 days!  :X

Laurennio

The most hardest is the first week, if you could make it through week without smoking it would be a huge step. Go for it :)

"Pure Rock Souls."

Rachellove9

Stay away those trigger smoking areas as much as possible.
You can do this.
You have done 5 days already just take it one day at a time.
No one gets to end goals without following through on the steps to get there.
You are on your way to success already.

Asaad

Wish you all the best.
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Wizard

I've tried the gum and patches, neither worked for me, so I have slowly decreased my intake from 2 packs a day down to half a pack, it seems to work as I crave them less the less I smoke, hopefully eventually I'll be able to get off of them for good :)

Laurennio

Quote from: Wizard on July 16, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
I've tried the gum and patches, neither worked for me, so I have slowly decreased my intake from 2 packs a day down to half a pack, it seems to work as I crave them less the less I smoke, hopefully eventually I'll be able to get off of them for good :)
My friend got off smoking with method like this in like ~4 years :)

"Pure Rock Souls."

kylewelsch

It requires a lot of mental discipline. Just want to quit really bad and find some other activity you can easily do when you feel the urge to smoke like rub your fingers together.

This Babylon

Winners never quit. Quitters never win

Sgt Sethalas

If you cave in again, or the craving becomes unbearable, get an e-cig. Vaping worked for me... I haven't lit up once since the day I bought it.

YumYumMix

u should try to use the nicotine patch

Bramber_nl

Just be strong. I went from a pack of cigarettes a day to a half pack a week. The hardest part for me is to not smoke while drinking beer, but all the other cigarettes are easy to skip.  But if I really want it I could quit them, but I don't want it that hard.

Good luck man! It's hard but definitely worth it!!
EOC makes me sad

Shinhwa

I think it all depends on what type of smoker you are like the motion of moving something back and forth to your mouth or by something Rachel said, location.

I still smoke the most when I'm driving. I desperately need one when I know I can't smoke.

My job eliminated smoking for all employees so our Insurance Premium would go down. I used to smoke at least 5 cigs while I was at work. I can now work a 12 hours shift without even  craving one.

What sucks is as soon as I pull out of the employee parking lot I light up a cigarette. Try what Rachel suggests, stay away from trigger locations. I obviously can't avoid my car but I used to smoke a pack a day and a pack usually lasts me about a week and a half now.

Rachellove9

Jean you need to have something else like to keep you from lighting up in the car.
I'd suggest something that would take you most of your trip home to eat or drink.
Concentrate on the item and enjoy each thing you like about it.

For instance let's say it's carrots.
Think first of the pretty orange color, nice texture, crunchy, taste how much you have to chew it. 
Anything to keep you from thinking of cigs.