• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Had an argument in class about multiculturalism yesterday...

Started by Ts Stormrage, October 08, 2014, 02:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ts Stormrage

...And someone argued that Star Trek's prime directive (not interfering in primitive cultures) is probably the best foreign policy that western nations should adopt...

Here's my paraphrased and elaborated counter argument...

"Hmm... Are we saying that the arab, islamic, desert, or whatever you want to call it, is a primitive culture, and should therefore not interfere, and let it be?

In essence, I would agree. This also goes for most of sub-Saharan Africa, and certain rural areas in the southern United States. However...

We live in a globalised, or at least globalizing world, with common trends (Gucci is just as popular in South Africa, as it is in Japan, Vietnam, the United Arab Emirates, or in the Western world), a common telecommunications system (the interwebs), and trends toward the common (english globally as a 2nd language, and judging on the invention of Pinyin, the ever more prevalant usage of the latin alphabet).

What happens culturally elsewhere in the world affects me, be it economically, financially, environmentally, physically, or psychologically, especially when different cultures with different standards of what is considered "normal" collide.

So what should we do?

Multiculturalism has utterly failed, so what we need to do is take the best part of each culture and discard the rest of it.

Whatever enhances the quality of life for most people in the world should happen, and if that goes against some archaic belief, tradition or ritual that your daddy's dad before him has taught you, tough luck.

NO REALLY; get over it. Women deserve the same opportunities and freedoms as men do. Blacks can be racists and gays are people too. Democratic rule of law works better than honorrape- and vengeancekilling- autocracies and theocracies. The Death-penalty doesn't work. The Scientific method does. Global Warming is Climate Change and it's really happening. Pluto isn't a planet anymore, and alternative medicine isn't medicine.

Peace!"

Btw, the class is called Educational Sociology and Diversity...
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

Vio

Quote from: Ts Stormrage on October 08, 2014, 02:11:35 PM
Multiculturalism has utterly failed, so what we need to do is take the best part of each culture and discard the rest of it.

Blonde hair and blue eyes, amirite?

Randy

You can't reason people out of beliefs that they were not reasoned into.
Every generation gets more understanding and accepting. It's a time game.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Vio

Quote from: Randy on October 08, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
You can't reason people out of beliefs that they were not reasoned into.

But you can kill them.

And less people means less carbon footprints, so we solve overpopulation and climate change at the same time.

Dorcha3377

Ts Stormrage

If you always kill the weakest ones (say, the 10% most useless and detrimental to humanity's progress), you're eventually going to be in that group to be "recycled" one day...

Btw, I never said killing. I said to get over it. Discard useless traditions, beliefs and so on. But Randy is only partially right. It so happens that one of those antiquated ideas is to have 897345 children. Time might be on our side, but stupidity breeds a helluva lot faster.
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.