• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Lance Armstrong

Started by Al, October 22, 2012, 08:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Cba to write my own opinion atm, but I'll take this off a comment page because it's similar to what I think.

"Lance passed the tests he was required to pass and won the titles per the rules."
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Chilli

I think he is a real disgrace to the sport, Cycling wont be the same for years now, More so in america for how much agro he has caused

Thanks babylon

-Ex The Sabre Clan 2004-2013
-Event team
-Warlord
-Leader

Mojo

Quote from: Al on October 22, 2012, 08:19:12 PM
"Lance passed the tests he was required to pass and won the titles per the rules."

He passed the test, because science can't detect performance enhancing drugs very well. But he didn't play by the rules. I agree with Chilli I'm afraid.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Owen

Just had a quick read on the wiki about the allegations against him.

Seems to me, from the brief read I had, that he took substances he knew were undetectable at the time, but later on when the same samples were re-tested with new techniques and were found positive, he's unwilling to admit, but won't appeal decisions in an attempt to martyr himself.

Unfortunately, performance enhancing drugs are a huge reality in all sports today, and there's an almost arms race between the people who develop said drugs, and the testing procedures to identify them.

*IF* he had knowingly and willingly taken performance enhancing substances (whether they were detected at the time or not) then yes, he deserves to be stripped of his titles.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Keith

I know all about this shit, I bike, race etc.

So, lets be clear on one thing; It wasn't just Lance, or him and a few select others. It was nearly the entire professional biking community. They didn't hide it from each other, they did it together and encouraged it between each other. It became the only way to compete at that level (at least to them). Regardless of the drug use, he could've kicked me, or anyone I know (or you know)'s ass in biking, and still could. So could all of those other guys even without any drug use. They're still incredible athletes, they all just made poor decisions. As far as stripping him of his wins go, I'm in between. I think on one Tour de France 20/21 podium winners admitted to doping at some point. He still would've been the best (possibly) minus the doping, but there's no real evidence to say so. The whole professional cycling thing was screwed on all levels, even amateur levels, during the years of his dominance. Now it's much cleaner, but obviously the issue isn't completely gone.

I can't say if he deserves it or not. They all deserve it, but only he would be really shat on by it, so it's unfair. But in the same sense, he shouldn't have given in to peer pressure and done it in the first place. It's too complicated to deal with!

##

Bam

every single one of them uses something, human body is not capable of such performance. Lance only got caught because he was using the best doping techniques of that time in the world....i can't believe that there are still so naive people out there who still believe these guys are really that good, if you do believe that - you're either an idiot or haven't got any idea about how a humon body works and/or haven't done any srs sports in your life.

ramim4

Actually i believe he was charged with doping which is not taking illegal substances. What doping is is the increase of red blood cells in your system. Its legal to do it naturally but Armstrong did it illegally. To do it legally athletes go to higher elevations and do their thing the higher elevation lacks oxygen so the body is forced to create more red blood cells to carry more oxygen to the brain. That is natural blood doping totally legal and accepted by all forms of sporting committees. What he did was he would take blood out of his system and his body would create more to replace the lost blood. Before races he would put the blood back into his body which would artificially increase his red blood level which is illegal. That is what he was caught for. Also yes checking for substances is and was terrible but it would have caught it if he was taking anything unless it was designer and he had it made just for him then it would be harder to catch. Plus he not only did all this he bullied people into keeping quiet and paid people off which is worse.