• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

2007 Servers - My Movie

Started by His Lordship, February 21, 2013, 04:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

His Lordship

toned

I can see it not working because there is not a large enough active player base, however id rather see them try, have a fun few months, and fail rather than to not bother just to avoid said failure.

Also i hope they make a separate subscription because im sure people - me included - want to play only old school servers so why should we have to pay the other $5 for a crap game that we hate.

BeeBee

Idk what to think.

I'm going by the thought of:
EoC doesn't make me hard, so may as well try 2007 to give this game one last chance. I hope this inspires the clan world too.
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

Randy

Paraphrasing my Facebook reply: RuneScape quality has increased significantly in the PvM and skilling fields. It's 1000x better than 2007. BUT Jagex doesn't understand PvP because they don't understand the players and clan world. The over-powered weapons, wilderness toggle, and abilities have turned all players away from it, both old and new. PvP was popular due to its simplicity because it allowed for mastery among top clans. Simple, easy, fun. The EoC has killed all chances of an active wilderness returning.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

Agreed Randy. The bit where we disagree on is the solution.
I am of the opinion that it'll be harder to have a good clan world in 2007scape than in current scape.

Randy

Quote from: His Lordship on February 21, 2013, 05:33:43 PM
Agreed Randy. The bit where we disagree on is the solution.
I am of the opinion that it'll be harder to have a good clan world in 2007scape than in current scape.
Harder in what way? The only obstacles are the membership fee and the level reset. Jagex could abolish the fee if the player base is large enough and the levels won't be a huge issue because everyone else will be on the same playing field. Clans will progress side by side, from bronze to rune. Obviously getting the players back will be the struggle here but it's MUCH more likely in 2007 than the EoC (that is why they quit, yeah?).

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

Here are possible reasons why 2007-scape might end up being more difficult to get up and running than 2013:

1. No new content means it has a shelf life of about 2-3 years
2. 2007 PKing was awesome because of numbers... numbers which we won't reach again. We will not be maxing opts in 2007 scape.
3. Most players will not be willing to pay for it... and let's face it, we'll have to pay for it. Most people will choose the account that they've spent years training.
4. I believe many players will HATE the grinding of skills and the lack of content. It'll be charming for a few months, sure, but what happens after then?

Randy

Obviously I have no proof but I really think most people want to play for the PvP... not the skilling.
Updates are the thing that ruined it so that really shouldn't be a problem. The PvP system before the CWA was ideal.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

But my reasons address the PVP too Randy.
Training for the PVP is still grinding... and you'll HAVE to skill to work your way up to rune armour and swordfish and pizzas and good potions.
Without updates, the game will be decent but it will expire.

Randy

Quote from: His Lordship on February 21, 2013, 06:32:44 PM
But my reasons address the PVP too Randy.
Training for the PVP is still grinding... and you'll HAVE to skill to work your way up to rune armour and swordfish and pizzas and good potions.
Without updates, the game will be decent but it will expire.
The norms in 2007 were different. People went to wars with nothing but an invent of lobbies and that was acceptable.
Grinding will be a pain, but as I said, the clan world won't be just about the full rune pkris like we associate it with.
It will progress. The early clan fights will be bronze/iron and slowly advance up the ladder. Maybe that's how tiers will form.
In terms of skilling, the economy will work itself out due to skillers and botters as it did in 2007. I somehow managed it as a noob... didn't you?

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

You could be right, but ask yourself what would happen if you're not.
All the players who had faith in 2007 scape would quit and it would become like RS Classic.
All the clans that are re-opening would close, and probably more clans.
So much hope is going into this that if it fails, it's going to crush everything.

Randy

Quote from: His Lordship on February 21, 2013, 06:41:20 PM
All the players who had faith in 2007 scape would quit and it would become like RS Classic.
So much hope is going into this that if it fails, it's going to crush everything.
I really mean no offense to this but I don't think anyone in WG cares enough about the EoC clan world. We're going down with it.
A new start means a new opportunity. There's going to be a new wilderness forming with old rules - the rules that once made this clan prosper. ARPK-ing might exist again.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Colinwarrior

At this point, all we are doing is speculating (on both sides of the argument) because we don't have a lot to go off of. I think we should be patient, remain optimistic and give it a chance before we start berating each other with opinions.

I watched the video and I do agree with a lot of what was said. I agree that there's more at play here than we're seeing and I know for a fact Jagex is only doing this to make more money because RS is failing. They never listened to the player-base before, why start now? Because they're desperate.

But my question is: does it matter? Do the ends justify the means in this instance? I don't know. Maybe.

Like Gene said, this could very well be the end of RS altogether, but let's face it. RS is dying. Most people have already given up on it. Either this will revitalize RS in general (if only for a few years at the most) or RS will continue it's downward spiral.

I guess my point is...let's calm down and remain optimistic. We don't know how this will turn out yet. Let's not allow this to divide our friendships.

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

His Lordship

Quote from: Randy on February 21, 2013, 06:46:24 PM
I really mean no offense to this but I don't think anyone in WG cares enough about the EoC clan world. We're going down with it.
A new start means a new opportunity. There's going to be a new wilderness forming with old rules - the rules that once made this clan prosper. ARPK-ing might exist again.

But now we go back to my original reasons I posted...
Not all of WG is going to pay.
Not all of WG wants to train all over.
Not all of WG will enjoy the old PVP if there are no numbers.
Not all of WG wants to play a game that doesn't change with their tastes.

No offense was taken Randy, at least we're both being somewhat mature about this unlike those RSC turds.
There's no "nice" way out of our predicament.
You've put your hopes in 2007 scape, I've put my hopes in 2013 scape.
Both are valid, but nothing you've said yet (hoping to keep an open mind and not let pride get in the way) has changed my mind that your option is riskier.

Randy

True. Lets see how it goes then.

P.S. DI is returning.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

Colin, we have to decide now because the time to vote is now :/
If we didn't have to vote now, I'd try it before deciding :P

Colinwarrior

Quote from: His Lordship on February 21, 2013, 07:02:01 PM
Colin, we have to decide now because the time to vote is now :/
If we didn't have to vote now, I'd try it before deciding :P

The servers are already coming back, though...

It's too late for them not to.

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

His Lordship

Yes but my vote still decides how much effort people put into it.

Asaad

RSC are some nasty trolls.

I am very optimistic about 2007.
-2013 is dead. New recruits will join EOC maybe, most veterans will somehow come back to the site and decide 2007 over 2013
-EoC stays. The new gameplay is annoying in my opinion. The damage I do to an opponent is unclear, I don't know what is going on as I fight.
-2007 has been on minds of players for years. I remember wishing to go back as early as late '09 (it was good then I know).
-ALL CHANGES MADE BY THE COMMUNITY. This gives me assurance, rather knowing that Jagex has a somewhat lesser chance of screwing up the game.
-2013 has had a steady decline for years (declining the most in the last two). 2007 will spark interest of a ton of players.

Growth comes from 2007 only.

Quote from: His Lordship on February 21, 2013, 06:51:26 PM
Quote from: Randy on February 21, 2013, 06:46:24 PM

But now we go back to my original reasons I posted...
Not all of WG is going to pay.
Not all of WG wants to train all over.
Not all of WG will enjoy the old PVP if there are no numbers.
Not all of WG wants to play a game that doesn't change with their tastes.

No offense was taken Randy, at least we're both being somewhat mature about this unlike those RSC turds.
There's no "nice" way out of our predicament.
You've put your hopes in 2007 scape, I've put my hopes in 2013 scape.
Both are valid, but nothing you've said yet (hoping to keep an open mind and not let pride get in the way) has changed my mind that your option is riskier.

I'm noting everything you guys said. The opposing views take into consideration the current pvp community and its tendecy to split up. Well, I think like this. 2007 goes up, while 2013 goes down. More support for 07 should mean a transition for clans.

[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Rick

A few days ago I had an unusual urge to put Call of Duty 4 in my 360 disc tray. I popped out of the room for a bit and returned to see the credits had rolled and the trailer running. It really hit me at that point how the game series has depreciated over the past 5 years. The campaign exerted with passion, an uncharacteristic cynical story which was genuinely absorbing, it was faultless. While the multiplayer accompanied it with a balanced and compelling challenge with variety.

Had CoD 4 been released next fall, I suspect it would still be very well received and held in higher regard than the subsequent 4 games which have followed it.

Runescape can relate (the two games actually correlate between the relevant releases) we have seen a well respected browser based MMORG become heavily criticised by both the current and previous fan base. It is easy to conceive the idea of nostalgia and that we will only think RS 2007 will be better. But maybe it actually was?

The Clan World can thrive with Steel Armour and 300 Level 50 opts facing of for victory; in the Wilderness which will prosper regardless. In October 2007 I achieved 99 Agility, will I do it again? Absolutely not, can I still enjoy RS 2007? It would be wrong to judge before logging into it again, but I am excited for it and I suspect I will find a brighter, productive and more enjoyable use of time on it than I currently do on RS 2013.

Caught some of your video while at work, will watch it fully through a bit later. But this is my current opinion.

Jesse

Nice video Lordy! I think you spoke very eloquently upon the matter. I admire that you put your opinion out there even though there is a lot of controversy on the topic, and even more people opposing you.

Shinhwa

Such a good looking man.....

ANYWAYS

There's no right or wrong Jagex just seems like they're trying to please their customers. I personally think that it's just a way to make money just like any corporation out there. Like you said  maybe some retired players will come back but in the end players will get bored and then Jagex will have to try something else to make us, the players happy. I honestly would love to go back to the 07' servers just because that was my peak Scapin' period BUT I'd have to start over. Why would I waste the time to get 99's again when I have a decent account now and where I can play on servers with better bosses with better drops. I could care less whither 07' comes back or not but I see why there's controversy over it but I really think there shouldn't be. I'll be honest so I didn't read the full Jagex post about the 07' servers but I'm assuming that the HD quality wouldn't apply to the 07' servers? I thought they were just recovering it. Don't know if any modifications would apply to it though. I like playing n HD now. I definitely would hate to go back to the bad pixelated days.

Elyxiatic

Nice effort you're putting in here Gene, though it won't sway common opinion.
You can't really change 250k people's minds with 1 youtube video can you?

Lets just sit back and revel in the fact in 6 months time we can say 'I told you so'.

Al

My opinion:

I'm not completely against it, because it can't hurt. It's worth the investment. Jagex profits. Oldscapers get their game back. And those who think EoC is for the better will continue playing on their side. Besides, I think most if not everyone who wanted Oldscape back quit and aren't playing EoC; We won't notice a different in change in the current game. Like Damage Incorporated.

If Jagex wants to open this up for those server and oldscape fans and let them have their fun, so be it. It'll be like the RS Classic servers. I can go back and forth and debate on the tons of pros and cons, but one thing sums it up for me:

Anything that doesn't evolve and adapt is going to die out. Jagex won't be releasing any updates for the game. Theoretically, people who play 2007 will eventually get tired of the game because it's a static game.

In reality, I'm not worried about 2007scape becoming more popular, because it's only good for one thing - PKing. I want to enjoy other things and new content. That was then, and this is now. I'm done with 2007 content. I'm fine sitting out with in CWA, PK what's left in the wilderness, white portal, etc., and wait until Jagex revitalizes the wilderness. They've addressed it, they've specifically responded to us, and willing we'll "open our communication channels" with them and tell them how we want it. If they listened to bringing back the old game they should listen to the loyal, paying, and knowledgeable PKing community to change the new game for the future.

This is a positive thing. It's a win-win for all parties. Hypothetically, if this game becomes more successful than current scape (and we'll say by player count for sake), then that means Jagex really f**ked up. Jagex could only do one thing - fix the current game to make it successful like 2007.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS