• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Boston Explosion

Started by BeeBee, April 15, 2013, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

His Lordship

Let's not turn this into an America bash. Any amount of grief is valid, and all of us know already that the world media is biased to unusual American tragedies.
I agree that the balance is out of order, but if people are feeling pain over this, now is not the time for that debate Stormrage.
Nobody here can agree with you more, but we can have this discussion later.

Rachellove9

Most people won't realize how far this one event will affect millions of people over the years.
It's not a one day, one moment type of event.
The governments in the city, state and country will somehow change security and laws that will leave lasting effects on our whole country.

Then least we forget the ones that were killed or injured.
They will be dealing with this for their entire lives as will their family and friends.

I go to this type of event in Pittsburgh and I've participated in the past.
It will make the average not so great supporter of these events less likely to go.
It effects the sport.

I'm not any less sad when I see other people killed.
To me it is very sad that our news doesn't report the other countries tragedies in a way we can feel your pain.
Some times we get a quick one line across the bottom of the news screen and I have to go look it up on the net to read more.
With the general size of our country being so large in mass, it isn't surprising that we have high media coverage for our tragic events.
All the states have to know what is going on even in the most remote places.

I was at a local high school running event when I heard this.
It was so hard hitting that they bomb at a sporting event like this.
I also have people I know running in Boston.
I haven't heard any news of their safety.

Keith

Quote from: Randy on April 16, 2013, 05:15:22 AM
Quote from: Josheh on April 16, 2013, 05:06:11 AM
Quote from: Randy on April 16, 2013, 04:56:27 AM
Quote from: zi11ar on April 16, 2013, 04:19:19 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/535916_414522568646372_1231222866_n.jpg

duno how to post images but yeah, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and those affected and it is a tragedy. im just wondering what obama will do next, bomb control? or ban public assemblies.. i wouldnt be suprised if they had something to do with it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/66809_414545138644115_1537759939_n.jpg
Lol, what? There is no logic in the picture at all.

There isn't much logic in a lot of things surrounding this.
Well yeah, there's basically no proof of anything yet.
Kind of silly to jump the gun blame the government in less than a day don't ya think?

Yeah seriously, how dare you trample on the people who's lies have been lost with a conspiracy theory. That second picture was snipers they put on the roof afterwards, you think they were up there waiting for it to go off or something? This is serious and I'm not going to stand for any belittling of the situation. Try me.

Elyxiatic

Quote from: His Lordship on April 16, 2013, 12:39:46 AM
No doubt it's highly unusual. We're on the same page.
That's definitely why it's making world headlines rather than a mass shooting that happens every so often.
Question: Is it a good idea to prioritise our attention, allocating it to the most unusual attacks?
Two people died and it's making world headlines.
There is no hate in me, but I feel so bad for the (on average) 85 Americans who will be killed by a gun TODAY, silently.
I am asking for a lot: a change in priorities. I'll say no more because death is death and this is still a tragedy.

I'm quite disgusted by the attitude you've taken on this thread.
America is a first world country, where you would (normally) expect to be safe at a public event. You cannot say the same for a lot of third world countries.

The issue here isn't the deaths. It's how somebody deliberately blew up a bomb to inflict harm and damage to people. Only 3 may have died, but there were a lot injured.

QuoteQuestion: Is it a good idea to prioritise our attention, allocating it to the most unusual attacks?

Yes, yes it is. Unusual means not expected. Meaning it takes people by surprise.

On the topic of Australian asylum seekers, that did make our headlines over here. Front page.

To be fair Gene, I don't think you should have posted on this thread.

His Lordship

Pretending to be someone I'm not is worse than me trying to express my opinion in the politest possible way, which I did.
I'm *gently* encouraging people to shift their values because I am strongly against tunnel-vision sympathy.
There is so much out there worthy of your sentiments, but it's getting ignored.
I never once said it was bad to give sympathy to this, but I DID say there are other things too.
Of course the refugees made the front page in Australia lol. They didn't in London, take my word for it.
Just because someone was creative in the way they murder doesn't make the deaths more significant than the kid who gets shot in school.
The only reason people like to hear about unusual attacks is because it feels more relevant to them.
"Oh no, even a marathon is unsafe". Plenty of public places in the USA get mass attacked... such as schools.
The proportions are out of whack. Sympathy for these people is great, but God I wish people would get some perspective.
This isn't the huge tragedy the media is making it out to be. THAT SAID, sympathy for this cause is better than none at all.

While you guys mourn these three deaths, I will be thinking about the other 100 or so Americans who will be murdered today.
How dare you attack my attitude, when I was IN FACT trying to quell protesting in this topic. (Eg. First post this page)

Fuls

What gene is saying is right, This shit even tho it is disgusting, take one look at the shit that goes on in Africa, slaughtering hundreds of thousands, Over in Syria millions being slaughtered and killed, North Korea their camps are just as fucked up as Hitler.
While this terrorist attack is a terrible tragedy and should never have happened It also shows the bias media effect that goes on, that "we only care about what happens in our western world" Doubt most of you know how serious the drug cartel is over there, thousands of people murdered every day by these people that are just out there to better themselves, these people are terrorists as well and very very little light is shone their way.
The media is fucked and controlled they only air and re-air and re-air again shit that "they think" people will give two shits about, where these 3 people here vs the 10's of thousands of people that are murdered every day through other terrorist means its fucked.

QuoteI'm quite disgusted by the attitude you've taken on this thread.
America is a first world country, where you would (normally) expect to be safe at a public event. You cannot say the same for a lot of third world countries.

You contradict yourself with that post, where thousands of people in america are shot dead over drugs every day with no "Massive media attention" and that is in the heart of a "1'st world" country. You have no right to be disgusted at anyone maybe you should rethink what you say before you say it.

People just need to open their minds up a shitload more to shit that goes on and think hey can I make a difference or am I just going to sit here and go on with my normal life and look at a media story go, oh that's terrible, then move on with your life a few days later forgetting about what happened.

Ts Stormrage

Since when did the US become a 1st world country?
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

Randy

Quote from: Ts Stormrage on April 16, 2013, 03:47:27 PM
Since when did the Netherlands become relevant to anything, ever?

Instead of posting prayers and condolences it turned into a typical WG topic.
Mind you it wasn't even posted by an American, Lordy + the usual 9/11 crew spew the same thing every year.
Find me one post where an American belittled any other tragedy around the world. So why even bring it up?
Can't we just acknowledge this event and give our condolences and move on?
The only reason any of you are posting this is because it's over the internet, none of you would in a real conversation because it's a RUDE thing to do.

In trying to point out ignorance you're appearing ignorant yourselves.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

OK fine, I guess I was belittling the event, but I did it in comparison to another American tragedy, so don't call me anti-American please.

Buns

holy shit i shouldve never clicked on that pic. disgusting....

Colinwarrior

Quote from: Ts Stormrage on April 16, 2013, 03:47:27 PM

Holy fucking shit. Do you want to compare what the United States and the Netherlands have done for the world economically, culturally, or by any other standard? Just get the fuck out.

This thread has gone south fast. It went from a current events thread mourning an unexpected and unusual tragedy to a diatribe of America-bashing, unwarranted and opinionated banter, and general shit-posting.

Just lock this thread already...

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Owen

And this is why I don't post on these threads!

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Rachellove9

We do have rules about not attacking each other over country.
I'm very disappointed to say the least.
Thanks to those who posted in a caring way.
This post is being locked.