• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Education on Transsexualism. :)

Started by 52 Pray, February 27, 2012, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52 Pray

Hello there WG/DG members.
Since I have been getting quite a few questions relating to being a transsexual.
I decided I would make a thread to educate the clan on it. :)
Here are some videos:
What is Transsexualism? Facts About Being a Transsexual
Fear and Being a Transsexual

Definitions:
Transsexualism: an individual's identification with a gender inconsistent or not culturally associated with his or her assigned sex. Simply put, it defines a person whose assigned sex at birth conflicts with his or her psychological gender. A medical diagnosis can be made if a person experiences discomfort as a result of a desire to be a member of the opposite sex,[3] or if a person experiences impaired functioning or distress as a result of that gender identification.[4] Transsexualism is stigmatized in many parts of the world but has become more widely known in Western culture in the mid to late 20th century, concurrently with the sexual revolution and the development of sex reassignment surgery (SRS). Discrimination or negative attitudes towards transsexualism often accompany certain religious beliefs or cultural values. There are cultures that have no difficulty integrating people who change gender roles, often holding them with high regard, such as the traditional role for 'two-spirit' people found among certain native American tribes
Transgendered Vs Transsexual Vs Intersex: People who identify as transgender or transsexual are usually people who are born with typical male or female anatomies but feel as though they've been born into the "wrong body." For example, a person who identifies as transgender or transsexual may have typical female anatomy but feel like a male and seek to become male by taking hormones or electing to have sex reassignment surgeries.

People who have intersex conditions have anatomy that is not considered typically male or female. Most people with intersex conditions come to medical attention because doctors or parents notice something unusual about their bodies. In contrast, people who are transgendered have an internal experience of gender identity that is different from most people.

Many people confuse transgender and transsexual people with people with intersex conditions because they see two groups of people who would like to choose their own gender identity and sometimes those choices require hormonal treatments and/or surgery. These are similarities. It's also true, albeit rare, that some people who have intersex conditions also decide to change genders at some point in their life, so some people with intersex conditions might also identify themselves as transgender or transsexual.

In spite of these similarities, these two groups should not be and cannot be thought of as one. The truth is that the vast majority of people with intersex conditions identify as male or female rather than transgender or transsexual. Thus, where all people who identify as transgender or transsexual experience problems with their gender identity, only a small portion of intersex people experience these problems.

It's also important to understand the differences between these two groups because in spite of some similarities they face many different struggles, including different forms of discrimination. The differences between transgender and transsexual and intersex have been understood by lawmakers in countries such as Australia where lawmakers have publicly acknowledged that people with intersex conditions have distinct needs from people who identify as transgender or transsexual.

People who identify as transgender or transsexual also face discrimination and deserve equality. We also believe that people with intersex conditions and folks who identify as transgender or transsexual can and should continue to work together on human rights issues; however, there are important differences to keep in mind so that both groups can work toward a better future.

Also,
being a transsexual has nothing to do with my sexuality. I have good friends who are transsexuals and they are completely "straight." They like girls but they feel as though they should be a girl, rather than a boy; or vice versa.

Just thought this might clear up some questions you all might have towards me. :)
- The OG t-girl peekayer

Randy

No questions here, just always be yourself.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Wayshow

I've never actually met a transsexual, and I am honoured.

Taibz

May I ask what way you're transsexual? Are you in a male body, but wants to be a girl or vice verse? No need to answer if you feel it's too personal :)

Pretty awsome how open you are with this. Stay strong! :D
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

52 Pray

I want to be a girl. =3
and awhhh wayshow. :p
- The OG t-girl peekayer

Owen

Anyone who judges anyone based on gender, race or sexuality does not deserve the right to breathe my air.

Live your life how you want to live it, not how a few loudmouthed bigots feel you should live.

I'm glad you're proud of who you are :)

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Asaad

Keep on going educating people, slowly we could end discrimination on earth.
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Bam

ok, i didn't read all of that^^ but still

1) ist that you in that vid?
2) ist that you in your avatar?
3)not sure if you like girls/boys....and you wanting to be a girl i presume you like boys, so when you hit on a dude (or a girl), when do you tell him/her about this whole thing? or do you date people who're into transexuals only?

you don't have to answer any of these if they're too personal.

Brent147

I don't know if I mentioned this to you already or not, but when I was growing up, I lived with my aunt Kelly and her girlfriend Jen. They were a couple and at first it was hard for me to comprehend that concept, but over time I came around to it. Soon after, I discovered that my aunt Kelly was going through a period in which she wanted to be a man. She attempted to go through all of the motions and asked to participate in many of the things that I participated in, such as video games, movies, my eating habits, what books I liked to read, etc... She thought that it was vital to her being able to understand how to be a man. I will admit, just as the concept of lesbians confused me, this confounded me as well. I did however come around to it, and finally just accepted her for who she was. I decided that regardless of whether she was a man or a woman, gay or straight, I still loved her, and nothing would change that. So I became supportive and open to basically any kind of lifestyle. She did change her mind before going through with the surgery, and she is happy being just who she is, but it's not always the case for everyone.

I know how hard it can be for someone in your position to take all of the rude looks and snide comments, but I have to tell you that I am very impressed wit your ability to be open, and give educated explanations to people. I believe that it will only make you stronger. I'm very happy to see how honest you've been from the start because as I said before, we need those sort of people in this community. People with pride, integrity, strength, and honesty. You fit the bill, regardless of your gender or sexuality. So, you have my support and I hope that you find this clan to be a good fit for you.  ^.^

Regards,
:Brent147
Proud to have served as the leader of the Wilderness Guardians.

Alliteration

Quote from: Owen on February 27, 2012, 11:52:32 PM
Anyone who judges anyone based on gender, race or sexuality does not deserve the right to breathe my air.

Live your life how you want to live it, not how a few loudmouthed bigots feel you should live.

YEAH! I AGREE! TOUCHDOWN! DOWN WITH BIGOTS!

*please note* This statement obviously does not apply to me. I reserve the right to judge others for judging people based on ideas, sexuality, race, or creed. Nevermind the fact that I'm basically doing that which I claim to look down upon, since the idea of bigotry is one that is "safe" to dislike, no one will point out my glaring lapses in logic.

Quote from: 52 Pray on February 27, 2012, 10:36:21 AM
Since I have been getting quite a few questions relating to being a transsexual.
Here are some videos:

Definitions:
Transsexualism: an individual's identification with a gender inconsistent or not culturally associated with his or her assigned sex. Simply put, it defines a person whose assigned sex at birth conflicts with his or her psychological gender. A medical diagnosis can be made if a person experiences discomfort as a result of a desire to be a member of the opposite sex,[3] or if a person experiences impaired functioning or distress as a result of that gender identification.[4] Transsexualism is stigmatized in many parts of the world but has become more widely known in Western culture in the mid to late 20th century, concurrently with the sexual revolution and the development of sex reassignment surgery (SRS). Discrimination or negative attitudes towards transsexualism often accompany certain religious beliefs or cultural values. There are cultures that have no difficulty integrating people who change gender roles, often holding them with high regard, such as the traditional role for 'two-spirit' people found among certain native American tribes
Transgendered Vs Transsexual Vs Intersex: People who identify as transgender or transsexual are usually people who are born with typical male or female anatomies but feel as though they've been born into the "wrong body." For example, a person who identifies as transgender or transsexual may have typical female anatomy but feel like a male and seek to become male by taking hormones or electing to have sex reassignment surgeries.

People who have intersex conditions have anatomy that is not considered typically male or female. Most people with intersex conditions come to medical attention because doctors or parents notice something unusual about their bodies. In contrast, people who are transgendered have an internal experience of gender identity that is different from most people.

Many people confuse transgender and transsexual people with people with intersex conditions because they see two groups of people who would like to choose their own gender identity and sometimes those choices require hormonal treatments and/or surgery. These are similarities. It's also true, albeit rare, that some people who have intersex conditions also decide to change genders at some point in their life, so some people with intersex conditions might also identify themselves as transgender or transsexual.

In spite of these similarities, these two groups should not be and cannot be thought of as one. The truth is that the vast majority of people with intersex conditions identify as male or female rather than transgender or transsexual. Thus, where all people who identify as transgender or transsexual experience problems with their gender identity, only a small portion of intersex people experience these problems.

It's also important to understand the differences between these two groups because in spite of some similarities they face many different struggles, including different forms of discrimination. The differences between transgender and transsexual and intersex have been understood by lawmakers in countries such as Australia where lawmakers have publicly acknowledged that people with intersex conditions have distinct needs from people who identify as transgender or transsexual.

People who identify as transgender or transsexual also face discrimination and deserve equality. We also believe that people with intersex conditions and folks who identify as transgender or transsexual can and should continue to work together on human rights issues; however, there are important differences to keep in mind so that both groups can work toward a better future.

Also,
being a transsexual has nothing to do with my sexuality. I have good friends who are transsexuals and they are completely "straight." They like girls but they feel as though they should be a girl, rather than a boy; or vice versa.

Just thought this might clear up some questions you all might have towards me. :)
You could have saved like five minutes of my life if you'd pull a page from Cartman and went, "Screw you guys, I'll do what I want!" Which is basically the entire post in a nutshell.

Interesting sidenote: I am a cyborg fireman schoolgirl with questionably loose morals and an even less stringent slippery slopes of sexy sex decadence in concerns to teaching facility. Pleased to meet you.
They see me trollin'
They hatin'
I'm trolling
mods tryin' to catch me postin' dirty
Tryin to catch me postin' dirty
My lazors so loud
I'm spammin'
They hopin' that they gon' catch me postin' dirty

52 Pray

Quote from: Alliteration on February 28, 2012, 07:16:24 PM

*please note* This statement obviously does not apply to me. I reserve the right to judge others for judging people based on ideas, sexuality, race, or creed. Nevermind the fact that I'm basically doing that which I claim to look down upon, since the idea of bigotry is one that is "safe" to dislike, no one will point out my glaring lapses in logic.

Quote from: 52 Pray on February 27, 2012, 10:36:21 AM
Here are some videos:

Definitions:

Also,

You could have saved like five minutes of my life if you'd pull a page from Cartman and went, "Screw you guys, I'll do what I want!" Which is basically the entire post in a nutshell.

Interesting sidenote: I am a cyborg fireman schoolgirl with questionably loose morals and an even less stringent slippery slopes of sexy sex decadence in concerns to teaching facility. Pleased to meet you.

Thank you guys for the support,
and the compliments!
:)

Quote from: Bam on February 28, 2012, 04:37:51 PM
ok, i didn't read all of that^^ but still

1) ist that you in that vid?
2) ist that you in your avatar?
3)not sure if you like girls/boys....and you wanting to be a girl i presume you like boys, so when you hit on a dude (or a girl), when do you tell him/her about this whole thing? or do you date people who're into transexuals only?

you don't have to answer any of these if they're too personal.

1) No that isn't me.
2) That is my girlfriend. :)
3) I like boys and girls. If I decided to get the transition, I should be able to successfully pass off as a woman. Depending on how far the relationship goes they should never know unless I told them. :3
- The OG t-girl peekayer

Rachellove9

Okay so let me understand this more.

Your gf is going to love you either way.
Your change will take a lot of time.
I'm not sure that not telling a man or woman your very serious with is fair.
I think it is great that your open to discuss things.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Peace
Rachy

Colinwarrior

I am friends with at least one (that I know of) transsexual person. Just another friend. People are what they are. If somebody is going to hate them for their lifestyle choice, then they are truly what is wrong with this world.

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt

Gimingo

It is not unfair to judge a person on their values and actions, since those define a person and are based on their choices.

It is most definitely an incorrect and judgmental thing to judge a person on race, gender,  sexuality, etc, something that isn't exactly a choice.

@52 Pray: The fact that you're coming out and saying something like this inspires me, thank you  <3

Alliteration

Quote from: Gimingo on February 29, 2012, 04:19:05 AM

It is not unfair to judge a person on their values and actions, since those define a person and are based on their choices.

It is most definitely an incorrect and judgmental thing to judge a person on race, gender,  sexuality, etc, something that isn't exactly a choice.

But then you enter the moral shaky ground of choice. For example, if I lived in the Bible belt and I have been raised with the rhetoric that homosexuality is wrong, is it wrong for me to adopt the general mindset of the area around me? One could make a case for learning to make your own decisions, a question of nature vs environment, but the option is still there of choice for a vast majority of situations.

For example, though I am hungry, I am not forced to act upon my natural need of that, if I didn't want to. I could starve myself. In fact, I'd say the biggest part of humanity is our ability to resist the natural urges of our body. So, if homosexuality or various other pathological pitfalls (such as feeling you are born in wrong body) is an urge that we can ignore, then you are making the choice to embrace that aspect of your person.

There is nothing wrong with that, but judging the whole worth of another person based on one aspect of their beliefs is just the same folly as that one claims they are against. Maybe he just isn't comfortable with (insert thing here) but is a great father, contributing law-abiding member of society that saves orphanages from burning children on his weekends. Saying that he "doesn't deserve to breath my air" is a bit much, is all I'm saying.

Understanding breeds empathy, on both sides of the street. It's easy to embrace the side of one that people believe is correct, but it is far harder to do the same to someone who takes what is now an unpopular stance.

I like mudkipz.
They see me trollin'
They hatin'
I'm trolling
mods tryin' to catch me postin' dirty
My lazors so loud
I'm spammin'
They hopin' that they gon' catch me postin' dirty

Vio

After watching/reading that, I want to be a transsexual now  :/

Gimingo

Quote from: Gimingo on February 29, 2012, 04:19:05 AM

But then you enter the moral shaky ground of choice. For example, if I lived in the Bible belt and I have been raised with the rhetoric that homosexuality is wrong, is it wrong for me to adopt the general mindset of the area around me? One could make a case for learning to make your own decisions, a question of nature vs environment, but the option is still there of choice for a vast majority of situations.

For example, though I am hungry, I am not forced to act upon my natural need of that, if I didn't want to. I could starve myself. In fact, I'd say the biggest part of humanity is our ability to resist the natural urges of our body. So, if homosexuality or various other pathological pitfalls (such as feeling you are born in wrong body) is an urge that we can ignore, then you are making the choice to embrace that aspect of your person.

There is nothing wrong with that, but judging the whole worth of another person based on one aspect of their beliefs is just the same folly as that one claims they are against. Maybe he just isn't comfortable with (insert thing here) but is a great father, contributing law-abiding member of society that saves orphanages from burning children on his weekends. Saying that he "doesn't deserve to breath my air" is a bit much, is all I'm saying.

Understanding breeds empathy, on both sides of the street. It's easy to embrace the side of one that people believe is correct, but it is far harder to do the same to someone who takes what is now an unpopular stance.

I like mudkipz.

@Alliteration:
1st paragraph: That's a really cool point, I always wondered whether a person should be judged partially on how they were raised. I suppose I wouldn't respect the person you described if he/she didn't have solid reasons for his/her belief or acted out of his or her beliefs.

2nd paragraph: I think the mistake in this argument comes when you make the assumption that homosexuality and transsexual feelings are pitfalls. If they were pitfalls then I'd agree with you, but since they are just like being straight in the case of being an innate part of who a person is, it's not a choice. Humanity only goes so far. We have the ability to not get angry or not eat food, but we don't have the ability to control the chemicals/hormones of our own bodies. Just look at the cases of homosexual people that really tried to be straight but just couldn't.

It would be like coming on a rocket to a totally homosexual planet and getting stuck there. You could pretend to be homosexual, try to be, and immerse yourself in that culture, but at the end of the day if you're straight you're straight.

3rd paragraph: I agree with you that it's a bit too much. I think that's just a knee-jerk reaction that people might have when they hear about injustice. No one wants to judge a person holistically at that moment, they want to beat the shit out of him/her :) But I'm sure you agree that there are certain things about a person you can't smooth over/overlook when it comes to character. He may save kids, but if he only saves the straight ones I'm not sure I can call him a good man.

I respect you for taking an unpopular stance, but in my humble opinion this unpopular stance is unpopular because it's fundamentally wrong  ^.^

Rob

Respect to you for standing up to what you believe in.

52 Pray

Quote from: Rachellove9 on February 29, 2012, 12:38:36 AM
Okay so let me understand this more.

Your gf is going to love you either way.
Your change will take a lot of time.
I'm not sure that not telling a man or woman your very serious with is fair.
I think it is great that your open to discuss things.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Peace
Rachy

YES. <3
Rachypooooo. Hehe.
Quote from: DG Keanu on February 29, 2012, 01:25:35 PM

No you don't. lol.
I go through a lot of depression issues because of it.

Quote from: Rob on March 01, 2012, 02:13:44 PM
Respect to you for standing up to what you believe in.

<3
- The OG t-girl peekayer

Vio

Quote from: 52 Pray on March 02, 2012, 08:01:22 AM

No you don't. lol.

I'm immune to depression so it's fine  :D

52 Pray

Quote from: DG Keanu on March 02, 2012, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: 52 Pray on March 02, 2012, 08:01:22 AM

No you don't. lol.

I'm immune to depression so it's fine  :D

haha. if you say so . ;)
- The OG t-girl peekayer

Warcow1992

:nyan:

So the clan is cool TG people?

I'm MTF TG,  ;)

But im also a cow furry,
so i find it easier to express my selff as non-human

That way i avoid facing my real issues  :P

:nyan:
Moo!~