• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Forum Usage Tips - Improve your experience with our boards!

Started by Mojo, June 09, 2015, 01:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Forum Usage Tips

Hello guys, I thought I'd make a list of basic tips you can use on these boards to make things a little bit easier to use.

• Enable quick reply - click here and change the second last option to "show, on by default".
  • Return to topics - while you're on the above page tick the "Return to topics after posting by default" box.
  • Unread posts - use the small unread button at the top left to find new posts. First time users will find hundreds of posts so just select "Mark all messages as read" then start using it the next day.
  • Collapse Menus - I find it easier to navigate my profile by collapsing the menus. Click here to do that.
  • Drafts - if you accidentally close a post before submitting simply check your drafts on your profile to recover it.

And for those newer to using forums, here's a few tips:

How do I post an image?
First you need to upload your image somewhere, I'd suggest imgur.
Once uploaded, copy the image URL. It must end in .png .jpg or .gif .
Then add [img] [/img] tags around the URL.
For example: [img]http://i.imgur.com/c1kNGaO.gif[/img] will display the image inside the tags like so:

How do I post an image? - Gyazo alternative
While the above method is useful I prefer this method as it is usually faster.
Gyazo is an easy way to capture screenshots. With one click you can take the screenshot and instantly upload it to the internet.
It will also copy it to your clipboard so you simply paste the link onto our forums and add ".png" to the end of the link.
You then add the [img] [/img] tags around the URL as above.

How do I get a signature?
Use the above tips to upload some images then head to your forum profile and add your images using into the Signature area using the  [img] [/img] tags.

What about an avatar?
First find a fairly small image and upload it to imgur.
Now simply copy the direct link and head to your forum profile again and specify your avatar by URL. No tags this time!

How do I post a YouTube video?
Simply paste the link and it will embed it for you!

I hope this helped everyone to use our forums easier and hopefully those of you newer to forums will feel more at home.
If you need any forum help feel free to post below and ask :D
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Fatboy Rules

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Devin

Very helpful! Didn't know about the quick reply until just now l0l
Joined as Initatiate Guardian on December 29, 2014
Graduated to Guardian on January 10, 2015
Member of the Month January 2015
Promoted to Event Master on March 8, 2015

Promoted to Application Manager on May 9, 2015

Hall of fame:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

Quote from: Devin on June 09, 2015, 05:47:55 AM
Very helpful! Didn't know about the quick reply until just now l0l
ye I can tell people had no clue that's why I posted this :D
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Al

Lol @ Devin.

How to never miss a post:

One thing I would add...you can leave it out, it's your guide. I've been using the "Recent Posts" button for as long as I can remember. It shows every single post that is posted on the entire forums. It's the bookmark (like a button for an application) I have on my iPhone home screen. When I'm on the computer I type 'rec' which is part of the link near the end for Recent Posts. Compared to the unread posts button, it puts absolutely everything in view no matter what, so you don't miss any posts and reread them as you go back. I always know how far I back the most recent post I haven't read is because I always remember where I left off--it goes back 10 pages, 10 posts are shown on each.

I've never missed a post for years...I read everything, I'm not sure if people know this/know about this. It's probably why I have one of the top overall post counts. I once mentioned it to Bassism (Owen, older council & advisor member) and he didn't know about it either. I don't use the unread posts button for some reason--maybe cause I'm OCD on these forums--I feel like you can glance over "unread" posts that you don't read but should or could.

edit: Also, you should definitely put in How to Retrive Posts; when you accidentally reload your browser when writing a long post. For those that don't know, we have an autosave feature. It doesn't work 100% of the time; not sure how exactly the mechanic works, but it autosaves after a good amount of seconds. Usually you're covered if you spend some good time on a post.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Mojo

New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

New WG Forums

[spoiler]