• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

US Elections 2016

Started by Mojo, July 26, 2016, 08:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vio

Wayshow

See, I'm used to racial slurs already. What I'm not used to is people threatening to use violence on me for no reason. I'm not used to the mass legitimization of hatred and bigotry. It's not my responsibility to heal that. It's the responsibility of the person who empowered them, and if he doesn't, you think it's smart for me to go hug he person who holds a fist to my face?

His Lordship

Quote from: Wayshow on November 11, 2016, 05:36:29 PM
You think it's smart for me to go hug he person who holds a fist to my face?
I do, I really, really do. You can't fight hate with hate. I've tried it, and it just creates more violence.
You are a victim, but you don't have to be helpless. They have responsibility to change, but I think you have an obligation to make that change easier.
I know it's the harder option, forgiving. It's damn hard. But it's the one true way to set things straight.

His Lordship

And while this may sound stupid, my time in WG has also shown me a lot about hate.
Sure it's just the internet, or so you say, but the way I create more haters is to start getting defensive and playing victim, then telling them how wrong they are.
If I want to change someone's mind for the better, I lower their defenses by listening, understanding their point of view, and letting them know that I'm not waiting to jump down their throat with my own opinion.
I didn't do that very well here with you, I have to admit.

Mochacho456

Quote from: Randy on November 10, 2016, 03:17:45 AM
The angry, afraid, isolated, uneducated, bible-thumping white males rallied in full force as backlash against 8 years with a successful black and progressive president. This is not an opinion- it is a statistical truth. The baby boomer's final "fuck you" to Washington on their way out of this disgusting chapter of our history books. Trump offered a simpleton solution of "I will fix it" and they ate that shit up without a single moment of critical thinking. They won the battle but they're going to lose the war on progress (if climate change doesn't wipe us out by then, thanks Trump & anti-science morons). Just look at the 18-25 year old vote (the future of America):

Anyways, this sucks and I really feel for the minorities in particular. I hope Trump actually attempts to unify the country and stops his absolutely atrocious behavior and comments otherwise there's no way he makes it 4 years down this road.

I hope your Johnson protest votes are working out for you guys.

sorry - the second you start name calling, you essentially lose credibility. I'm a Canadian conservative, and i know exactly why he won, and Michael Moore got it 100% right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDRqeuLNag

Take a listen.

Randy

Quote from: Mochacho456 on November 13, 2016, 05:33:23 PM
The angry, afraid, isolated, uneducated, bible-thumping white males rallied in full force as backlash against 8 years with a successful black and progressive president. This is not an opinion- it is a statistical truth. The baby boomer's final "fuck you" to Washington on their way out of this disgusting chapter of our history books. Trump offered a simpleton solution of "I will fix it" and they ate that shit up without a single moment of critical thinking. They won the battle but they're going to lose the war on progress (if climate change doesn't wipe us out by then, thanks Trump & anti-science morons). Just look at the 18-25 year old vote (the future of America):

Anyways, this sucks and I really feel for the minorities in particular. I hope Trump actually attempts to unify the country and stops his absolutely atrocious behavior and comments otherwise there's no way he makes it 4 years down this road.

sorry - the second you start name calling, you essentially lose credibility

Does that same logic apply to Donald Trump who has name called and insulted virtually every minority group and countless individuals? What about his legion of supporters that have been calling Obama a Kenyan muslim terrorist for 8 years? It is such a clusterfuck of hypocrisy for the conservatives of America to claim the moral high ground and call for unity after using nothing BUT racist and divisive rhetoric. Seriously, go dig up any news article about Obama from the past 8 years and read the incredibly classy comments.

I'm well aware that many Trump supporters are good people and many Hillary supporters are not so much. But an overwhelming amount of American voters decided that racism and sexual assault are not deal breakers when electing their leader. Michael Moore may be right in that people are angry about the establishment not working for them but they voted for a complete monster to be their champion who is normalizing absolutely disgusting thoughts and actions. Not all Trump supporters are racist but all racists are Trump supporters.

Also I stand completely by my claim that anyone who denies climate change is a moron. That's an understatement actually.

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

Being angry at stupid people does nothing constructive. It just gives you a bit of emotional expression - that's it.
If you actually want change to happen, you can't approach them in a condescending way, and simply dismiss their legitimate concerns about job and border security.
They elected the wrong person to help them, but stupid people don't know they're stupid. Telling them they are just makes them do stupid things, so be careful.

Vio

On a completely unrelated note, TIL that Donald Trump is 70 years old.

There's me thinking he's probably late 40s to mid 50s at the latest. Damn he's got some stamina.

Al

70 is the new 40? My biology professor ran 70 miles for his 70th birthday

edit: But this shit is screwed up. Wonder what it'd take for the electors to vote Hillary in. And in other news, there is now a proposed bill that would remove the electoral college. What do you guys think about that system?
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Vio

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's an outdated and unnecessary system with modern technology, and Trump is actually the 4th time that a president has won despite having lost the popular vote.

Mojo

Quote from: Vio on November 16, 2016, 02:57:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. It's an outdated and unnecessary system with modern technology, and Trump is actually the 4th time that a president has won despite having lost the popular vote.
good idea but not happening.

It needs a 2/3 majority in senate/house and apparently 3/4 of states to approve it too.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Randy

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Mochacho456

Quote from: Randy on November 15, 2016, 04:07:40 PM
Quote from: Mochacho456 on November 13, 2016, 05:33:23 PM

sorry - the second you start name calling, you essentially lose credibility

Does that same logic apply to Donald Trump who has name called and insulted virtually every minority group and countless individuals? What about his legion of supporters that have been calling Obama a Kenyan muslim terrorist for 8 years? It is such a clusterfuck of hypocrisy for the conservatives of America to claim the moral high ground and call for unity after using nothing BUT racist and divisive rhetoric. Seriously, go dig up any news article about Obama from the past 8 years and read the incredibly classy comments.

I'm well aware that many Trump supporters are good people and many Hillary supporters are not so much. But an overwhelming amount of American voters decided that racism and sexual assault are not deal breakers when electing their leader. Michael Moore may be right in that people are angry about the establishment not working for them but they voted for a complete monster to be their champion who is normalizing absolutely disgusting thoughts and actions. Not all Trump supporters are racist but all racists are Trump supporters.

Also I stand completely by my claim that anyone who denies climate change is a moron. That's an understatement actually.

I think what a lot of young americans see as 'uneducated' is simply what it was at the time - normal. 30 years ago when you parents were growing up, it wasn't normal to go to college. Most people entered the workforce after highschool, or served in the military. I don't exactly think i'm any 'smarter' from going to college. I may have more facts, more knowledge, but i don't think that directly related to intelligence per se.

What you should ask is not, 'why did we vote for a monster', but rather 'why did the monster win over the established opponent'.

M A G A DT