• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

My account has been hacked...

Started by Sammyger, October 18, 2016, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammyger

I don't know how this could have happened... I changed passwords frequently. I sent in an appeal. I'm hoping it gets resolved soon. Thankfully I have a authenticator and bank pin. So if you see "Sammyger" log on and I haven't updated the status of this, it's not me. Hopefully I can have this resolved today.   :|

I CE Y

Lait_Choco

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get it back soon and that you still have everything on your bank.

Q: Kimi, do you have any hobbies?
KR: I collect walnuts.

Musical

did you not have an authenticator before hand?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

If they managed to remove authenticator it means your email address was hacked. Jagex really need to add a delay on removing it. Luckily there is a delay on the bank pin.

Good luck and let us know if you get everything fixed.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Sammyger

Got it back guys!!! Sadly they took what I was wearing... about 20 mil worth... I did have an authenticator so somehow they got into my email... they really should add a delay from removing it... At least they didn't get my bank.

Musical

ok so what I want you to do now is get gmail, and then put an authenticator on that email account that way they will not even have access to your email account period. total protection for your account!
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

Quote from: Sammyger on October 18, 2016, 04:40:26 PM
Got it back guys!!! Sadly they took what I was wearing... about 20 mil worth... I did have an authenticator so somehow they got into my email... they really should add a delay from removing it... At least they didn't get my bank.
As musical suggests, recover your email ASAP then put authenticator on your email too.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Sammyger

I put an authenticator on my email as well.. those SOB's will have to try harder next time...

m249

bank everything before you logout too
I slay swamp donkeys for fun

Sammyger

That's the thing... I typically do... I was afking NMZ last night and fell asleep... the hack happened at 4am est this morning. Just bad timing :/

Tog

Your Runescape account, regardless of if it has an authenticator, is only as safe as the Email it's linked to.
This is due a very questionable decision made by Jagex that you can instantly remove an authenticator if you've got access to the email associated to the account.

I made this little guide for one of the Aloha's when they got hacked recently. It will cover all bases and hopefully prevent anything from happening in the future. I hope you find it useful.

• Download Avira (Or BitDefender) and Malwarebytes. Run a full system scan, including a rootkit scan. Avira has one of the highest detection rates, is free and trusted. It also has other free things within the launcher, such as a VPN tool (limited to 500mb for the free version) and a system cleanup tool.
  • Use Gmail (Enable 2 step text authentification) - The Gmail should not be given out. The name should not include your real name.
  • Your Runescape should also have 2 step authentification and a bank pin.
  • Download and use Firefox, install uBlock Origin and Noscript - If you wish to use Chrome, use the Chrome equivalent, as long as they've got a good reputation.
  • Double check all links you click. Shortened links should never be clicked. If you're on TeamSpeak, know that a URL's appearances can be altered. Right click and copy link to clipboard to find it's true URL.
  • Ensure your full name doesn't become public. Nobody needs to know where you live; this is especially true for your Facebook. Be careful what information you give out.
  • Use different passwords for EVERYTHING. If you can't remember 10+ passes, download Veracrypt. Make a encrypted segment on your harddrive and save your passwords in that folder as a text file. If you've got any files that contained sensitive information or your collection of naked selfies showing your beautiful, womanly figure; put them in the encrypted folder too. Alternatively you can use a password manager but personally, I find Veracrypt to be adequate.
  • If you're going to use Skype, for gods sake, give it out only to people you truly, truly trust. That thing is just a security vulnerability with a call feature built on. And that's not even mentioning the fact those bastards spy on you.

Al

Sorry about this man.

I've heard about "scramblers" too (tech savvies help me out). They scramble what you type into your computer, so a keylogger wouldn't be able to get you.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS