• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Community Intro - Amethystia

Started by Vio, April 03, 2017, 06:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vio

COMMUNITY INTRODUCTION: Amethystia

My RuneScape Name: Amethystia

About Me: The first ever birthday present I got was my name. On February 20th of 1993 I got "Keanu", a Hawaiian name - "ke" being a definite article and "anu" meaning "a cool breeze". 11 years later and I was entirely unaware of the etymology when choosing a username for an online game I was being introduced to, and wanted "Kecool" - ironically perfectly appropriate. But sadly it was taken, and for reasons still unknown my friend CJ added "er" onto the end, and thus "Kecooler" became my first RuneScape account.

The next thirteen years of my life could not be properly described without mentioning both RuneScape and WG frequently, much of which is already well known. A few years ago whilst being indoctrinated into a political/social ideology I was tasked with choosing a new name for myself, and settled on "Vio". Pronounciation between the English "Vaio" and French "Veo" isn't particularly important, but I prefer the latter. The name itself is a shortened version of the french "Violet" (because I was not interested in actually calling myself Violet for reasons pertaining to gender), which translates to purple.

While I have since come to my political senses and now denote Vio as a pseudonym for online and creative activity, it serves the same purpose. My love for purple ise a direct result of WG's clan colour. The Wilderness Guardians has irreversably become a part of my identity, and I have the name (and the car, for those of you who have seen Neko) to reflect it.

C'est moi. I'm a 24 year old delivery driver for Domino's, residing in northwest England. I like cars, cats and casual pc gaming. In RuneScape I like slayer, construction and looting fights. I would love to say that once you join the clan world you never leave, but too many players prove that wrong. Nonetheless I haven't after 11 years, the majority of the past 7 being spent in and around WG and it's affiliates.

Clan history (if any): I love this question, simply because every time it pops up on an intro/app form, I can just paste in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lerBYMFmuww

And it saves me so much time cataloguing 11 years of clans. Since that video was made I've rejoined my first clan RBH once again, and thus far remain a member.

Where did you hear about us? The leaked adult forum screenshots & teamspeak rant soundboard, 2006

Planning to join? See below.

Final comments (if any): If you are interested in some constructive criticism on why I have refrained from rejoining WG, here it is.

I have always looked for community in a clan, and WG was the obvious choice when I joined in 2009. To critique the community today would be ineffective - it has actually significantly improved since around 2012/2013.

Here's my problem though - WG historically did not settle for simply having a good community. This was the clan that made tshirts, hosted then-unheard-of real life meetings, produced epic flash movies, had songs, the most elegant and prestigious website in the clan world, and so much more. WG went above and beyond in almost every way possible, and was vastly unique from the rest of the clan world by a large margin.

Starting today, I have a week booked off work for what should have been a real life meeting which Steve and I were interested in hosting. There was only the mildest of interest when I proposed it to our GMT unit, and no sign ups indicated it would not happen.

I called myself Ranged King back in the early days of the SMF era, so 80 range was no problem for me. But power training to 85 magic was not something I was interested in, and thus I, WG/DG Keanu, former Historian, DG Leader, WG Warlord and 2nd in Command, was removed without a second thought for not meeting level requirements.

What this represents is a change of direction. Under Lordship WG was all of the above, under Mojo it is different. And there is nothing wrong with aspiring primarily for success in in-game PvP, as is WG's current focus, but it's not the reason I chose WG 8 years ago.

I have made unbreakable friendships here with people like Lordship, Mojo, Stokenut, and many more, which will outlast the lifespan of RuneScape. I have two WG t-shirts, a diary with WG on the front cover, a car in the clan's colours, and a name. And I have no doubt in my mind that someday I'll find myself posting an application for membership here once again.

But not today.

I'm curious to explore the rest of the clan world now. I've never joined a top clan before and DF only asks for 80 mage, which may be my next port of call. I still have Discord and Facebook to keep in touch with WG in the meantime, but that's all I really need now.

I'm not sure if I hated Edale when it was happening or not. Stuck in a cold, dark barn with no sleeping bag, physically suffering whilst trying to climb a mountain... I think I did hate it. It might be rose-tinted glasses working, but I can't not look back on it with a satisfying fondness. It was one of the last great memories I have of WG. Sure AGS specing people and getting ely splits was nice, but Edale, London, the RuneFests... there isn't much that can compare.

I hope that someday WG feels like climbing mountains again. When that day comes, I'll come home.

Brandon

Discord Name:Brandon

WG Genesis

Nice read and good video. Watched it a while back as I was curious.

I also believe that WG has had a slight change of direction but for good reason.

Back in the day, pking was simple. You'd have people like elvemage using ice burst in mystics with an MSB or Maikel Pro maging in a whip. Now, we have combo eating, tick manipulation etc. among other things such as more organised calls arising from more experience in the pking world and a higher average age group. It is arguable that back in the infancy of pking, lower stats would not have been an issue. However, if you're not at the top of your game right now, you can't do anything. Hence the higher pking requirements.

On the other hand, the more casual players are more or less still there (albeit diminished in numbers). Guildsmen currently only have a total level requirement which is very low. While you may not attend official pk trips, you can always gather a bunch of Guardians and go pking together so the core of the clan is still there.

I never got to know you much but I do remember you from way back when I was in WG. Would have been great to know you better.

Thanks for the post!

jaredspurr

Since im assuming you mean divine forces they have low entry reqs but to go to fa to full member you need max melee and eith 99 mage or range. Plus i think it was 80ish prayer

Mojo

Jared is correct, DF put a massive emphasis on training when you join.

Anyway, detailed as ever, thanks for being one of the first community intros :)
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Frozen 10

Musical

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]