• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

New PC Ideas.

Started by Green, January 08, 2012, 04:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green

I'm thinking of purchasing a new PC sometime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions that meet the following criteria?

In order of importance

• Maximum budget of $1,500 CAD
  • Preferred built-in mic and webcam
  • All-in-one if possible, not mandatory
  • Windows 7 with an Intel Processor(Preferably i3 or i5)

So, if you could at least fit the budget and possibly one of those two preferred hardware preferences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

JC

Quote from: Green on January 08, 2012, 04:09:54 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a new PC sometime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions that meet the following criteria?

In order of importance

• Maximum budget of $1,500 CAD
  • Preferred built-in mic and webcam
  • All-in-one if possible, not mandatory
  • Windows 7 with an Intel Processor(Preferably i3 or i5)

So, if you could at least fit the budget and possibly one of those two preferred hardware preferences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have no idea why you'd want an 'All-in-one', they have most of the downsides of a laptop with none of the benefits :3

How about a laptop? this one here is particularly good value:

Asus G73SW - $1150 CAD

It meets all your requirements above (I'm hoping that Laptop is close enough to all in one for you?) and it is a laptop thats got a pretty good reputation for being a good gaming laptop (The Asus G73 & G74 series are fairly popular for that).

Asus G53X - $1139 CAD

This is probably an even better deal :3
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Green

Thanks JC. I was looking for an actual PC, since I currently play from a laptop. But I'll do some research as to the two you've posted. Any idea if they're available in Canada?

Brent147

I'm almost positive that you can have them shipped too you if they aren't available in Canada, but the likelihood is great that they are because they are distributed by what is probably a massive multibillion dollar company.
Proud to have served as the leader of the Wilderness Guardians.

JC

Newegg.ca is a Canadian website, so I'd hope they can ship them to you :P

If you want to play on something more 'desktop-like' then you can always connect a monitor/keyboard/mouse up to a laptop (Though I suspect from the 'all in one request that space might be limited?).  You could easily get a good screen (22-24" w/LED backlight)/mouse/keyboard and either of the above laptops and stay well within budget.

If there's a particular screen size you'd want post it up & I'll see what I can find.

With mice & keyboards it's more down to personal preference, some people like gaming mice that are covered in buttons and shit whereas I prefer a mouse with as little junk on it as possible :3

Just to be clear, by 'all in one' you meant something like This?
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Green

Yeah, that's what I mean by all-in-one. I've rather changed my mine though, I wouldn't mind a PC with the tower and everything. If you have any suggestions on any PCs that meet my criteria, minus the all-in-one, I'd appreciate if you could post.

Thanks for everything so far, cheers.

JC

Hmmm, this is where things get tricky... Most pre-built desktops (eg. HP's, Dell's etc.) aren't really built for decent gaming (which I assume is what you want if you're spending $1500) and the ones that are aimed at gamers are very expensive (eg. Alienware, which have a starting price of 2000 CAD).

This one from HP is fairly decent:  HP Pavilion HPE h8-1121

You'll need to get a screen/keyboard etc. with that as well, but at $999 you'll be well within budget.

It's a bit tricky for me as I'm not Canadian (obviously) so I don't know what websites over there are reliable other than the big box retailers (eg. Dell, HP, Newegg) so I can't really hunt out the best deals from boutique retailers as I don't want to direct you to a site that isn't trustworthy or whatever.
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Green

Thanks for the help mate. I'll look into the suggestions you've posted.

James

Do you want it to be based on gaming or what? Just a normal computer for everyday use or gaming? If so JC don't you think he should just build his own? Or get the parts from new egg and have them built and sent to him?

JC

Quote from: James on January 14, 2012, 01:13:01 PM
Do you want it to be based on gaming or what? Just a normal computer for everyday use or gaming? If so JC don't you think he should just build his own? Or get the parts from new egg and have them built and sent to him?

Custom built/self built PC's aren't for everyone :3

While I'm sure anyone is capable of building their own (with a bit of guidance of course) I don't think it's sensible if someone obviously doesn't have a huge amount of PC knowledge (no offence intended, but that's what the requirements would indicate) particularly since if you self build it you have to know how to trouble shoot issues.

From a money point of view, I doubt you'd be able to spec up much better than the one I suggested above for $999, but you would get better quality components :P
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Green

I don't have any experience with building a PC, really. I'm going to look into the tower you suggested, JC. I'll speak with a few of my other PC-oriented friends, and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help so far though.

btraill

I almost grabbed that $1200 Asus Gaming laptop for Boxing Day this year. (Yes, available in a good selection of stores in Canada)

They were at Tiger Direct and Best-Buy.

Also, for a $1,500 budget; do no sell yourself short. An i3 processor shouldn't be what you'll include in a $1,500 dollar machine. Go with an i5 or even i7 chipset.

Mark

Lets guess how many times JC can post on this topic?

I pick 7

I set the standard.