• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Jagex Ltd vs Impulse Software

Started by Mojo, January 23, 2012, 08:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Jagex won this court case a few days ago which basically stops the bot developer from botting on any jagex game, they have also been ordered to hand over details of the people who used their bots. They will be fined a huge amount if they return to their botting ways.

a pmod has summarised the case here:

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/g=runescape/c=K0hTdf1bfsA/forums.ws?14,15,101,63523926
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Mark

They havnt mentioned what clients this effects really. If they have and i skimmed over it, must be a no-name software that barely anyone used

I set the standard.

Mojo

Quote from: Mark on January 23, 2012, 09:03:02 PM
They havnt mentioned what clients this effects really. If they have and i skimmed over it, must be a no-name software that barely anyone used
it was called iBot I believe, I think it was quite widely used.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mark

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on January 23, 2012, 09:22:05 PM
Rsbuddy/Powerbot/Rsbots covered around 92% of botters.

Can't have been that wide and I don't think Jagex should regard that as a very big win.

I dont intentionally mean to shoot you down btw, just think Jagex are overstating this one :/

I set the standard.

Mojo

Quote from: Mark on January 23, 2012, 09:28:52 PM

Can't have been that wide and I don't think Jagex should regard that as a very big win.

I dont intentionally mean to shoot you down btw, just think Jagex are overstating this one :/
You're probably right, the pmod in the thread was suggesting that these bot makers were "at the top of the chain" and developed "more than one bot", but they were probably overstating it.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mark

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on January 23, 2012, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: Mark on January 23, 2012, 09:28:52 PM

You're probably right, the pmod in the thread was suggesting that these bot makers were "at the top of the chain" and developed "more than one bot", but they were probably overstating it.

Yeah, top of the chain because the top 3 covered that much of the community. Guess it depends on your idea of how big the chain is

I set the standard.

Brent147

Perhaps this will be the first of many cases that Jagex wins on behalf of getting rid of the bots?
Proud to have served as the leader of the Wilderness Guardians.

Mark

Quote from: Brent147 on January 23, 2012, 10:38:07 PM
Perhaps this will be the first of many cases that Jagex wins on behalf of getting rid of the bots?
Well, about 50% was with rsbuddy, and the head coder gave in for that job. So theres the biggest one out of the way.

Next theyll have to get past Paris etc, and their almost finished coding on some new clients

I set the standard.

btraill

Impulse Software Ltd owns the actual source code/engine that RsBots, AutoFighter, and a ton of other sites use. The reason why it's a big case is because multiple bot platforms actually use the software created by Eric and Mark Snellman. The brothers allowed other 'companies' to distrobute and allowed them to create their own bots using their source/software.

I would say that this was the biggest shutdown since RSBuddy's collapse. Bots like Powerbot will never be functional again because they run off a reflection based source. (Jagex recently rendered all reflection based bots useless).

As a Software Engineer and Developer, I will say this; there will never be a time where RS is bot free. Programmers will always find a way to create new hooks and ways to obscure Jagex's security. However, Jagex has a big advantage and can potentially win the battle if they press hard against developers with cease and desists.

Mojo

Quote from: btraill on January 23, 2012, 11:03:58 PM
However, Jagex has a big advantage and can potentially win the battle if they press hard against developers with cease and desists.

the only problem with this is that I think this case took almost two years to complete!
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mark

Powerbot seemed pretty confident when i checked this morning.

Even loading the client again after rs updates to make the bots log out, Restarts the script from where it was

I set the standard.

g1ng3r pwns

Quote from: Brent147 on January 23, 2012, 10:38:07 PM

I sure hope so. I hope to see the day of an honest community of players

Vio

However, Jagex has a big advantage and can potentially win the battle if they press hard against developers with cease and desists.

Yeah, and we'll be paying membership fees of £30/month to fund that  :@

Mochacho456

Quote from: DG Keanu on January 24, 2012, 09:07:50 AM

Yeah, and we'll be paying membership fees of £30/month to fund that  :@

Any major software company - jagex included, already has a small army of lawyers