• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

It's not just RS that's "dying"

Started by Randy, November 24, 2012, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Found this on Reddit and thought it was worth a share:

Thoughts?

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

btraill

:P

The general gaming market as a whole not just MMORPGS has been in a decline since the early 2000's. Game sales have been in steady decline as well. Gaming lost a lot of its niche market.

Also, WoW is not unique. I hate when people use the term "WoW Clone".

WoW copied everything from Everquest, Asherons Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and more... It was just the first game to massively hit the mainstream market when gaming hit its peak in mainstream popularity.

It is unfortunate... I just try not to think about it. I love my gaming.

Pacman Syu

Interesting. Hopefully EoC will bring a new surge of players.

edit:
Quote from: btraill on November 24, 2012, 06:07:52 PM
Also, WoW is not unique. I hate when people use the term "WoW Clone".

WoW copied everything from Everquest, Asherons Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and more... It was just the first game to massively hit the mainstream market when gaming hit its peak in mainstream popularity.
Yuuup.. I don't think any MMO has actually been "unique" in that manner within the last decade.
NYEK NYEK NYEK.

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ :<

Mojo

if you look closely at the trend chart you will see that it had actually levelled out for RS during the first 6 months of 2012. Then when EoC was announced it had a brief rise then started dropping again :( http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=runescape

What I find wierd about that first graph is that RS is consistently above WoW, meaning more people have searched for it, but there are way less players O_O
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Randy

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on November 24, 2012, 06:23:58 PM
if you look closely at the trend chart you will see that it had actually levelled out for RS during the first 6 months of 2012. Then when EoC was announced it had a brief rise then started dropping again :( http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=runescape

What I find wierd about that first graph is that RS is consistently above WoW, meaning more people have searched for it, but there are way less players O_O
They said in the picture it's due to RS being browser based and WoW having client searches

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Keith

Quote from: Randy on November 24, 2012, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Mojohaza1 on November 24, 2012, 06:23:58 PM

They said in the picture it's due to RS being browser based and WoW having client searches

If it went by online mentions then I'm completely sure that rs would be nearly invisible on the same scale in comparison to WoW

Yeah but it is interesting, maybe its because now that these games are old people have already heard of them and know if they're fun or not, and don't need to re-search them years later and come to the same conclusion. I used to search RS related things a ton of times a day back in the 06 days, now I maybe do like once or twice every few months?
I searched for WoW when I first heard about it, tried it, thought it was ok, never played or searched on it again except to check out what the expansion before this most recent one was about.

Mochacho456

You can't compare search numbers to subscribers.

`Callum

I think the community is getting older and with recent updates people dont have the willpower and time to play, it will surge back up again soon with the newer younger community that havent had to deal with much change

Saint Cove

dying seems like to harsh a word for this kinda thing. it would seem to me more like videogames in general have just been played overmuch and have been exausted out, or becoming that way. when somebody gets exausted do they not normally go to sleep or at least take a nap and wake up to a whole new perspective? i would rather think videogames are going through something like this than just think they are "dying".

This Babylon

i see your point, however you have to look also at what games are popular at the time, theres too many kids playing call of duty and battlefield to count these days, kinda like rs used to be, children these days are taught instant gratification in america, and call of duty lets them "pwn" people based upon skill, not just with the gear they bought or the levels they grinded to, so with that, there obviously going to play the game that matches there lazy lifestyle.

Declineage

Battlefield relieves stress.
Much in the same way chronic masturbation and drug abuse does.
Don't bash it.

Asaad

Hope you don't mind if I steal that picture and post it on sythe. :)
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Mojo

didn't realise sythe still existed l0l
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Asaad

Scamming is alive and well, don't worry. :)
[spoiler]
Guardian from 02/12 - 07/13!
[/spoiler]

Colinwarrior

RS is definitely dying. So is WoW. And all of the other old MMOs (Tibia, Ragnarok, Maple Story, etc...). This is a natural progression, as people move on to newer and better games (GW2, Aion, SWTOR, etc...).

Currently busy with:
Western Michigan University
Proud WG member from January 2006 - Fall 2009 and owner of a WG t-shirt