• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Keith Exercises

Started by Keith, July 03, 2013, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith

I'm making this topic for multiple purposes:
- Training motivation, people knowing what i do every day is a good reason to not miss a day of practice
- Encourage others to exercise, put example workouts on display and show people how to log.
- Encourage others who exercise to log exercise! I'd like to check out people's progress.
- Post count: I figure I can get a few post count if I make a topic.

Who am I? Why the fuark am I exercising?
- I'm Keith
- I've been physically active albeit inconsistently since junior year of highschool (24 now). My biggest drawback has always been consistency and it's what holds me from reaching my true potential. I did winter/spring track/cross country junior and senior year. After graduating I didn't exercise too much freshman year of college, then I ventured into real distance running. I completed 2 marathons within 2 weeks of each other (both seriously undertrained for) when I was 19, and quickly retired from distance running. After more time of doing nothing, I decided I wanted to try out doing triathlons. Starting at the end of my junior year of college, since starting I've qualified for national championships both my senior year and last year (2015). I attended in my senior year, but due to a crash during the race my time wasn't very good. Last year, another crash broke my elbow a couple weeks before I was supposed to go to nationals, so I couldn't attend. Maybe someday. Even if I qualify, I don't like to compete unless I feel that I've prepared well. I'm super competitive so I avoid competition unless I feel like I can win, because losing is not something I'm fantastic at dealing with.
- WHY am I exercising? I have plenty of body confidence, however I'm a little tired of being so thin. Previously my exercising had no aesthetic purpose, although it certainly was a benefit. I recently decided that I felt like putting on a little bit of muscle and it has been going well. Putting on muscle can coincide with my true goals, however. Of course triathletes are ideally thin, shorter distance triathletes can get away with a little more muscle at the more amateur levels, because the power you gain can go pretty fat. As for how I initially motivated myself for everything triathlon: the truth is that I have a farfetched dream of going to the olympics. An olympic distance triathlon is a .93mi swim, 24.8mi bike, and 6.2mi run (1.5km, 40km, 10km). I try my best to work towards that goal while hopefully meeting more reasonable goals along the way. Currently my alternate big goal to the olympics is to compete at the Ironman World Championships. An ironman distance triathlon is a 2.4mi swim, 112 mi bike, and 26.2mi run (3.8km, 180km, 42.2km) Definitely could change though. Olympics will not.

PRs/goals
[spoiler]
Running
1mi/1.61km: 4:53 (2012) I'd like to break 5 again
3.1mi/5km: 18:18 (2009) I want to get this time into the 17s as far as short term goes and the dream is sub 15
6.2mi/10km: 38:53 (2014) Not too unhappy with this time, but sub 35 would be nice for now until the long term goal of sub 31
10 mi/16.1km: 1:07:42 (2014) sub 1hr would be nice
Half (13.1mi/21.1km): 1:30:26 (2014, another very similar time in 2011 during a marathon) Should be able to do this in 1:15 eventually
Marathon(26.2mi/42.2km): 3:31:29 (2011) I want to get sub 3 to qualify for Boston when I come back to this distance

Biking
Longest: 101.6mi/163.5km (2013) I suppose 112mi/180km is the goal since that's ironman length. Maybe 150mi/241.4km someday.
Century (100mi/160.9km): 6:02:21 (2013) 5 hours would be nice.
Olympic Tri highest average speed: 22.5mph/36.2kph (2014) This needs to get to at least 25mph/40.2kph.
Fun biking fact: Top speed I've ever reached on a bicycle? 53mph/85.3kph. Don't try this at home kiddos!

Swimming
Longest: ~1.5 mi/2.4km (2013) ironman length is 2.4mi/3.8km, so that's the goal. Maybe 3mi/4.8km for fun sometime.
.9mi/1.45km: 30:33 (2013) 28:03 (2016, pool) Great jump from 2013 considering the 2016 effort was just a casual workout. Form matters more than anything else! Still nowhere near what it should be.
[/spoiler]

This Month
[spoiler]

Stats: 5'10", 170lb (1.78 meters, 77kg)

Mid-April: Have hit the 15lb gain goal, now to decide whether to keep going to 180 or something and then slim back down to 170ish?  I've brought back some swimming into the routine, in addition to the running. Although I hurt my foot recently so I've been sticking to the pool. I'm sort of in a lull for gains at the moment, I need to get my eating in check if I wanted to keep gaining. But my bench has gone up from essentially struggling with 95lbs to now repping out 155lbs. And I've managed to bench 180lbs, and surpassing my bodyweight has always been a goal of mine! So there's some definite progress for sure. I've been mixing up my routine a little bit to keep it interesting. Going to the gym is routine for sure and I don't see myself falling off course anytime soon.

Doing a 4 day rotation but rest is only on sundays. So 6 consecutive days of exercise, rest, 6 more, rest. I have a pretty good understanding of my own fatigue and I'll adjust should I feel I'm wearing myself out. Abs will be done 3-4 times per 6 days
Day 1: Chest/Tris
Day 2: Back/Bis
Day 3: Shoulders/Traps
Day 4: Legs

The intention is to put on around 10lbs/4.5kg of muscle at the moment. Gained the 10! Next target is 5 more; 170lbs. Gained the 15, reevaluating!(From 155lbs/70.3kg)

No more treadmills for me! weather is nice enough that I can run outside. when I do run, I'll be running somewhere around 2.5 miles, occasionally 4ish. For now.

[/spoiler]

Ask me questions if you have any, always willing to give out advice.

TOTAL DISTANCE LOGGED IN 2012: 449.1 miles! (A lot of unrecorded data)
TOTAL DISTANCE LOGGED IN 2013: 481.1 miles! (A lot of unrecorded data)
TOTAL DISTANCE LOGGED IN 2014: 2397.9 miles!
TOTAL DISTANCE LOGGED IN 2015: 2623.6 miles!
TOTAL DISTANCE LOGGED IN 2016: 3539.3 miles!
Give or take ~50mi/80.5km for yearly totals, (722.8km, 774.3km, 3859km, 4222.3km, 5696km respectively)

You can find where I'm logging all of this information (through a GPS watch, and manual entries) here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3229702

Randy

Good stuff babes. I've been getting into a routine myself but pretty much just weight/muscle gaining.
Lets get some strongs ##

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Mojo

Good luck Kef, you can do it!
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Owen

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Lord Himself

Rachellove9

I was looking for you in spandex.  <3

Looks like your going to be running a good bit.
I'd like to hear about the day before meals and the morning of meals.

I know most runners avoid milk the hours prior to their running.
Can you give a few sample meals and times ahead of the run?
If you don't watch diet, I'll be completely surprised.  lol

Keith

Quote from: Rachellove9 on July 03, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
I was looking for you in spandex.  <3

Looks like your going to be running a good bit.
I'd like to hear about the day before meals and the morning of meals.

I know most runners avoid milk the hours prior to their running.
Can you give a few sample meals and times ahead of the run?
If you don't watch diet, I'll be completely surprised.  lol

I usually run after dinner, but before sunset when it's not too hot out anymore (in the summer), and i bike right when i get home from work. swimming is whenever i get a real chance to, which is rare. If i'm serious about my diet I try to consume lots of carbs and stay on a chicken and vegetable diet + pasta/bread etc - but that's only when I'm really in a health watching stage. I basically drink water and nothing else (aside from beer) but actually i used to have chocolate milk a few hours before races and it would seem to help me a good deal. Now, my meals on race days are super complicated - pack carbs the night before, and in the morning have some more IF I wake up early enough. If the race is soon I try to eat only a little so my stomach doesn't freak out mid-race. But i'm slowly getting the ability to eat right before i run and be totally fine. This spring I'd eat a good pound of food while spinning indoors on my bike and be fine, and one of my greatest accomplishments was 7 slices of pizza followed immediately by 7 miles! Meals are tough, because eating healthy can be costly.

I try to make daily runs into something I can squeeze in anywhere if i need to, so I don't focus too much on eating vs running. Races I take it into consideration. I don't like any one thing i need to do for a day take up a ton of time, "Oh I need to eat RIGHT NOW so I can run in x hours" Only on race day. But if you need something to fuel your runs, carbs are the way to go.

Rachellove9

I'm pretty healthy eater and always aware of diet before I do exercise.

I usually have a protein drink and one scrambled egg if I'll be exercising within two hours of breakfast.
I tried it with no food and found myself like spinning head and almost faint.

Keith

Quote from: Rachellove9 on July 03, 2013, 09:54:53 PM
I'm pretty healthy eater and always aware of diet before I do exercise.

I usually have a protein drink and one scrambled egg if I'll be exercising within two hours of breakfast.
I tried it with no food and found myself like spinning head and almost faint.

The more you work out the more aware of your body you become, sometimes I'll go on a run and realize right away that I'm slightly dehydrated, just based on my performance.

Wayshow

I need to start running or swimming again, but I get off work at 7, an usually eat dinner with my mum after that. I hate exercising after dinner :( I haven't moved for 5 days now and it's getting a bit depressing

Dieyou2000

Quote from: Wayshow on July 04, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
I need to start running or swimming again, but I get off work at 7, an usually eat dinner with my mum after that. I hate exercising after dinner :( I haven't moved for 5 days now and it's getting a bit depressing

Plz come play with my fuzzy, yellow balls.

Rockinmage

Sorry that this is not directly exercise related, but what type of tri-bike do you ride?

Keith

Quote from: Rockinmage on July 04, 2013, 12:45:20 AM
Sorry that this is not directly exercise related, but what type of tri-bike do you ride?

I don't have a triathlon bike, I figured the first major important upgrade was from a mountain bike (Specialized Rockhopper) to a road bike (Trek 1.5 2013):

Except I put bontrager race-x lite aerobars on it, specialzed seat, and shimano dura-ace clip-in pedals. Plus 2 bottle cages of course, attached bike pump, cateye cycle computer, and then a little bag on the back of the seat to keep tools, small bike lock, and such.
I like it a lot, and it's certainly worth the $1100 I spent on it (before upgrades). Makes me take good care of it!

Rockinmage

Nice. In the past I've owned a Trek 2300 and a 1.5. Currently I have no road bike, only a Cannondale mountain bike. I've been strongly considering getting another road bike, because it is a lot easier to find people to ride with it on the road around here than it is in the woods. I've got my eye on a Cannondale Slice 5 105, I've just not figured out how to afford it yet. :)

Al

very nice bike
also under 5 min mile nize
also going to start my own blog with boxing. not exactly sure how but yea diet i guess
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Quikdrawjoe

Tun Unit prepared you well ##

Former Tip.It Super Moderator, LND Legionnaire, WG Elite Guardian

Tip.It and WG Real Life Meeting Attendee

Wayshow

Al

Nice. Can you tell us about the crashes?
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Keith

Quote from: Al on August 23, 2015, 03:38:54 AM
Nice. Can you tell us about the crashes?

Well during nationals last year in arizona I was just starting with my ride and not even 1 mile in (because I was trying to put on my shoes still) I crashed. What had happened was that a latch on my shoes wasn't tightening and I was very close to a curb when I was bending down to adjust it, and my wheels got locked up against the curb. When that happens there's almost no way to turn out of it, and I went down at about 25 mph into rocks. Landing in rocks was lucky actually, because they move out of the way when you hit them whereas the street won't. So all that really happened was bloody road rash the rest of the ride and torn clothes, a little soreness. Dehydration slowed me down more than the crash did, probably. That race was my fastest bike split race despite the crash.

The most recent crash I was commuting to work and was traveling parallel to some railroad tracks and tried to hop sideways across them. I got over the first one but the second one I got the front wheel stuck in a crack between the road and the track and my wheel totally stopped while I was going 20mph. The bike kind of slid sideways but I did a kind of rolling flip as I fell off. Jumped back up right away and kept going to work. Worse road rash this time and after being at work for 5 hours I realized my arm wasn't bending anymore so I got it checked out and yeppp broken elbow. So I was out of commission for swimming and lifting at least til now. I was biking to work in a sling about a week after it happened.

Also mojo move this to sports ##

Keith

Ancient bump, but I've been keeping up with this for the past few months so it's still relevant ##