• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Why Runescape is Dying

Started by His Lordship, November 28, 2013, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

His Lordship

Flames377

Your probably right RS3 is the future of Runescape, but i doubt jagex will do anything to change it no matter how many videos you make explaining your thoughts.

Honestly what they should do is once you step into the wilderness, eoc mode is disabled and it is converted back to the old combat system + do monthly poles similar to 07 which update and improve the wilderness/pvp.

I like what your doing here but honestly i don't think it will do anything and you will probably just get flamed from haters.

Mojo

havent watched yet cos im at uni, but is runescape as a whole actually dying? I don't think so
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

His Lordship

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on November 28, 2013, 11:51:14 PM
havent watched yet cos im at uni, but is runescape as a whole actually dying? I don't think so

It definitely is, as several J-Mods told me at Runefest.

His Lordship

Quote from: Flames377 on November 28, 2013, 11:47:06 PM
Your probably right RS3 is the future of Runescape, but i doubt jagex will do anything to change it no matter how many videos you make explaining your thoughts.

Honestly what they should do is once you step into the wilderness, eoc mode is disabled and it is converted back to the old combat system + do monthly poles similar to 07 which update and improve the wilderness/pvp.

I like what your doing here but honestly i don't think it will do anything and you will probably just get flamed from haters.

Will it really do nothing?
My Wilderness Bio has been circulated around Jagex.
Apparently it was the motivation behind Warbands.
Mod Pi took it on holiday to study it.

I think it doesn't hurt to try.
The greater crime is not to speak out.

Randy

Man this topic is depressing... But you're right though. This game is in a steep decline.
I had a conversation about this with Nightshade just the other night about this.

PvP will help RuneScape for sure but it will only keep people playing assuming they even start.
I think the real issue here is Jagex's incompetency to adapt RS to the modern gaming environment.
RS was growing massively in the "golden ages" because it was relevant to gaming at the time.
Now, in 2014, shit graphics... choppy, repetitive, unbalanced gameplay... browser game... all irrelevant.

Why play RuneScape when there are hundreds of alternatives? Truth is most people still play this for memory and friendship sake.

I truly believe the future of RuneScape is in mobile gaming. Jagex have already announced a tablet version but we need smartphones as well.
It has the simplicity (clicking, graphics) of an iPhone game with the appeal for all ages.
Games half as good get MILLIONS of players.

PvP fixes are necessary, I agree with you, but that won't bring in the next generation.
They need to extend their reach and why not but a little Scape in everyone's pocket?

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

His Lordship

You're right Randy... probably.
I'm no expert on the appeal of games in the industry - my specialty is limited to PKing so that's all I could talk about.

Patty

From an outsiders perspective who wants to come into a game knowing there's 26 skills each one taking on average 100 hours to complete (some more some less)... It would cool to try some PVP specific servers or something where you're given all 99 combat stats and the whole focus is on improving your PVP skills and having epic wars... Not that it would ever happen.

Randy

Quote from: Patty on November 29, 2013, 12:53:21 AM
From an outsiders perspective who wants to come into a game knowing there's 26 skills each one taking on average 100 hours to complete (some more some less)... It would cool to try some PVP specific servers or something where you're given all 99 combat stats and the whole focus is on improving your PVP skills and having epic wars... Not that it would ever happen.
Guild Wars

I posted that on Gene's thread a while back and got completely ignored lol
http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1587367-update-on-page-10-jagex-offers-an-olive-branch/page__st__20#entry15430255

I am the one who bends!
WG for 7+ years

Ts Stormrage

http://www.tip.it/runescape/times/view/1103-oh-grow-up

The article that resulted from my discussion with Randy...

I don't think RS is dying (I haven't watched your vid yet at this point), but it will if nothing changes...

Going mobile with HTML5 etc is one of the things that'll save RS... RS2 will by then be played by only a relatively minute amount of people...
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

The_Poet

I really think it's too late, the large prospective player base that you are talking about I believe fall into the category of a) Are pissed off with Jagex and won't come back b) Tried 07 and forgot how long it takes to level or got pissed off due to lack of PKers c) Nostalgic players - the small percentage that may come back, but don't like change and want it to be the same as it was back in the day.

What I believe Jagex need to do is start from scratch with new low level players and work with them to encourage them into PVP and clans from low levels. Most people who would PK and are of a certain age have already heard of runescape and it's bad reputation so they are not likely to be drawn back. It's the new generation of young players that need to be encouraged in and drawn into PVP and clans. If Runescape was a business - it's time to rebrand!

Clans in 07 are guilty of the same thing. The majority of the players aren't 90+ or 100+ or are comfortable to jump through the old school clan membership hoops and activity levels. They don't have the time to level to join a clan and are wary of irc and offsite websites. They are low level players who PK individually or in small groups of friends. Perhaps we can keep PKing going by starting a larger clan community at the low end of the level spectrum and make it easy for them to join and be part of something?

Al

Join the discussion - account only takes 10 seconds to make, no validation needed. Also save my rep. D:

http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/1rofrg/why_runescape_is_dying/
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Prazo

Why do we have to worry about runescape dying, lets make the most of it until it dies. And i think the game Runescape is done, if i could say something to Mod Mark or whoever is in charge would be to let the game go and try to create a new game, it feels as if runescape is worn out, we need something brand new.

Mojo

Quote from: Prazo on November 29, 2013, 03:31:12 PM
Why do we have to worry about runescape dying, lets make the most of it until it dies. And i think the game Runescape is done, if i could say something to Mod Mark or whoever is in charge would be to let the game go and try to create a new game, it feels as if runescape is worn out, we need something brand new.
Jagex have created lots of new games already, they just haven't been very successful.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BeeBee

Playing Guild Wars 2 currently. Having WvW 70vs70 zerg fights makes me miss the old clan world :<
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

His Lordship

Quote from: Prazo on November 29, 2013, 03:31:12 PM
I did answer that... if something is good, why not try to keep it going rather than throw in the towel so easily?

Deane

The gaming industry has definitely changed but Jagex is missing out on a lot of potential customers I agree. Most games to cater towards player vs player.

Elyxiatic

Make a new skill that is only trainable in the wilderness.
You have to go deeper into the wilderness to train it at higher levels.

That'll show those completionist cape skillers  ##

Mojo

Quote from: Elyxiatic on November 30, 2013, 05:41:17 AM

Sounds like a good way to make a lot of people mad :D
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Ts Stormrage

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on November 30, 2013, 02:49:52 PM
Quote from: Elyxiatic on November 30, 2013, 05:41:17 AM

Sounds like a good way to make a lot of people mad :D

most people like this
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

Al

Or, make a new task book in the wilderness. Involves people to use it for Comp requirements too.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

His Lordship

That has already been suggested in the appendix.
Jagex has that idea and many others.
Mod Mark is stopping them from doing anything with it.

Prazo

Quote from: His Lordship on December 01, 2013, 02:07:09 AM
That has already been suggested in the appendix.
Jagex has that idea and many others.
Mod Mark is stopping them from doing anything with it.
mod mark only cares about runescape lore.
true story  :3

Clorviolt

A great video; watched all of it.

Sadly I don't think RuneScape will ever recover. The complexity behind the eoc/rs3 and jagex's indifference to their userbase really was the final nail in the coffin. Jagex is too proud to let go of eoc.  Whelp, at least they still have 1 month to redeem themselves and prove that this year really is the year of the players.

Leffe

I actually like EOC.

LOLINB4IGETLYNCHED

Proud core member of what used to be the best and most famous dutch clan - Michie Super