• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Calling upon JC the god of lurking

Started by Patty, May 28, 2014, 01:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

:3 hey qtpi, my build is getting a bit old (q6600 with a 750ti I chucked in recently as a temp replacement to my old card that died.)

opinions? Is anything a bottleneck? Rather not spend MUCH more than that, but if any suggestions for changes are appreciated.

(Not retarded already have other components.)

Mojo

New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Patty

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on May 28, 2014, 01:13:14 AM
looks expensive o.O
Yeah but it'll be fairly future proof, will last next 6 years or whatever of this console generation :).

JC

Quote from: Patty on May 28, 2014, 01:11:51 AM
:3 hey qtpi, my build is getting a bit old (q6600 with a 750ti I chucked in recently as a temp replacement to my old card that died.)

opinions? Is anything a bottleneck? Rather not spend MUCH more than that, but if any suggestions for changes are appreciated.

(Not retarded already have other components.)

Looks sexy in a very geeky way :3

I guess my question is - what do you intend to do with it? the reason I ask is targeted at two things, being your memory and CPU choices - regarding the RAM:

• Windows is quite frankly 'Greedy' - if there's more RAM I generally find it will use it.
  • Games are also getting more RAM hungry too
  • RAM works better as a pair than a single channel

For those reasons, I'd either suggest going for a dual channel kit and aim for 16GB of RAM - it sounds like overkill, but that brings it in line with the rest of your spec.  Of course you might be stealing some RAM from your over one...

With regard to the CPU - there really is no good reason to go for an i7 for home users - in thread heavy applications they can provide some benefits however in most tasks you or I would do at home (eg. kicking ass on BF4 :3) it provides no benefit for a fairly hefty added cost. 

The other question is are you planning to overclock it - if not, don't worry about the -K.

If you want overclocking go for this:  http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19390

If you don't then I'd suggest this: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21695

The 4x90 series has only just come out so there's no 'K' version yet.

Everything else seems pretty good - It's pretty close to what I'd like, although I tend to spend too much on Holidays now to actually sink so much into a nice PC lol.  I have only got awesome things to say about Noctua and I've had a great run out of my Gigabyte Motherboards.

Oh last question - have you got an SSD? if not, get one :3
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Patty

:3 got an SSD too! omg boot speed is insane, and my computer is like sooooo much quieter now... It's like scary in comparison

Will find what the safest cpu OC is I can get and muck around with OCing video card and get some benchmark on games.

VIDEO GAMES!

Oh and playtech managed to stuff up and send me ripjaw RAM when I payed for Budget range, free $60 :3.

Mojo

looks like a good set up :)

What's the boot speed now?
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

geoff_7th

Patty

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on May 31, 2014, 07:28:22 AM

Counted 11 seconds from the Motherboard boot screen to being into windows

JC

Quote from: Patty on May 31, 2014, 11:27:28 PM

It's nice isn't it, obviously the benefits aren't just restricted to boot up time but it is great when it barely manages to fully load the Windows logo before it's done :3

Looks like a good rig, I'd be curious to see how that runs some proper games (no guys, RS does not count....) especially at 1080p - I'd imagine it would be at or close to max graphics on pretty much everything.
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Patty

Quote from: JC on June 01, 2014, 07:47:26 AM
Quote from: Patty on May 31, 2014, 11:27:28 PM

It's nice isn't it, obviously the benefits aren't just restricted to boot up time but it is great when it barely manages to fully load the Windows logo before it's done :3

Looks like a good rig, I'd be curious to see how that runs some proper games (no guys, RS does not count....) especially at 1080p - I'd imagine it would be at or close to max graphics on pretty much everything.
So far the only thing that's given me too much trouble is Metro 2033, but that's bad optimization. Tried Metro Last light, Farcry 3, BF3 and Watchdogs Thus far, can play all on ultra (minus some things like x16 anti aliasing) at solid 60.

JC

Yeah, much like Crysis ('1') I don't think Metro 2033 actually runs well on anything, It's a beautiful game nonetheless :3

I'm fairly tempted by a 770 - the only thing that puts me off is that I haven't actually had time to pay any games for at least a month so I'm not sure it's worth it for me.  I wouldn't be worried normally, but my 560 Ti is pretty much on it's last legs (a fan bearing has failed, so it sounds like an electric drill for ~30 seconds when it starts up) so I should grab one while I'm overseas  :@
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Patty

Yeah glad I didn't waste the extra money on 780, for 1080p 770 is absoultely fine :3. Yeah I'm just a lazy ass student so I have plenty of time for gaming :>, but if you do upgrade I can reccomend the 770 (even though the 800 series will probably be out soon enough so maybe it's worth waiting.)

JC

Quote from: Patty on June 01, 2014, 10:36:30 PM
Yeah glad I didn't waste the extra money on 780, for 1080p 770 is absoultely fine :3. Yeah I'm just a lazy ass student so I have plenty of time for gaming :>, but if you do upgrade I can reccomend the 770 (even though the 800 series will probably be out soon enough so maybe it's worth waiting.)

Ah the good old conundrum with IT equipment - 'But the new one is only a few months away' :3

Probably will go for the 870 though (assuming it fits in the same price bracket as a 770 with a performance bump of course), the 750/750 Ti is supposedly using similar tech to what we can expect in the 800 series and they've got pretty incredible performance per watt so we can probably expect some pretty awesome cards.

A 780 would have been pretty overkill for 1080p - I didn't realise you were running such a low res, you should upgrade your screen now ##
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Patty

Quote from: JC on June 01, 2014, 11:45:28 PM
Quote from: Patty on June 01, 2014, 10:36:30 PM

Ah the good old conundrum with IT equipment - 'But the new one is only a few months away' :3

Probably will go for the 870 though (assuming it fits in the same price bracket as a 770 with a performance bump of course), the 750/750 Ti is supposedly using similar tech to what we can expect in the 800 series and they've got pretty incredible performance per watt so we can probably expect some pretty awesome cards.

A 780 would have been pretty overkill for 1080p - I didn't realise you were running such a low res, you should upgrade your screen now ##
lol I just bought this monitor like 6 months ago :(, fucking technology!