• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Basic F2P Legacy Warring

Started by Mojo, October 15, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Basic F2P Warring

Welcome to my basic F2P Warring Guide.
This guide gives the basics of warring in F2P Legacy mode, specifically in Clan Wars Arena (CWA), but many of the tips here can be used in the Wilderness, Rated Clan Wars (RCW) and even P2P or EoC.

Gear

Let's start with the gear you will need.
There are essentially two styles you can use.
It is useful to save at least one of these options in a Preset slot in your bank.

Mage/Melee
Click the spoiler directly below each image to learn about each setup.

[spoiler=Gear, Inventory and Bank Breakdown]
Worn Equipment and Alternatives
(clockwise from Helmet slot)
Ancient Full Helm. Replace with Rune Full Helm if you cannot afford it.
Team 17 Cape, purchase from Bandit camp in Wilderness.
Batwing Torso.
Empty Shield slot, replace with Bat Book if you do not own a Gravite Staff.
Batwing Legs.
Batwing Boots.
Explorers Ring 4, Explorers Ring 3 is good enough. Quickly complete the Lumbridge tasks if you do not have this.
Batwing Gloves.
Gravite Staff, purchase for 40k tokens from Dungeoneering. Replace with Bat Wand if you do not own it.
Rune Arrows, not required.
Amulet of Zealots, makes buffer prayers (explained below) a lot more powerful. Obtain from Dungeoneering if you do not have it. Replace with Amulet of Power while training Dungeoneering.

Backpack
Magic Shieldbow (sighted), the sight costs only 10k tokens from Dungeoneering, attach it to a Magic Shieldbow, which you should use if you do not have a sighted bow.
Gravite 2h Sword, purchase for 40k tokens from Dungeoneering. Replace with Rune 2h Sword if you do not own it.
Defence Potion (4).
Magic Potion (4).
Ancient Platebody. Replace with Rune Platebody if you cannot afford it.
Ancient Plateskirt. Replace with Rune Plateskirt if you cannot afford it.
Swordfish x4, eat when being sniped.
Anchovy Pizza x14, main tanking food.
Fire Runes.
Air Runes.
Nature Runes.
Expensive Spices, it is IMPORTANT to have this. Obtain it by doing a 15 minute quest. Do not wear it, backpack only. Amulet info here. Quest info here.

Bank
Spare Swordfish.
Spare Anchovy Pizzas.
Yew Logs, explained below.
[/spoiler]

Ranged/Melee
Click the spoiler directly below each image to learn about each setup.

[spoiler=Gear, Inventory and Bank Breakdown]
Worn Equipment and Alternatives
(clockwise from Helmet slot)
Ancient Full Helm. Replace with Rune Full Helm if you cannot afford it.
Team 17 Cape, purchase from Bandit camp in Wilderness.
Ancient Platebody. Replace with Rune Platebody if you cannot afford it.
Empty Shield slot.
Ancient Plateskirt. Replace with Rune Plateskirt if you cannot afford it.
Batwing Boots.
Explorers Ring 4, Explorers Ring 3 is good enough. Quickly complete the Lumbridge tasks if you do not have this.
Rune Gaunlets, purchased from the GE or Fist of Guthix (FoG) and charged at FoG with FoG tokens if purchased from GE. Use Batwing Gloves if you do not have FoG tokens.
Gravite 2h Sword, purchase for 40k tokens from Dungeoneering. Replace with Rune 2h Sword if you do not own it.
Rune Arrows.
Amulet of Zealots, makes buffer prayers (explained below) a lot more powerful. Obtain from Dungeoneering if you do not have it. Replace with Amulet of Power while training Dungeoneering.

Backpack
Magic Shieldbow (sighted), the sight costs only 10k tokens from Dungeoneering, attach it to a Magic Shieldbow, which you should use if you do not have a sighted bow.
Gravite Shortbow, purchase for 40k tokens from Dungeoneering. Replace with Magic Shortbow if you do not own it. Note that you need both types of bow, not just a shield- or short- bow.
Blue D'hide Body.
Blue D'hide chaps.
Swordfish x4, eat when being sniped.
Anchovy Pizza x16, main tanking food.
Defence Potion.
Ranging Potion, swap for Attack Potion if you plan to Melee a lot.
Strength Potion.
Expensive Spices, it is IMPORTANT to have this. Obtain it by doing a 15 minute quest. Do not wear it, backpack only. Amulet info here. Quest info here.

Bank
Spare Swordfish
Spare Anchovy Pizzas
Yew Logs, explained below.
[/spoiler]

Before The Fight

So you've checked the war topic for the correct mass time and you have all your gear.
That means it is time to mass for the fight.
This is generally done at World 20 Gamers' Grotto which can be reached via a Games Necklace teleport or by running directly East from Falador Lodestone.

The mass period, usually 30 minutes, is a great time to check you are ready for the war.
You should have done all of the following:

• Turn Legacy Mode on. Press "Esc", click "Game Settings" and select "Legacy Mode".
  • Check that you are on the Regular Prayerbook.
  • Check that you are on Regular Magics and set Fire blast to auto-cast.
  • Turn Sound Effects on and Music and Ambient Sounds off. To do this press "Esc", click "Audio Settings" and toggle the appropriate sounds on and off. This is done so that you can hear when the opponent clan is attacking you.
  • Connect to TeamSpeak.
  • Turn off Auto-retaliate.
  • Set your Quick Prayers to Protect from Magic AND Steel Skin.
  • Join the correct Friends Chat. Ask in game or on TS for details.

About 5 minutes before the war begins you should enter the red or white portal safe zones with 6 Yew Logs.
Make a bonfire and then add 5 logs to the bonfire, this gives you a life point boost of 1 to 5% depending on your Firemaking Level.
Be sure to go to the bank and fill the empty inventory spaces with food after you have made your bonfire.

You are now ready to fight!

During The Fight

So you are now in the Purple Portal and ready to fight, this is where the fun begins!

The two most important things to do while in the fight are listen to callers and do maximum damage.
Coming a close third is tanking.

Let's explain the first two first.
Organisation is very important, so you should follow the instructions and piles which the Warlords call on TeamSpeak (TS).
This means at all times, even if somebody has low HP and is about to die you should switch to the target called.

In order to do maximum damage during the fight make sure you are doing ALL of the following:

• Listen to callers at all times.
  • Use your buffer prayers. Buffer prayers are the stat boosting prayers to the right of Steel Skin. You should use both of the prayers appropriate for your style. E.G. If you are using a Gravite 2h Sword then put on Ultimate Strength and Incredible Reflexes. When your prayers get down to around 350, turn them off. You do not need more than this to tank. The Amulet of zealots provides a very good boost to buffer prayers, this is why you should wear it instead of a power amulet.
  • Unless you are maging do not use the style they are praying, switch to your other style. Mages should focus on binds if they are praying mage.
  • Avoid getting dragged around walls, switch to Ranged or Magic if this happens while Meleeing.
  • Use the correct gear for your style. For example, if you Mage in D'hide you in incur a large accuracy penalty. It is important that at least one of your top or legs are of the correct style. Basically, Melee in Rune, Mage in Batwing and Range in D'hide.
  • When Maging bind the opponent often, after every 2 or 3 blast hits you should bind again.
  • When our target dies immediately attack another target close by. When callers pick the new target you should immediately switch to this person.
  • Clump up. This means stay close to your clanmates and do not stand alone. This would give them an easy kill

Now let's look at the final point, tanking.
At some point during the fight it is likely you will be attacked.
Sometimes it might be just snipers but usually the whole clan will be trying to attack you.
Either way, you must quickly do the following steps in this order:

• Active quick prayers.
  • Click on the map or minimap to run away.
  • Put on your full rune and shieldbow.
  • Spam click the first half of your pizzas.
  • Continue running and eating until dead or you have dragged them off.
If you find that it was just snipers or if the opponent switches off you then return to the WG pile as soon as possible.
Do not return through the enemy though.
Make sure you put your buffer prayers on again and eat up to full HP.

After The Fight

With any luck you will come out of the fight victorious.
Either way, remain respectful towards the opponent, even if they are flaming you!
If there are further rounds to be done then be sure to bank your half pizzas and fill your inventory with more food.

This concludes the guide, if you have any questions or you feel I have missed something then leave a reply in this thread.
Thanks for reading :)

Mojo
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Zemus

thanks for the guide!
Is there much of a difference in damage/utility playing in legacy compared to eoc abilities? or are fights done in legacy only worlds now?

Mojo

Quote from: Zemus on October 15, 2014, 02:46:20 AM
thanks for the guide!
Is there much of a difference in damage/utility playing in legacy compared to eoc abilities? or are fights done in legacy only worlds now?
we and nearly every rsc clan always war on Legacy only worlds. In general abilities do more damage but I am not sure whether they do in F2P as the number of abilities is more limited.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lord Himself

Thanks for this mojo! ^.^
That thing in the corner of your invent is a spices thing right?
I had no idea and bought a camulet xD
I didn't know they allowed soo many potions in f2p either. So if you could list the items as words it'd help :)
No idea what that is in the neck slot is either! Once again thanks for this!

I CE Y

Quote from: Amshan on October 15, 2014, 12:52:44 PM
Thanks for this mojo! ^.^
That thing in the corner of your invent is a spices thing right?
I had no idea and bought a camulet xD
I didn't know they allowed soo many potions in f2p either. So if you could list the items as words it'd help :)
No idea what that is in the neck slot is either! Once again thanks for this!

He's wearing the amulet of zealots and the one in the corner of his invent is expensive spices which adds an extra +5 hp when you eat (i think)

The potions you are allowed in F2P are: Strength, Attack, Defence, Magic/Range (regular.. not super)

Mojo

I HAVE listed the items. They are in the spoiler below each screenshot. I will try to make it clearer.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lord Himself

Quote from: Mojo on October 15, 2014, 03:53:48 PM
I HAVE listed the items. They are in the spoiler below each screenshot. I will try to make it clearer.
<3 ^.^

Mojo

Before the fight, section completed.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

This guide is now complete, I might be missing a few tips and tricks so feel free to mention any on here.

Questions are also welcome :)
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

Added the following onto the doing damage section, completely forgot to mention it:

QuoteUnless you are maging do not use the style they are praying, switch to your other style. Mages should focus on binds if they are praying mage.

Is that clear to people or should i reword it?
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Al

Quote from: Mojo on October 20, 2014, 04:50:36 AM
Added the following onto the doing damage section, completely forgot to mention it:

QuoteUnless you are maging do not use the style they are praying, switch to your other style. Mages should focus on binds if they are praying mage.

Is that clear to people or should i reword it?

Do not use the style they are praying, unless you are maging. Focus on binds if you are.

How about that?
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Mojo

Added this to damage section too:

QuoteWhen our target dies immediately attack another target close by. When callers pick the new target you should immediately switch to this person.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Coach

Have pretty much all warring gear just need to re set up my tab.

Banana

I recommend the berserker shield instead of the magic shieldbow in melee/range - pray magic with that set up!

And with the mage/melee set up, I'd pray range/melee using shieldbow and batwing.
RuneScape Name: Monkeyy
IRC Name: Banana
TeamSpeak Name: Banana

Contact me on IRC or in game for any Questions.
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes
80% of success is showing up
Monkey See, Monkey do!

SIRAHAAD

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Hit_chance

i think for mage/melee it should be batwing hood over rune helm they have the same stats but better average accuracy as a mage/melee.

while pushing for rune gauntlets in range/melee over vambrace or batwing gloves, maybe set up a FoG clan event for everyone.

Mojo

Quote from: SIRAHAAD on December 31, 2014, 03:06:16 AM

i think for mage/melee it should be batwing hood over rune helm they have the same stats but better average accuracy as a mage/melee.

while pushing for rune gauntlets in range/melee over vambrace or batwing gloves, maybe set up a FoG clan event for everyone.
yeh i'm aware it gives a small accuracy penalty, I did it because the tanking set up in this guide uses full rune and the batwing hood imbalances the set up if you tank with it.

I have seen some people tank with full batwing so I may consider updating the guide with that at some point.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Scimmy

I agree although should have a rune helm in the inventory - matter of opinion tbh
"It began with a scorpion"
[spoiler=My Hall of Fame]

[/spoiler]

SIRAHAAD

Quote from: Mojo on December 31, 2014, 04:25:21 AM

yeh i'm aware it gives a small accuracy penalty, I did it because the tanking set up in this guide uses full rune and the batwing hood imbalances the set up if you tank with it.

I have seen some people tank with full batwing so I may consider updating the guide with that at some point.

if you look through the link on block chance, the equipment multiplier shows the nature of the new eoc triangle and how what you wear improves your block chance. looking at that and considering that most piles are melee piles with blasters for binding, and sniping is no longer a major threat, i would say that having batwing would give a slightly higher block chance in such piles than rune. which if looked at in the long run would make quite a bit of a difference, unless they are a ranged heavy clan. even if they are ranged heavy, most damage is done by the melee'ers and as long as you can get that slight bit extra block chance on a bind (batwing>rune) you can tank better.

Quote from: Scimmy on December 31, 2014, 04:26:19 AM

I agree although should have a rune helm in the inventory - matter of opinion tbh

i think it was banana i spoke with about rune helm in invent could have been someone else, but they said it would take up an extra invent space and increase switch time.

SIRAHAAD

Quote from: SIRAHAAD on December 31, 2014, 10:03:24 AM

if you look through the link on block chance, the equipment multiplier shows the nature of the new eoc triangle and how what you wear improves your block chance. looking at that and considering that most piles are melee piles with blasters for binding, and sniping is no longer a major threat, i would say that having batwing would give a slightly higher block chance in such piles than rune. which if looked at in the long run would make quite a bit of a difference, unless they are a ranged heavy clan. even if they are ranged heavy, most damage is done by the melee'ers and as long as you can get that slight bit extra block chance on a bind (batwing>rune) you can tank better.

you cant really do much about the opponent accuracy, or your equipment except what banana said, but in all cases instead of just melee/ranged because of its extra 26 armour.

Quote from: Banana on December 26, 2014, 07:27:43 PM
I recommend the berserker shield instead of the magic shieldbow in melee/range - pray magic with that set up!

Scimmy

Quote from: SIRAHAAD on December 31, 2014, 10:03:24 AM

Quote from: Scimmy on December 31, 2014, 04:26:19 AM

i think it was banana i spoke with about rune helm in invent could have been someone else, but they said it would take up an extra invent space and increase switch time.
yeah , i tried it a couple times when i warred with arroz once, in the end i didnt like it but like i said, it really is a matter of opinion
"It began with a scorpion"
[spoiler=My Hall of Fame]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

Updated to include Ancient Armour in the gear pictures.
Also added in d'hide chaps for rangers which weren't in my pic before.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Statics

Thanks for guide will try that set up :afro:

Banana

Just thought I'd also point out: what works for one, may not work for another - e.g. Both Mojo and I have different ways of setting up, generally consisting of the same gear. However our layouts are done in such a way that it is beneficial to us and the way we tank.
Word of advice is take each of these set ups with an idea on how to manipulate the way its laid out so that you have something you are comfortable with & still produces the best KO/tank output.

~ Banana words of wisdom #183
RuneScape Name: Monkeyy
IRC Name: Banana
TeamSpeak Name: Banana

Contact me on IRC or in game for any Questions.
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes
80% of success is showing up
Monkey See, Monkey do!

Karlfischer

Appreciate if anyone could help me with this gear question:

Since I don't have the dungeonnering level or time to do it (even if I did, I would rather spend training in OS), what if I used a corrupt dragon mace with berserker shield instead of R2h? 

I think this would be more effective for me, as the last time I went to a war I had a hard time switching gear and died fast, so it would help me to already have the shield equipped.

Mojo

Quote from: Karlfischer on November 30, 2015, 02:04:26 AM
Appreciate if anyone could help me with this gear question:

Since I don't have the dungeonnering level or time to do it (even if I did, I would rather spend training in OS), what if I used a corrupt dragon mace with berserker shield instead of R2h? 

I think this would be more effective for me, as the last time I went to a war I had a hard time switching gear and died fast, so it would help me to already have the shield equipped.
ok well firstly let me say that we haven't done an RS3 fight for quite a few months now but you never know what the future holds and we are technically still open for all applicants for RS3.

So basically using the corrupt mace and shield would not be allowed in most Legacy wars as corrupt is nearly always turned off. If it was on then this topic would have corrupt weapons and armour listed.

If for some reason it is on then it still would not be a good idea. The reason for that is you'd do 33% less damage than an equivalent 2h weapon and an unknown percentage less damage than a Rune 2h.
Considering that even the best tanks don't last too long on RS3 then you're better off just using the Rune 2H and doing as much damage as possible.

Finally regarding Dung training I'd suggest checking out Sinkholes. It's a quick and easy D&D which gives you dung XP and more importantly tokens. If you're P2P then just head to world 134 and talk to the Talsar guy West of the Dung teleport spot. Happens every hour at :30 past the hour.

and as I said at the start keep in mind that we don't actually do Legacy fights right now :P
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]