• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

High end PC Overclocking/low FPS

Started by Mister Kyle, August 24, 2016, 09:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Kyle

I NEED HALP

Okay so. To start off, my PC's specs.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Mobo: ASrock Z97 Extreme4
RAM: 16GB(8x2) EVGA 2400 SuperSC DDR3 Series

So yeah. I went and benchmarked it, was surprised to find pretty low scores. If anyone is familiar with the benchmarking engine 3DMark, that's what I used.

Pre-OC:

Post-OC:

So like.. this isn't making sense. Halp.

Izi Mid

did you do any stress testing? aida64 stress test is great to see if your overclock is stable

Izi Mid

also as a note do not use any automatic overclocking tools provided by manufacturers. They will surely cause problems and rarely ever work.
If you want post your bios settings here and I can check them for you.

Mister Kyle

So I'll assume not to trust the BIOS auto-OC tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsn_Orange

are you using any sort of smooth scaling? that ruins fps when it isnt needed. even on high end comps. other things could be background programs. There's a list of things.

Mister Kyle

Yeah I'm at work right now, I'll try it again once I get home, and I'll check the settings on 3DMark, and verify that isn't on. I didn't edit the settings on the benchmark itself, I just ran it at vanilla settings for Fire Strike Extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izi Mid

it looks as if you have used some form of auto overclocking tool. 4.7GHZ is too high for that chip. I also noticed that 4.7GHZ is the turbo setting. Intel chips only go into turbo when there is thermal/power headroom. Unless you have a really beefy heatsink you wont get 4.7GHZ to be stable. If you dont have experience with overclocking I would suggest leaving default bios settings to avoid damage to the chip/motherboard. If you do want to overclock you need to manually set the frequency to ~4.4GHZ and also set the Vcore to a suitable voltage, this is for you to figure out as all cpu's are different in what we call the 'silicon lottery'. I check the specs for your chip and it defaults at 1.273V on Vcore.

Disable turbo, try starting at 4.4GHZ by changing the cpu multiplier and setting the Vcore to ~1.3V and see if you achieve stability and are within thermal limits.

Izi Mid

Another thing i just noticed is that your RAM is not running at the advertised clock speeds. Your ram is running at 1333mhz when it is designed to run at 2600MHZ. You may need to change your memory settings as well and manually adjust the clock speed for the ram to 2600MHZ.