• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

disconnecting laptop

Started by Billy O, November 18, 2011, 07:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy O

so i got a new laptop which works great, except every few minutes it just disconnects from the wireless for no reason, never had it before on any other laptop, any idea peoples?

JC

Update your wireless drivers, even if it's brand new they could be out of date.

Another problem could be you're using the wrong wireless type (eg. your router might be wireless G but your laptop is trying to use a different type, such as wireless N) but I think that's relatively unlikely as any decent PC should pick that up and automatically use whatever is available.

It could be interference between your wireless network and someone else's close by (Wireless networks normally have channels, check on your modem/router).  This one seems most likely to me, perhaps your new laptop uses a different band of wireless which is interfering with a neighbours connection?
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Billy O

thanks jc, but i dont know how to do any of that lool

JC

Honestly, fixing networking issues is a pain in the ass if you're not physically 'there' to see what is happening etc (ie. to see what modem/router setup you have). 

If you don't know how to do any of the above (and to be fair, most people wouldn't) then I'd suggest either take the laptop back to wherever you got it from and tell them the issue you're having (it might be a common issue with that model and they might know an 'easy' fix) or get someone in to take a look at your network, your ISP/Internet Service Provider might be able to help with that.

Another option would be to go to a friends/family member's house and connect to their wireless and see if the issue continues there..... should narrow it down to a laptop issue or a network issue.  Probably best to do that before either of the other two steps above :P
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

PineappleTom

Quote from: JC on November 18, 2011, 09:09:29 AM
Honestly, fixing networking issues is a pain in the ass if you're not physically 'there' to see what is happening etc (ie. to see what modem/router setup you have). 

If you don't know how to do any of the above (and to be fair, most people wouldn't) then I'd suggest either take the laptop back to wherever you got it from and tell them the issue you're having (it might be a common issue with that model and they might know an 'easy' fix) or get someone in to take a look at your network, your ISP/Internet Service Provider might be able to help with that.

Another option would be to go to a friends/family member's house and connect to their wireless and see if the issue continues there..... should narrow it down to a laptop issue or a network issue.  Probably best to do that before either of the other two steps above :P

This man knows all - definitely try the last step first. It's the sort of thing I always do when I have any technology problems.

Billy O

Well i know that my dad has taken the laptop to work and connected to the internet but not from wireless. So mayby not the laptop?