• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

RWT Legalised?

Started by Vio, April 02, 2012, 11:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vio

My rant about today's update to the Squeal of Fortune, and it's impact on the community and gameplay.
This was a joint commentary with Owen  ##
There's nothing really to watch in the video, so feel free to just listen to the commentary while you 'scape.
Think of it as sort of a mini-podcast.

RWT Legalised? Thoughts on the Squeal of Fortune Update, feat. Bassism (WG)

Anat

LoL at Rachel logging :3

I think it's more a case of the people who now hold a controlling share in Runescape attempting to generate as much profit as possible in a short term means and not being concerned about the longevity of the game. When Jagex release an official and proper response to all the community feedback we'll get a good idea of where the game is going to end up. Maybe the faceless dictators of all this money-generating content will decide they want to continue profiting over the long term and remove the micro-transaction and what ever other similar plans they have for the future. Or maybe they'll stay strong in their mind that they're only in it for a quick buck and ruin the foundation of what many people believe made Runescape a good game. If they do keep the micro-transaction in place I'll be jumping ship before it gets worse. It'll just be a waste of time in the long run knowing that more of this kind of content will be coming our way.

Mark

I'd want to profit too.

I set the standard.

Anat

Mark

Quote from: Anat on April 03, 2012, 05:01:29 AM
Quote from: Mark on April 03, 2012, 04:42:05 AM
I'd want to profit too.
Short-term or long-term?
Short term if theyve already fucked the game over and lost 3/4 of their paid subscriptions

I set the standard.

Anat

Quote from: Mark on April 03, 2012, 05:06:46 AM
I'd want to profit too.
Short-term or long-term?
Short term if theyve already fucked the game over and lost 3/4 of their paid subscriptions
But that hasn't happened.

Mark

Quote from: Anat on April 03, 2012, 05:10:16 AM
Quote from: Mark on April 03, 2012, 05:06:46 AM
I'd want to profit too.
Short-term or long-term?
But that hasn't happened.
Yeah it has o.O.

I set the standard.

Anat

Not that I care to see any kind of proof to the claim that they lost 3/4 of their subscribers, beside it being beyond the point, it's just not true (yet). Would you care to elaborate on the point you're actually trying to get across here Mark because I don't understand what you're trying to say with your topic-straying one-liners?

PineappleTom

Quote from: Anat on April 03, 2012, 07:27:05 AM
Not that I care to see any kind of proof to the claim that they lost 3/4 of their subscribers, beside it being beyond the point, it's just not true (yet). Would you care to elaborate on the point you're actually trying to get across here Mark because I don't understand what you're trying to say with your topic-straying one-liners?

I think he is trying to say: 'Post count'.

Mark

Quote from: Anat on April 03, 2012, 07:27:05 AM
Lol i went way over with 3/4 of course, was just trying to display a point, stats were during before the bot nuke:

1/4 of players are bots.
1/5 players use a bot or have used a bot.

Removing of BH worlds due to majority vote by single pkers killed clan pking for the most.
-Overall declined in the numbers of players in clans + the amount of clans themselves leads to a lower amount of subscriptions.

Removal of bots stopped a significant of clanners from playing as they were just buying GP from mass producing gold farmers - also for some other regular players buying gp.

If I'm too vague I apologise, or if you have some crazy mofoing mod secrets that you feel like enlightening everyone with ill read ##

I set the standard.

scumtroll69

Leaked footage of Jagex shortly after Squeal of Fortune update

inb4

ALSO:

"If you are paying for membership with your card all you need to enter is your password to begin spending your RL cash straight off the credit card for spins of the wheel of fortune.

This means if you're hacked, the hacker can just buy loads of spins with your account and cost you IRL bank."

Anat

Oh yeah totally. The game definitely took a hit because of bots and their impact on game play. And a few other unpopular updates may have made a small dent along the way but for the most part Runescape has remained strong in numbers and growth. While we or some other people may feel an update is bad and decide to leave, no update to date including bot nuke and removal of free trade/wildy has put the company in a position of loss. They were still generating substantial profits and no company under competent control would ever put themselves in a position of loss.

The difference with this update is that it completely changes the values of the game. Completionists all the way down to people who just achieved their first level 70 skill have had their achievements devalued. The game is now catered to short-term players who are prepared to fork out a few dollars here and there to get some quick levels and then they lose interest and disappear because the game has no worth or retaining interest since everything can be obtained instantly.

Basically and what I was saying in my first post is this update will lead us down a path where Scumtroll's post jokes at. Whoever owns Jagex right now has got Runescape development held so tightly by the balls in regards to what kind of updates are pushed out now. It's evident to me from seeing a few jmod replies on the forums that they're not completely to blame for the idea. I could go on but it's all been said 100 times over within the community even within the pmod and high level forums. We have the closest thing to unanimous support with a player base this large and response to our feedback, whenever it comes, will determine if we are indeed heading down this new path or not.

Kung_Man149

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

Taken❒ Single❒ Mad✔
-----------------------------------------
[spoiler]
Former leader of - Rivalry Damage

Former member of - Menacing Warriors

Former member of - Silent Strike

Former member of - Valiant

Former Elite Guardian of - Wilderness Guardians

Former Advisor of - Descendant Guardians

Former member of - The Gladiatorz

Former member of - Wilderness Guardians

Retired at - Poison.[/spoiler]
Here he kneels, the one who doesn't need to, for those who do need to.
---------------------------------
Bold, handsome and straight up awesome.

Bam

RAGE!!!

notrly  :woeh:

Dieyou2000

Combat re-working is they said would be out roughly in 1-2 years at RuneFest 2011.  This will include the following:

1)  Re-statting ALL the armor.  No more meleers just wearing dhide and whips to rip through mages who are supposed to kick their ass.

2)  Graphically updating most if not all current armor.  This has already begun as it is obviously the easiest to do and has no affect on gameplay itself.

3)  Special attacks are possibly going to be detached from their weapons and earned in a different way.  So maybe you can buy d claws but can't use the spec unless you've done WGS.  They weren't especially clear on if this was a definite or how this would be implemented because this would be a major gameplay factor and needs a lot of thought to be done correctly.

Also for my avid questing friends out there.  The guy who is the main person working on the combat re-working is also the main developer in the elf storyline, and he can't continue work on the elf quests until combat re-working is done.  So yeah....we'll be waiting awhile until we get access to the crystal city.  I made it a point to ask the guy directly and that's what he told me. 

I'm going to make it a point to definitely try to go this year again after all this bs happening.  The loyalty thing honestly doesn't annoy me that much because it's just another benefit given to members not unlike the better items and gear we get.

Bonus xp weekend annoys me a bit because people train the expensive skills that should be difficult to get to a high level and it allows them to do it much cheaper.  Sorry, but I think it should be expensive or hard for a reason.  I know everybody gets an equal bonus, but I personally find it a bit cheap and I never play during bonus xp weekends purely for that reason.

The first thing that annoyed me was the refer a friend.  10% boost for any amount of time is a significant thing and I'm not sure if there's a way to abuse the system, but it's a stupid idea in the first place.

Squeal of Fortune I didn't have that huge a problem with when it came out.  So f2p gets a spin a day and p2p gets two.  Apparently f2p get higher chances for members items.  To be honest yeah it's a little cheap, but f2p only got one spin a day and p2p you have something like a 1/1m chance to get a rare item from what I've heard so to me it was just a way to get some xp and maybe a little xp or return sets.

Now that you can buy spins this is ridiculous.  As has been pointed out Jagex is being contradictory no matter what their stance.  That you can buy spins for real money is RWT, gives rich players or kids with their parents credit cards an advantage, and is gambling.

I'm not mad at Jagex because I'm sure the people working on the game had little to nothing to do with this.  This was a decision that came down from the top that they had no choice but to follow.  Honestly, I would just like Jagex to flat out state that fact.  Just tell your players that you didn't want to do this and know it's a bad idea, but were told to by the people in power.

I have to agree that at this point, it doesn't seem like buying actual tradeable items or gp from Jagex is that far off.