• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

[color=limegreen][b][Farming][/b][/color] Herbrunning - Indepth tips and tricks

Started by Dallar, July 28, 2011, 01:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallar

Hi and welcome to my Herbrunning guide. Herbrunning is a simple thing to do and very straight forward yet I'd like to share some of my experience with this exceptionally great way to make riches ingame. Herb-running is not done for experience in the farming skill but for simple moneymaking or gathering of herblore ingredients – What you do with your yields is up to you. In this guide I will take you through some of the best ways to get the highest yield, what seeds are good to use and how you should handle the strategy behind Herb-runs. I hope I can open your eyes to new methods and maybe you will learn something.

There are always a few requirements that you need in order to do an activity. For this activity there are quite a few. You can do herbruns without most of them but I strongly recommend that you take your time to complete all of the listed missions. This guide depends on those items so if you choose to ignore some of the requirements this guide might become obsolete.

My arms Big Adventure quest guide - Needed for a 5th Herb patch
Fairy Tale Pt. 1 quest guide - Needed for Magic secateurs
Ghost Ahoy quest guide - Needed for the Ectophial

Lumbridge Task Guide - Needed for the Explorers Ring 3

61 Farming
74 Hunter
54 Herblore
59 Construction or 100k cash

Lightweight gear (Agile top and legs, Boots of lightness, penance gloves and spottier cape)
Falador shield 3/4 (Increases farming exp gained at Falador patches)

So now that you have all the levels and quests unlocked for the rest of this guide I will teach you how to make Juju Farming potions which will increase your yield tremendously when you are running your herb-runs.  Juju potions are made within the Herblore Habitat which can be found south of Shilo Village.

It's not important what you are going to wear down there. You won't be running much which disables the need of leightweight gear. You don't need equpped tools or weapons so it's totally up to you how you will dress for this activity.

The inventory however, packs a few things that you need at Herblore habitat. The inventory I show in the picture below is not the complete list of items but you will get to buy the rest of the needed items down at the herblore habitat.. More on that later in the guide.

Cash because you will be spending money on equipment once you get to the herblore habitat. More on that to come.
2: Seed dipperYou will need your trusty Seed dipper
3: Spade You will need your trusty spade
4: Rake You will need your trusty rake.
5: Orange tree sabling An orange tree will be planted to attract the Igneous Jadinko's which you are going to catch within the herblore habitat.. More on that later
6: Supercompost Supercomposts doesn't have to be carried in the inventory though. If you are smart you store them in a tool leprechaun who also will be available at the Herblore habitat. That way you save inventory space.

From Falador you will travel to Taverly where you find Bettamax who sells you a teleport pouch to the Habitat for a small fee of 2000 gp pr. teleport.

When you have bought some of the small teleport pouches you use it to be teleported straight to the habitat. Upon arriving you will notice a Papa Mambo who dances a little north to you. Right click him and trade him. He will provide you all the items needed for Jadinko hunting. I suggest you buy the following items (Circled in red on the picture below)

After buying the required items you are ready to hunt Jadinko's. Jadinko's are small dinosaur-like creatures who drop all the required ingredients for the Juju potions. I only focus on the relevant Jadinko's in this guide which is the Common Jadinko and the Igneous Jadinko. They are both relevant because they both drop a required ingredient for the Juju farming pot; The common Jadinko drops the Ugune seed which provides the Ugune herb and the Igneous Jadinko provides the Marble Vine (100% drop) which is the secondary ingredient for Juju farming potion. So how do you catch them?

From Papa Mambo you head south, climb the climbable vine and you should end up in this area:

Red circle: Fruit tree patch. Plant your orange tree here. This patch also works for normal fruit tree farming so you are more than free to use this spot when you train your farming experience.
Yellow circle: Bush patch. When you get it from hunting Common Jadinko's you plant a Lergberry bush here.
Orange circle: Constructed habitat. You build a thermal vent here. The thermal will either require 59 construction or 59k to build. If you don't have the levels you don't have to worry. In this patch you construct a thermal vent.
Blue circle: Flower patch. Do you remember the blue blossom seed you bought from Papa Mambo? Plant that here.
Green circle: Vine patch. This is where you will plant your Ugune seed upon getting it from catching common Jadinko's.

What attracts this creature? - Blue blossom Vine (Does not have to be fully grown, the Jadinko's will be available as soon as you plant the blue blossom seed in the flower patch.
Where does it spawn? - Common Jadinko's spawn north of the patches (Jump over the climbable vine)
What to look out for? - Ugune and lergberry seeds (Good advice is to keep all your gatherings for future reference)

Common Jadinko's are going to be your first target. They drop all the seeds you need in order to proceed. Keep an eye out for the seeds you need for your potion which is Ugune seed (Potion ingredient) and Lergberry seed (Used to attract Igneous Jadinko's when planted in the bush patch). The way you catch them are similar to catching Chinchompas. You put down as many traps as you can and hope for the best.(Please note that getting Ugune seeds can be quite a pain)

What attracts this creature? - Blue blossom Vine, Thermal vent, Lergberry bush and Orange tree (Does not have to be fully grown, the Jadinko's will be available as soon as you plant all the seeds in the particular patches.
Where does it spawn? - Igneous Jadinko's spawn south of the patches (Jump over the climbable vine)
What to look out for? - Marble vines ((100% drop)Good advice is to keep all your gatherings for future reference)

Next up is Igneous Jadinko's. Unlike Common Jadinko's these are fast and doesn't require much effort seeing that the item you wanna loot from it is a 100% drop. I suggest you collect 50-100 Marble vines. The way you catch them are similar to catching Chinchompas. You put down as many traps as you can and hope for the best.

When you have gotten a Ugune seed you go plant it in the Vine patch (Marked green on the picture above) It'll take some time for it to grow (around 1 hour I believe) so you can just do other stuff while waiting for it to grow. When it's fully grown you harvest it like a normal herb and clean the leaves. If you haven't already - Bank the Juju vials and pull out a few of them. Now put your clean ugune herb into the Juju vial, then add a marble vine... You now have Juju farming potion! Congratualations!

For my herb runs I use Toadflax. Toadflax seeds cost less than Toadflax herbs which you can see in the picture below. You will notice that I have put in 47 toadflax herbs as a comparison to the costs of one herb run. 47 Toadflax herbs is the amount of herbs I get from each run average. Highest amount I ever got was 59 and lowest was around 35.

How to get there: Trollheim teleport (2 Fire runes, 2 Law runes)

Important information: Don't drink your Juju potion before you are ready to harvest this patch. You will save time this way.

From this moment you are racing the time (5 minutes) because you drank one dose of your Juju Farming potion. This means that there has got to be no screwing around until you are done harvesting all patches. Now you teleport to the next location which is Canifis.

How to get there: Ectophial teleport

Important information: You are racing against time. Don't screw around - Just run directly to the patch and harvest.
If you find that your inventory is full because of your yields you can use the Tool leprechaun to note them (Use your herb on the tool leprechaun and he notes them free of charge)

How to get there: Explorers Ring (Cabbage port)

Important information: You are racing against time. Don't screw around - Just run directly to the patch and harvest.
If you find that your inventory is full because of your yields you can use the Tool leprechaun to note them (Use your herb on the tool leprechaun and he notes them free of charge)

How to get there: Ardougne Teleport tab

How to get there: Camelot teleport tab

Congratualations! You have completed a Herb run succesfully. Now you can wait 75 minutes until you can do the next lap. Right south of your ending location you can find a bank to bank/restock.

Mark

I set the standard.

JC

Ardy Cape 4 is the cape I'd recommend over any other for farm runs, it teleports you directly to the North Ardy farm patch (Ardy 4 gives unlimited teles).
To strive.
To seek.
To find.
And not to yield.

Wayshow

i didnt know about the juju farming potion :o
and i usually get 5 herbs/patch....
:(

awesome guide :)

Wayshow

oh... is it good to plant.... say
snapdragons in the trollheim lot instead?

Stutsy

:woeh: <--- This is me very often

Harry

Very nice guide, detail and in depth. Nice slayer aswell ;)
[img width=213 height=225]http://i.imgur.com/TrQHoLm.jpg[/img] Your signature contains an image from a website associated with Malware, please reupload it to a different image sharing website.

heitorpacheco

granitecrab

ill make a normal farming guide thats ok

i'm going on a adventure!

Raging Mage2

God dam you make good guides. 

Understandably you posted this ages ago, thank you.

Click image for achievement thread!

#1 In Heaven's Slayer Challenge (2mil exp in 1 month)

Originally WG 16/05/06

Jesus

I'll be sure to use this when i decide to train farming :)