• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Broken Compass (for Solo Guitar)

Started by His Lordship, December 26, 2013, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

His Lordship

This is the latest piece of music I've written.

Broken Compass
for solo classical guitar,
dedicated to and performed by Giacomo Bigoni.

I find it very difficult to write for guitar, harder than for any other instrument.
The hardship lies in the fingerings and the limitations of the hand on the frets, and working out what's playable.
It's my biggest struggle as a composer I think, and this is my first real shot at it, but it won't be my last :)

This title comes from the idea of losing a sense of direction.
This music constantly meanders away from a dance-like accompaniment as if it were lost, and going around in circles.

Broken Compass - Eugene Marshall [2013]

Screenshot of the score as I was composing it.

Patty

I can respect this as a guitarist, although very far from the style I play. Very nicely written and played.

His Lordship

Quote from: Patty on December 26, 2013, 09:41:58 PM
I can respect this as a guitarist, although very far from the style I play. Very nicely written and played.

Can you tell how good this guy is? He did the harmonics so damn flawlessly, and they aren't easy harmonics.
Also, what is *your* style of guitar then?

Patty

Quote from: His Lordship on December 26, 2013, 09:49:46 PM
Quote from: Patty on December 26, 2013, 09:41:58 PM

Can you tell how good this guy is? He did the harmonics so damn flawlessly, and they aren't easy harmonics.
Also, what is *your* style of guitar then?

Yeah I can.

I can write you a huge list of influences if you want, but I'm heavily influenced by a lot of thrash metal guys. so a bit off classical :3. Although I do realise metal takes a lot of influence in classical music.

Tappaga

That was nicely performed, the music style reminds me of a game called Dark Cloud for some reason but i don't know why but it just does. :D *Likes*

BeeBee

Quote from: Tappaga on December 27, 2013, 07:58:27 AM
That was nicely performed, the music style reminds me of a game called Dark Cloud for some reason but i don't know why but it just does. :D *Likes*
Fuck man. I remember playing the Demo of that on Ps2 when I was a kid. I loved it to bits so I went to "game" and "Gamestation" the big video game retailers to purchase it and I asked if they had it...turns out the game was too old so they didn't sell it anymore.

I cri everytiem.
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

Leffe

Nicely done

Curious though because I am a guitar player myself;

How do you write guitar parts as a composer? Do you grab a guitar yourself? I suppose you do to get a bit a feel? haha :P

Write something for me!

Proud core member of what used to be the best and most famous dutch clan - Michie Super

His Lordship

How do I write for guitar without being a guitarist?
No I don't grab a guitar, I just have to imagine the fretboard and use maths to calculate the frets I need and then to reasonably guess if it'll fit under the hand.