• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

Clan Rating System

Started by Al, October 12, 2012, 05:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

So as some of you may know I've been playing this game called NCAA (national collegiate athletic association) Football 13. Football as in American football or gridiron for some of you. On it there's this game mode where you can take an existing team such as Stanford or USC or whatever school and bring them to a championship by recruiting. During the recruiting process, you have a database of players to call and you get a limited amount of time to "call" prospects. You choose various topics to try to garner their interest, make promises such as giving them solid playing time, winning the national championship, the conference championship, many other things. You can "choose a pitch," which is basically trying to find what they are interested in in a football program and school, which includes tradition, coach prestige, coach stability (how long his contract is for and is his position at the school stable), academic prestige, championship contender, television exposure, campus lifestyle, playing style, proximity to home.

Think how we could use a rating system for WG or the RuneScape clan world.

proximity = timezone
playing style = what does the clan focus on?
coach stability = is the leader stable and there to stay?
championship contender = Jagex Cup contender
tradition = how long has the clan been around, what have they contributed to the clan world, their history
television exposure = public relations, what reputation they have in the clan world
coach prestige = what can the leader(s) bring or benefit/teach you?
playing time = what can you bring to the clan?

Post your thoughts and opinions. Could we use a ranking system like this? Other categories people look for in a clan?
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

Runner-up, Best Staff Member, Summer 2012 :-)

RIP other Summer award :<

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

[/spoiler]https://twitter.com/wildguardRS

Owen

Um yeah, I guess.

Or you could just advertise the clan with all it's best attributes without having to organise those attributes into categories for the sake of categories.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Al

Just some extra food for thought, to know where we are and what we are good at, we need to know the categories first.
"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and then suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Vio

Owen

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Panda|Vulcan and Armybuilder, His Lordship and Vio and Patty and Owen - Biggest Bromances - Winter Fun Awards 2013
Owen and Dat Zemus - Most likely to be playing Runescape in 5 years - Winter Fun Awards 2013[/spoi

Vio

Quote from: Owen on October 12, 2012, 08:36:45 PM
Quote from: Kez on October 12, 2012, 07:50:03 PM
http://wildernessguardians.com/table.htm

So out of date.

Compare it to us today:

#1: YES, we're actually in the top 10 oldest clans
#2: NO, we haven't had a proper P2P PK in ages
#3: NO, even though I prove how fun it is countless times, but no-one listens
#4: YES we have official wars once a month
#5: NO we don't have PKRIs weekly because we'd get trashed by every clan out there
#6: YES because Nightshade is awesome
#7: YES because we're at GWD more often than the actual NPCs
#8: SORT-OF, for example we do host the Aussie raid but no one shows up
#9: YES all our non-PvP is optional
#10: NO we don't have over 150 members, we have about 15
#11: NO we don't focus on rank-climbing, we focus on mountain-climbing instead
#12: YES we have a website even if it hasn't been updated in over a year

Ts Stormrage

Stop being such a fanboi :P I do what I can with the time I nhave, as everyone should...

Anywho; we can at least cross 3 no's off that list with some work...
Writer for the Tip.it Times <-- Monthly articles about RuneScape for you to enjoy!
Former Leader of Tal Shiar

Political correctness is the largest assault on free speech ever made. True respect of someone is to tell someone what you really think. People who want those who disagree with them to be punished and silenced so they can feel better about themselves and are free to impose their views on others, are asking for their rights to be removed.

Mojo

tl:dr because of the amount of references to American Football (more commonly known as HandEgg).

Looks like an overly complicated and pointless idea. :3
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Al

K...let me reiterate. I don't think you guys are getting the point lol. I didn't bring this up to suggest this for recruiting. Or to show off how well we are at whatever category. This is just a thought of how clans can be measured on a rating of F to A+ or 1-10.

Why is this important? Because ever since the organized RAW (for those of you that don't know, Rank According to Warring on RSC) rankings fell off the map, the clan world has diminished. I'm not saying the two correlate, but has anyone thought about this? What if people don't want to join warring clans because...

1. you can't rank up anymore
2. the "RAW rankings" is now an opinion-based sticky topic and not organized anymore
3. top clans like VR and EoS (sadly, I'm probably missing some) DDoS attacks to win wars, but still get ranked high

This is bringing in other subjects, but why should the clan world allow cheaters to be the best*? The number of clans that follow no-NH principles have winded down to shit, and we're one of the last clans to follow a code. I'm afraid that this trend will continue and clans will continue to flame, flame-bait, argue, DDoS, hack, troll, and more. Maybe the wilderness isn't the only reason why the PVP clan world is diminishing?

I wasn't exactly around clanning in the RSC world (the "outside" or "off-site" clan world as I call it) when these principles were a lot more common, but judging from the old-school war videos you can tell it was a lot more cleaner and enjoyable. Compare that clan world to the clan world today. Does VR really deserve that plaque in Edgeville bank for the combat cup? What about the clan (don't quite remember) that attacked first even though they got south in the J-cup? These are just a few examples of where honor and code can be applied. I'm sure there's more.

The RAW rank was something that I actually factored into my decision to join. WG -- not too high because I didn't want to be an unknown speck in a 100+ man powerhouse clan. Back when it was still intact, I joined right after WG beat the Crimson Raiders? for their RAW rank. It was a big deal. It motivated me to contribute by working on melee, prayer, ranged, mage, and way more. It had to be done because I wanted to help in war. I wanted to help the clan rise because the RAW rankings was official and widely accepted in the clan world. People had faith in those rankings and I felt like it reflected our clan status as well. What happened to that? Why can't we have ranks again?

I'm proposing that we should create a new, comprehensive ranking methodology that could erase any doubts or bias or whatever it may be that crushed the RAW rankings in the first place. Create a mathematical equation and transcribe it into a computer program that you could punch numbers into to automate it. When you bring in statistics and mathematics into real life, yes it can be inaccurate. If you mess up one part of an equation, you won't solve it. But if we tweak the variables, the categories, eliminate bias, just everything that wasn't in the rankings before, we could get a "more-perfect" rating and rank of a clan.

The only rankings I know of that used: Demoniknights (based on site clicks), RAW (only based on warring), Jagex Cup (based on the category you compete for), or the RuneScape Clan Rankings (just facepalm..lol). From my understanding many Scapers generally choose clans by a few types. One is for competition (warring), second one is community (a friend's clan or just a place to socialize), third maybe to benefit (a skilling clan or questing clan). Obviously this is a ranking system, so we would fall under the competition category. Today's Scapers have almost nothing.

With that being said...this is my closing statement. All we have to do is get it out there. Get it accepted, make it known. The objective is to make all Scapers strive to clan again. The clan world didn't die, RuneScape didn't die, Jagex didn't kill the game. Maybe it's just that Scapers aren't motivated anymore to clan again. With no set system of ranking, clans slinging shit at each other...would you expect them to?

Tried to get my thoughts down as quick as possible and it's very late...I hope you guys get the idea.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

BeeBee

1. you can't rank up anymore - ranking means nothing anyway when there is barely a top 3
2. the "RAW rankings" is now an opinion-based sticky topic and not organized anymore - That's because RAW was a failure.
3. top clans like VR and EoS (sadly, I'm probably missing some) DDoS attacks to win wars, but still get ranked high - We know we killed the clan world. Most clans DDoS now.
Here since 2010 - Retired in 2013

Goodwill is no easy symbol of good wishes. It is an immeasurable and tremendous energy, the atomic energy of the spirit.

Disclaimer: Most things I say are either sarcastic or dark humour, don't take what I say seriously.

Al

Quote from: Panda|Vulcan on October 13, 2012, 12:54:58 PM
1. you can't rank up anymore - ranking means nothing anyway when there is barely a top 3
2. the "RAW rankings" is now an opinion-based sticky topic and not organized anymore - That's because RAW was a failure.
3. top clans like VR and EoS (sadly, I'm probably missing some) DDoS attacks to win wars, but still get ranked high - We know we killed the clan world. Most clans DDoS now.

Got something to say?

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Mojo

Quote from: Al on October 13, 2012, 08:44:56 PM

Got something to say?

I think he just said it.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Pacman Syu

Quote from: Kez on October 12, 2012, 11:20:52 PM
Quote from: Owen on October 12, 2012, 08:36:45 PM
Quote from: Kez on October 12, 2012, 07:50:03 PM
http://wildernessguardians.com/table.htm

So out of date.

Compare it to us today:

#1: YES, we're actually in the top 10 oldest clans
#2: NO, we haven't had a proper P2P PK in ages
#3: NO, even though I prove how fun it is countless times, but no-one listens
#4: YES we have official wars once a month
#5: NO we don't have PKRIs weekly because we'd get trashed by every clan out there
#6: YES because Nightshade is awesome
#7: YES because we're at GWD more often than the actual NPCs
#8: SORT-OF, for example we do host the Aussie raid but no one shows up
#9: YES all our non-PvP is optional
#10: NO we don't have over 150 members, we have about 15
#11: NO we don't focus on rank-climbing, we focus on mountain-climbing instead
#12: YES we have a website even if it hasn't been updated in over a year

Actually, we (WG+DG) seem to have 30 members (2 Advisers, 2 Elite Guardians, 2 Event Masters, 10 Guardians, 3 High Guardians, 2 High Soldiers, 2 Leaders, 1 Raidmaster, 6 Soldiers), not to mention 16 initiates. Not horrible!
NYEK NYEK NYEK.

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ :<

Al

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on October 13, 2012, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Al on October 13, 2012, 08:44:56 PM

Got something to say?

I think he just said it.

Misread, ##

Moving on, what do you guys think appropriate and measureable variables for the equation?

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Owen

television exposure = public relations, what reputation they have in the clan world

These are unquantifiable categories, so you can't exactly use them in an equation...

[spoiler]
[spoiler]

Al

That's going to be a challenge. So the question is, what measureable factors can you use to rate a clan? Amount of time spent as a leader, Jagex cup ranking. Ratio of members to median combat level? Median because it doesn't factor in the outliers (extreme highs and lows)? Clan stability...average length of time of members that full members have stayed in the clan. Let me add to that. Clans in the rankings would then have to submit their own information every time period the rankings are refreshed and re-ordered. K/D ratio, Average number of attendance. Just thought if another I think but I forgot, will get back to this later.

Cheating and DDoS would null the clan the clan from the rankings.

Any of the unquantifiable categories can be written down by the respective clan in a drop-down under the rating or something.

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Vio

Al

Quote from: Kez on October 14, 2012, 05:46:44 AM
DO IT ALREADY

I'd have to go to the people to actually draft it. First a statistician...I have my old AP Stats teacher from HS in mind. And my computer science major friends maybe. Well I'm excited, keep the discussion going and what other quantifiable variables can you factor in? Good chance to make this into something big...contribute!

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Keith

Quote from: Mojohaza1 on October 13, 2012, 01:53:22 AM
tl:dr because of the amount of references to American Football (more commonly known as HandEgg).

dork
:neg:

Mojo

Quote from: Keith on October 15, 2012, 01:46:09 AM
Quote from: Mojohaza1 on October 13, 2012, 01:53:22 AM

dork
:neg:
SMD pls keith :)
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Raging Mage2

Quote from: Al on October 14, 2012, 04:33:59 AM
That's going to be a challenge. So the question is, what measureable factors can you use to rate a clan? Amount of time spent as a leader, Jagex cup ranking. Ratio of members to median combat level? Median because it doesn't factor in the outliers (extreme highs and lows)? Clan stability...average length of time of members that full members have stayed in the clan. Let me add to that. Clans in the rankings would then have to submit their own information every time period the rankings are refreshed and re-ordered. K/D ratio, Average number of attendance. Just thought if another I think but I forgot, will get back to this later.

Cheating and DDoS would null the clan the clan from the rankings.

Any of the unquantifiable categories can be written down by the respective clan in a drop-down under the rating or something.

Please READ the below.

Quote from: Owen on October 14, 2012, 03:31:40 AM

These are unquantifiable categories, so you can't exactly use them in an equation...

Measurable qualities, if they beat x they are ranked higher than x

Click image for achievement thread!

#1 In Heaven's Slayer Challenge (2mil exp in 1 month)

Originally WG 16/05/06

Al

Well that was how RAW ran and eventually it didn't work anymore and fell apart. I want to see if making a system that rates a clan by many factors, not just only who beats who. Anybody can rally up people and try to knock a clan off a rank right?

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Raging Mage2

Quote from: Al on October 15, 2012, 07:26:12 AM
Well that was how RAW ran and eventually it didn't work anymore and fell apart. I want to see if making a system that rates a clan by many factors, not just only who beats who. Anybody clan rally up people and try to knock a clan off a rank right?

That's recruiting and warring isnt it?..

There isnt much else to wilderness clans.

Originally WG 16/05/06

Al

Quote from: Raging Mage2 on October 15, 2012, 07:36:46 AM
Well that was how RAW ran and eventually it didn't work anymore and fell apart. I want to see if making a system that rates a clan by many factors, not just only who beats who. Anybody clan rally up people and try to knock a clan off a rank right?

What would it mean if 100 randomers gathered together and knocked off the #1 rank? That doesn't measure how good the clan is at all?

[spoiler]

(Shared w/ Mojo & 7PB)

Raging Mage2

Quote from: Al on October 15, 2012, 07:53:24 AM
Quote from: Raging Mage2 on October 15, 2012, 07:36:46 AM

What would it mean if 100 randomers gathered together and knocked off the #1 rank? That doesn't measure how good the clan is at all?

If they're in your clan it does.

Originally WG 16/05/06