• Welcome to The Wilderness Guardians - OSRS Clan - PvP, PvM and More - OSRS Mobile Clans.

News:

HELLO DOES THIS ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Mojo, June 21, 2016, 03:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

So the UK has a referendum on whether or not we should remain in the European Union on Thursday.

What do WG members think? especially the British ones :P
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[spoiler=Awards and Older Sigs]

[/spoiler]

Vio

D om

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony

we need to get the fuck out of there

LilRyan

As an American I honestly don't know much on the issue, if anyone would like to explain feel free. :)

Lait_Choco

Quote from: LilRyan on June 21, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
As an American I honestly don't know much on the issue, if anyone would like to explain feel free. :)

Brexit is quite simple. The people will vote if they remain in the European Union or not. Why you ask?
If they leave they can simply stop the flow of eastern europe workers, no more payments to Brussels, no EU rules apply to them, etc.
Either way, there are a few great advantages of leaving and of course a few big disadvantages.

Q: Kimi, do you have any hobbies?
KR: I collect walnuts.

Mojo

I'm voting Remain. Better for the economy, better for workers rights and better for the environment.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

LilRyan

Quote from: Lait_Choco on June 21, 2016, 03:06:53 PM

Brexit is quite simple. The people will vote if they remain in the European Union or not. Why you ask?
If they leave they can simply stop the flow of eastern europe workers, no more payments to Brussels, no EU rules apply to them, etc.
Either way, there are a few great advantages of leaving and of course a few big disadvantages.

So is the main arguement for it to stop bringing in foreign workers? Also not sure on Brussels I will look up information to inform myself.

D om

Quote from: LilRyan on June 21, 2016, 07:42:38 PM
Quote from: Lait_Choco on June 21, 2016, 03:06:53 PM

So is the main arguement for it to stop bringing in foreign workers? Also not sure on Brussels I will look up information to inform myself.

It goes a bit deeper than this, and some argue that the bureaucrats in EU parliament are attempting to create a pan European entity which they can control. I am voting to remain as it will directly impact (negatively) my future industry (aerospace) if the UK were to leave, but I can see why some people will vote to leave.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PineappleTom

I already voted Remain.

LilRyan

Man I thought just America was corrupt as fuck... Kappa

Mojo

Quote from: Vio on June 21, 2016, 06:51:31 AM
Pat Condell summed it up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFt-pRIvL9E
This guy is taking the piss right?

I closed it when he called Obama "the worst US president in history"  :fp:
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Suffud

Honestly. We are fucked either way. The polititions don't give a damn about anybody but themselves so no matter who you vote for/vote to stay in/out your gonna get effected negatively as they don't truly think of the people.

Both vote in/leave campaigns are distorting facts for their own points to seem better. So its hard to understand what exactly is better off. Just look at all the crap about more money going to NHS if we leave, and more if we stay. It's ridiculous.

Ultimately if we leave, I could honestly see the UK splitting up, but potentially even joining America for the market advantages, military ones would also be desirable for both fronts. Switzerland is not in the EU and has a great economy, so it does show you can survive without it. Ultimately other counties are panicking if we leave due to the instability it will cause overall for them too.

Vio

Quote from: Mojo on June 21, 2016, 10:25:36 PM

Obama seems to divide opinion. I personally think he's ok, but aside from that Pat pretty much gets it right.

A European union in principle is not that bad an idea, but not this one. Back in the early days when it was just a means of trade between 8-12 states it was fine, but now the big issue is the transferal of power. All other concerns such as trade, economics, immigration, etc. are secondary. I wouldn't resign our right to have complete democratic control over our own country to a foreign entity unless I was 100% convinced of their authenticity. With the EU I'm at about 40%, and I think voting to leave is the "safe" option. We did perfectly well independently without the EU for several hundred years, and we'll get along just fine without them. After all, the sun never sets on the British Empire.

Mojo

Quote from: Vio on June 22, 2016, 12:22:44 AM
Quote from: Mojo on June 21, 2016, 10:25:36 PM

Obama seems to divide opinion. I personally think he's ok, but aside from that Pat pretty much gets it right.

A European union in principle is not that bad an idea, but not this one. Back in the early days when it was just a means of trade between 8-12 states it was fine, but now the big issue is the transferal of power. All other concerns such as trade, economics, immigration, etc. are secondary. I wouldn't resign our right to have complete democratic control over our own country to a foreign entity unless I was 100% convinced of their authenticity. With the EU I'm at about 40%, and I think voting to leave is the "safe" option. We did perfectly well independently without the EU for several hundred years, and we'll get along just fine without them. After all, the sun never sets on the British Empire.
The EU is not run by a "foreign entity" at all though. It's run by all 28 countries in the same way the UK Parliament is run by MPs from 650 different constituencies (and the useless cunts in the House of Lords). We elect people to the European Parliament, the heads of state on each EU council are elected in their own country and each EU government picks a European Commission representative.

So yeh the UK doesn't have complete power over the EU in the same way Wigan doesn't have complete power over the UK but it's just as democratic if not more democratic when you consider that we don't elect the House of Lords.

Nice sig btw
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Anthony

Quote from: Mojo on June 21, 2016, 04:12:50 PM
I'm voting Remain. Better for the economy, better for workers rights and better for the environment.

If we leave, we can make our own laws, put a stop to all of the immigration taking advantage of the country's benefit system and stop getting dragged into other countries going bankrupt which we feel we need to step in to help making our own country suffer

Mojo

Quote from: Anthony on June 22, 2016, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: Mojo on June 21, 2016, 04:12:50 PM

If we leave, we can make our own laws, put a stop to all of the immigration taking advantage of the country's benefit system and stop getting dragged into other countries going bankrupt which we feel we need to step in to help making our own country suffer
There is a net benefit from migration and there is no way in hell I'm gonna trust the conservatives to protect workers rights or the environment. And btw, Cameron's deal stops EU migrants from claiming most benefits for four years.
14% of UK law is controlled by the EU, we largely do make our own laws.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

O_Beast

The trouble with England is there are far too many idiots who have not read what is what & will simply vote to "send em back to their own country"

I don't vote for anything for other reasons

D om

Immigrants put more money into our economy than they take out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D om

Take a read of this piece by the Financial Times if your interested in the economical impact of Brexit.

https://next.ft.com/content/0260242c-370b-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7#axzz4C6KPHZoN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vio

Quote from: Mojo on June 22, 2016, 12:52:18 AM
The EU is not run by a "foreign entity" at all though. It's run by all 28 countries in the same way the UK Parliament is run by MPs from 650 different constituencies (and the useless cunts in the House of Lords). We elect people to the European Parliament, the heads of state on each EU council are elected in their own country and each EU government picks a European Commission representative.

So yeh the UK doesn't have complete power over the EU in the same way Wigan doesn't have complete power over the UK but it's just as democratic if not more democratic when you consider that we don't elect the House of Lords.

Nice sig btw

But the European Parliament is useless. Our parliament can deal with legislation, the EU parliament doesn't. The laws and regulations are controlled by the European Commission. And we don't get to vote for commissioners - they get nominated. Essentially if there's a law in place that we the people disagree with, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. Not very democratic.

Mojo

Polls have just closed.
Remain looking more likely at this very early stage.
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mojo

Quote from: Mojo on June 23, 2016, 10:35:36 PM
Polls have just closed.
Remain looking more likely at this very early stage.
and now Leave is looking much more likely
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

LilRyan

So do the people decide, or does the government?

Mojo

Quote from: LilRyan on June 24, 2016, 04:05:31 AM
So do the people decide, or does the government?
The people decide, they have answered a "Remain" or "Leave" question on the ballot paper.

Results are coming in here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results
New WG Forums

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]