MadCat64

Suggestions for New Laptop - $1200 USD

Hey people,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good quality gaming laptop for 1200 or less. I'm looking for something that's powerful. I don't care too much about it being bulky or heavy. I would also like it to be durable since I drop my computer every now and then.

Thanks

Try and see if theres a custom laptop builder where you are, you can get a nutty pc with that ammountbon a custom builder, my uncle got a 1050ti i7700 16GB x 1 250ssd 960 sshd with os and everythinf ready to go

11 hours ago, Slumptality said:

for that price you aint gonna get anything special with a laptop, they're stupidly expensive

well it sounds like a big budget to me lol. I currently have desktop but I spent the equivalent of $800 on a decentish laptop when I last bought one.

What I would say is ask yourself if you're really going to be moving around with it? I found myself switching to desktop because I really wasn't taking my laptop anywhere.

That's quite a huge budget tbh. Like Mojo said, you should build a rig with it instead of buying a laptop but prices of GFX cards are way too high atm (Thanks coinminers, I hope it was fucking worth it)

If you still want a decent, powerful and "durable" i would suggest an Acer. If i'm not wrong all of their gaming laptops come with a decent metal cover so if you drop it, it won't break that easily. Decent ones starts from 800$ https://us-store.acer.com/laptops/gaming?dir=desc&order=price&p=1

Just don't fall for the alienmeme :P

Build one.

Rosewill ATX midtower $30

MSI LGA1150 B85M-G43 motherboard $50

i7-4770 CPU $250

EVGA 600w power supply $50

16GB ddr3 ram (its all the same no matter the brand) $80-150

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti GPU $200

Samsung Evo 500GB SSD $150

1TB HDD $50

That's a near top of the line rig for less than $1000, it's very similar to what I'm running right now

to be honest building a PC these days is much more expensive than it used to be due to cryptocurrency mining.

I recommend getting something from Dell, MSI, Acer, ASUS, etc. and if you're looking for a laptop there should be some really good deals. it's too bad you missed the memorial day sale that dell had. the prices on Alienware systems were astronomically cheaper than building a PC yourself.

for this laptop pricerange, make sure you're getting a display that is 1920x1080 at 120hz and hopefully G Sync.

I advise you to be patient and wait for a deal on something you like and has great performance for the money.

check out these as examples:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11571963-evga-sc15-gaming-laptop-i7-7700hq-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-gtx-1060-fhd-w-g-sync-1000-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

https://slickdeals.net/f/11461695-msi-gf72vr651-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-6gb-nvidia-1060-graphics-1080p-1099-99?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

https://slickdeals.net/f/11688927-msi-gf72vr651-17-3-laptop-i7-7700hq-16gb-1060-999-97-s-h-costco-com?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

that website is really good to check every day or two to find deals on gaming laptops and anything else related to computers/video games and other stuff. it's basically just a forum where they post deals. but try to avoid the "sponsored" posts as it's mostlikely not as good of a deal.

if you end up building or buying a desktop, I would shoot for a PC under 800 bucks and then getting a 1ms 144hz monitor and a rapid response keyboard and mouse.

Edited by Sabre Wraith

thanks for all of the replies guys. I didnt know we had so many tech savvy members in the clan! I'm going with laptop because I want it for work. I'm mostly going to be playing away from home. I mainly want to know what specs to look out for and what general knowledge to know when looking for a laptop.

Ok for a laptop in that price range you should demand specs no less than:

Display: FHD 1920x1080 with refresh rate of 120hz and Gsync

CPU: Intel i5 or i7 - quad core 7th or 8th gen

GPU: Nvidea GTX 1060 or higher

RAM: 16 GB

Storage: 128 GB or higher SSD for system, secondary drive 1 TB HDD

if you're patient and watch costco this one or one like it might come back into stock:

https://www.costco.com/.product.1206442.html

Edited by Sabre Wraith
edit

I would recommend checking out either MSI or lenovo. My old tower was an MSI and cost me like £400 and could run all the games i tried on it, same for my laptop but its a lenovo and only cost £350 in a sale and can run alot of higher end games and came with a massive SSD think it was 500gb or around that.

Not long bought a lenovo gaming pc for like £800 and it came with a GT1080 and ive not found a game that it cant run yet lol